Groups

WHY.....

....do stinging nettles hurt so much!?

22 Comments

are you telling a joke? :-D

Original Poster

No, just wondered why they hurt SO much. I stung myself yesterday 3 times and my whole hand was killing me..I nearly cried!

scabbers;2702938

No, just wondered why they hurt SO much. I stung myself yesterday 3 times … No, just wondered why they hurt SO much. I stung myself yesterday 3 times and my whole hand was killing me..I nearly cried!

didnt your mummy ever tell u to rub nettle stings with a dock leaf?? I have to say, I am not convinced it ever worked!!

use a dock leaf and it takes the stinging away :thumbsup:

You should have ****** (ok then urinated) on your hand. It would have neutralised the sting.

'Take a dock leaf, scrunch it up a little and spit on it and wipe on the sting. Either that or vinegar, if you are near home.'

Banned

scabbers;2702938

No, just wondered why they hurt SO much. I stung myself yesterday 3 times … No, just wondered why they hurt SO much. I stung myself yesterday 3 times and my whole hand was killing me..I nearly cried!

Answer to that is, wear gloves :thumbsup:

Banned

charlie2;2702958

use a dot leaf and it takes the stinging away :thumbsup:

A dot leaf, is that the one with ladybird's on?

Original Poster

I've never been sure about the dock leaf thing either but I get my kids to do it. I can still feel the stings today...vicious nettles!

Banned

scabbers;2702981

I've never been sure about the dock leaf thing either but I get my kids … I've never been sure about the dock leaf thing either but I get my kids to do it. I can still feel the stings today...vicious nettles!

Germolene is my answer to stings etc...

scabbers;2702981

I've never been sure about the dock leaf thing either but I get my kids … I've never been sure about the dock leaf thing either but I get my kids to do it. I can still feel the stings today...vicious nettles!

You need to get stung more often - you build up a tolerance and it doesnt hurt so much!:thumbsup:

Original Poster

DLM;2702971

Answer to that is, wear gloves :thumbsup:

I WAS wearing gloves!

Original Poster

Rockhound;2702997

You need to get stung more often - you build up a tolerance and it doesnt … You need to get stung more often - you build up a tolerance and it doesnt hurt so much!:thumbsup:

Hmmm....not sure about that...I think I get my share of stings but these were particularly painful :?

I think stinging nettles hurt because they have poision in their tips. Kind of a defense mechanism against insects who might eat them. Natural Selection at its best

Banned

scabbers;2703025

Hmmm....not sure about that...I think I get my share of stings but these … Hmmm....not sure about that...I think I get my share of stings but these were particularly painful :?

Are you sure, you have not been stung by a bee?

Original Poster

DLM;2703065

Are you sure, you have not been stung by a bee?

It was def. the nettles....

apparently stining nettles are good for arthiritis as are bee stings,tried telling my dad I'm going to throw him in a binch of stinging nettles or get him a bee hive and he just wont have any of it!

Cant beat a bit of dock

try some tcp.stinks like but it should work

Vinegar works at stopping the sting, my daughter grabbed a handul of nettles last week and her aunt covered her hand in vinegar (I thought she had gone mad!) but it worked!

Ronseal stinging nettles - do exactly what it says on the tin

personally i think it hurt because stinging nettles are evil plants - but did you know that when a stinging nettle is in bloom they do not sting - got my husband to check out the theory and it's true he didn't get hurt (I'm not stupid - lol)
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …3611382
      2. EE Retention Deal S811
      3. Who's getting the Xbox X Scorpio? 60 day satisfaction1331
      4. Sonos says let us spy or your stereo will not work22

See more discussions