Why am I getting shoulder pain when learning to drive?

Found 1st Apr
I've been learning with an instructor for a few months in a BMW 1 series with no problems; this week I've gotten insurance on my dads Ford Fiesta and after 1 hour driving I'm experiencing pain in my shoulder/upper arm when shifting into 2nd. Has anyone else experienced this?
Community Updates
Ask
14 Comments
Try adjusting the seat / headrest see if that helps. Do you only get that pain whilst driving?
Are the tyres deflated and hence steering is heavy
Could you be more nervous/tense while driving the fiesta?.
I'm afraid some cars are just uncomfortable for some people, no matter what you do with the seats, although that is certainly worth a try, as is a cushion under you. I had a great car a few years back which always gave me a pain in the hip. It had to go in the end.
The first thing I would try is adjusting the seat height/back until you find a position that's more comfortable. Does the steering column have any adjustment on it? maybe you are over reaching.
niceroundpound58 m ago

Try adjusting the seat / headrest see if that helps. Do you only get that …Try adjusting the seat / headrest see if that helps. Do you only get that pain whilst driving?

Yeah, only when I'm going into gear 2, the angle of almost reaching behind your back is causing me discomfort. I've adjusted the seat/wheel in numerous positions to no success, It's probably a combination of me being weak and a stiff gear box (seems to be a common issue with fiestas).
Have you adjusted the height of the seat as well, assuming that adjusts separately? Putting it down to the lowest may help.
Edited by: "EndlessWaves" 1st Apr
It’s an underlying cry for help. You hate the fact that you’ve dropped from learning in a Beemer to a Feasty.
Once the practicalities settle you’ll be right as rain.

Actually I know what the problem is. The Ford has an indicator stalk. The extra work is unbalancing your shoulders.
Laveer3 h, 34 m ago

Yeah, only when I'm going into gear 2, the angle of almost reaching behind …Yeah, only when I'm going into gear 2, the angle of almost reaching behind your back is causing me discomfort. I've adjusted the seat/wheel in numerous positions to no success, It's probably a combination of me being weak and a stiff gear box (seems to be a common issue with fiestas).

Take up a physical activity. There is some evidence regular Pilates sessions can help muscle conditioning in healthy adults, when compared to doing no exercise.

However, low quality evidence suggests that while Pilates is better than doing nothing, it's no more effective than other forms of physical exercise.

The effectiveness of Pilates is actually uncertain. Though as I have mentioned, it's better than doing no exercise at all.

Good luck.
Edited by: "LemonHead" 1st Apr
Let me get this straight, you're driving for 1 hour in 1st Gear, before changing to 2nd?
Adjust the seat and steering wheel position. You are probably too far away from the wheel or too close. Sit more upright too, it’s more comfortable driving that way in a Fiesta!
If you're nearly reaching behind you in 2nd gear, then you must be sitting far too close to the wheel unless your arms are only 6 inches long lol
Edited by: "chocci" 2nd Apr
allowed9 h, 38 m ago

Was the BMW automatic, their are Ford people and BMW people and you are a …Was the BMW automatic, their are Ford people and BMW people and you are a person with class.

There are pretentious people and then there are Ford people.
Oneday771 m ago

There are pretentious people and then there are Ford people.

Or a car is just a means of transport like an iphone is just a smartphone
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants