Why are ebay prices so often the same or higher than other online retailers?

Found 20th Dec 2017
I find this completely mystifying. For example, there are loads of CPUs which are more expensive than those on amazon. Many of which are older models than those on ebuyer, for example. It makes it so difficult to find good deals there.

Do people just not bother looking elsewhere? Is there some weird scam in place?
Community Updates
Ask
20 Comments
No idea about amazon but it's hard to make money on eBay now as the website and PayPal take a moderate percentage of what you make if you're a power seller... not to mention the people selling may be self employed taxers too.
Edited by: "sparkles21" 20th Dec 2017
Ebay fees and supply and demand. I've seen old i5's listed for higher then the newest stuff as sometimes people will pay the premium to avoid replacing their motherboard.

DDR4 pricing being as high as it is is also keeping the price higher on older cpus.
Basically it’s just greed, sellers want more for second hand goods and eBay has a captive market of people that think they get good deals on eBay when probably 80% of the time it’s cheaper to buy it new elsewhere than second hand on eBay by the time you factor in postage costs etc.
There are some oddities on eBay, I used to buy an item from the wholesalers, which cost me £7.99 a unit, RRP was 24.99 all made from the same material but each one was different if that makes sense.

Which was a fair price with a decent margin. However the price that eBay customers on average paid was £45 to 60 and in some instances £80-100.

Made little sense to me, but the customers were happy at the prices they paid. Was a good greedy profitable line whilst it lasted.
Yeah, greed, these days I pretty much use eBay as a signifier of what stock B and M, or Home Bargains have just stocked up on
I have never in the past (or will ever in the future) buy or sell from Ebay. Ever.
Reason being: always heard people being conned, fake products sold and just the overall inconvenience.
I would rather pay a few extra pounds for the convenience.
I noticed this with video games quite recently. Funny thing is, the auction prices for used games often goes much higher than the game’s price new in online retailers, don’t know why
Depends on what you are looking for, I've found a shower screen, Thermostatic valve, shower drain, basin, taps, fittings all cheaper on E-bay.

Some people do take the P with postage, and some prices are just ridiculous, that's just the seller trying to take advantage.
No pricing scams - you don't have to buy it!

A lot of people are lazy shoppers and will buy the first thing they see. If used properly there are amazing bargains to be had on ebay on both brand new and secondhand items. I've just bought a supposedly reconditioned branded cordless vac for less than 50% of the current price in the shops from an online retailer with a 12 month guarantee! The buyer protection through Paypal is also excelent!

Always worth shopping around though - as often prices are cheaper elsewhere.
Why is Sainsbury more expensive or the same as Tesco?
I’ve never understood eBay prices or what people are prepared to pay on there. I’ve just some Philips Hue stuff and sold a used 2m lightstrip for £2 more than it can be bought new. My dimmer switch, also used, went for £1 less than a new one. I don’t get it, I can only assume that people do not do any price research before bidding
In some cases it is down to purchasing restrictions. On CPUs. A business may have a failed PC/server and IT can only buy from limited sources. Wouldn’t surprise me if eBay crops up as a source to attain all.
Money laundering in some cases is also a good bet.
Though outright stupidity and greed make up the most.
As a buyer you just have to know your prices and as said above, some just are too lazy to check. The same is true of Amazon, which often has the same sellers as ebay, offering the same goods. As a private seller, it is the same rules as selling anywhere else, just assume everyone is out to rob you until proven otherwise. I just sold an £800 item, on a £1 final valuation fee. Checked the guy was who he said he was, posted with insured,tracked, next day post and took the £30 paypal hit. Whats not to like?
I used to like eBay for shifting things I no longer had used for (private seller), but it's not worth the hassle now.

A few times I've gone to sell something worth £40 or so (bear in mind I keep my stuff in immaculate condition), been charged say £7 to £10 by Paypal and eBay, rushed out to post it as soon as I could (often to their door within 2 days of auction end), only for the buyer to make up any old excuse to return it 3 weeks later. You don't even get your original postage refunded.

3 years ago I paid £12 for my camera to go on holiday to London for 2 and a half weeks. It was still as new in box, but I gave it away to the sister in law because I couldn't be doing with the stress of eBay.

I occasionally find it useful for random bits, but gone are the golden days. Amazon have stuck in there and kicked eBay's bum in terms of customer experience.
Shengis2 h, 19 m ago

It isn’t, Tesco is really expensive these days.
cmdr_elito35 m ago

It isn’t, Tesco is really expensive these days.

Whoooooooosh.
Shengis6 h, 3 m ago

Cause Sainsbury’s is a class above! Better quality products at competitive prices, and a better level of customer service!
I hate ebay sellers that selll something only to order it from Amazon and have them send it to you. They cannot make money that way (the price is usually around the same) after fees.
Ebay can be great but you need patience and luck with a knowledge of prices, Amazon on the other hand I will not do business with (unless it's an ebay seller doing as above) after an awful customer service experience.
amaranthavalentine12 h, 16 m ago

I hate ebay sellers that selll something only to order it from Amazon and …I hate ebay sellers that selll something only to order it from Amazon and have them send it to you. They cannot make money that way (the price is usually around the same) after fees.Ebay can be great but you need patience and luck with a knowledge of prices, Amazon on the other hand I will not do business with (unless it's an ebay seller doing as above) after an awful customer service experience.

Of course they make money because they list it at much higher prices than Amazon. If you think the prices are around the same then you need to look again.
deeky14 m ago

Of course they make money because they list it at much higher prices than …Of course they make money because they list it at much higher prices than Amazon. If you think the prices are around the same then you need to look again.

In my experience of this they really are the same, within a few pence of each other anyway and on one occasion Amazon was actualy higher than the price I'd paid on eBay.
It does depend on what you are looking for, so I do check Amazon, even if I won't buy if it's cheaper there. I always buy things elsewhere and never pay much more than Amazon (under £1).
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants