Why are Halo games a 16 ?

Found 24th Nov 2012
Been to Tesco and seen Halo lego set aimed at kids my sons age ( 8 ) and it made me wonder as to why they do this as the Halo games are 16 !
Also i have seen my brother in law play one of the Halo games and cannot for the life of me see why its a 16 , its only Aliens shooting isnt it ?
If so there is far worse on the tv we are watching at the moment ie Film -The Mummy ( just seen a scene of shooting etc ), maybe theres more to it so could people please enlighten me .

And yes my son is always asking if he can have a Halo game and have always said a big fat no ..

30 Comments

its not halo lego

dont confuse lego with mega bloks

as for the rest

meh
Edited by: "Havince" 24th Nov 2012

Answer:

It is wrong to teabag 8 year olds

http://static.tumblr.com/b4bzrne/d64m9gqek/teabag.gif

Original Poster

MisterNecro

Answer:It is wrong to teabag 8 year olds

oO What does teabag mean ?

Original Poster

Havince

its not halo legodont confuse lego with mega bloksas for the restmeh

Lego / mega blocks !!! Why have these things associated to a 16 game ?

https://images.nonexiste.net/popular/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/Halo-Cortana-changes-1-4.png
Edited by: "Discente" 24th Nov 2012

Original Poster

Jesus christ oO.....just googled teabag , does this really happen lol ?

Original Poster

Boogie83e

Sorry if I am being blonde here but what are these pics refering to ? Is it that there are provocative women in it or something ?
Please help as I need a good answer to defend myself and as to why he has to wait 8 yrs lol .

shopstilldrops

Sorry if I am being blonde here but what are these pics refering to ? Is … Sorry if I am being blonde here but what are these pics refering to ? Is it that there are provocative women in it or something ? Please help as I need a good answer to defend myself and as to why he has to wait 8 yrs lol .

The halo games ain't that bad, if you're happy for him to watch films such as mummy this won't be much worse, yes you are shooting aliens and there will be the odd swear word but not many at all.
I'd get him the game and let him know that in order for him to keep it he has to show that the game does not effect his behavior.
Keep an eye on him and I'm sure he'll be fine, or play it with him.

shopstilldrops

Jesus christ oO.....just googled teabag , does this really happen lol ?

Yes, but once the players reach (a mental age of) 18 years old, they stop doing it.

Original Poster

rdtorres

The halo games ain't that bad, if you're happy for him to watch films … The halo games ain't that bad, if you're happy for him to watch films such as mummy this won't be much worse, yes you are shooting aliens and there will be the odd swear word but not many at all.I'd get him the game and let him know that in order for him to keep it he has to show that the game does not effect his behavior.Keep an eye on him and I'm sure he'll be fine, or play it with him.

Mmmm, thanks , you kinda make sense but i just think there must be a reason they put these age restrictions on things and most games I have read up on I can see why but Halo is different and just has me a bit bafflesd ..

As for the reference to the film Mummy , it was on ITV at 3,10pm this afternoon it wasnt a dvd i let him watch or anything , I was just using that as a comparison tbh ..

fanpages

Yes, but once the players reach (a mental age of) 18 years old, they stop … Yes, but once the players reach (a mental age of) 18 years old, they stop doing it.

So no one ever really stops doing it then.

I just love parents these days in halo you basically kill a few thousand things and blow there bodies to pieces in a spray of blood and brains which is all ok but god forbid we ever have a love scene or even people kissing in games lol

fanpages

Yes, but once the players reach (a mental age of) 18 years old, they stop … Yes, but once the players reach (a mental age of) 18 years old, they stop doing it.

lmao I do it when someone's done it to me... not that that's often

Mememo

I just love parents these days in halo you basically kill a few thousand … I just love parents these days in halo you basically kill a few thousand things and blow there bodies to pieces in a spray of blood and brains which is all ok but god forbid we ever have a love scene or even people kissing in games lol

Pretty much no gore at all in Halo. Fine for kids

Banned

Dehumanization

lmao I do it when someone's done it to me... not that that's often

Just to clarify, you still mean whilst playing Halo?

greatest666

Just to clarify, you still mean whilst playing Halo?

LOL both
Edited by: "Dehumanization" 24th Nov 2012

the_mongoose_man

Pretty much no gore at all in Halo. Fine for kids

Haha exactly, I dont know what halo you played with blood and brains being sprayed but I take your point about the love scenes.
The people that give the age ratings are probably just suits ticking boxes: guns- check , one swear word - check, explosion - check,

don't think that all kids can be catagorised the same and don't think that the people that make the age rating know your child better than you do.

If you don't feel comfortable with your boy playing a 16 game that's fine but you are probably the best judge of how mature your kid is and giving them a bit of leeway/ trust can sometimes be good.

We all used to watch/ play games and movies over our age, it really isn't as black and white as the age ratings make out.

Original Poster

rdtorres

Haha exactly, I dont know what halo you played with blood and brains … Haha exactly, I dont know what halo you played with blood and brains being sprayed but I take your point about the love scenes.The people that give the age ratings are probably just suits ticking boxes: guns- check , one swear word - check, explosion - check,don't think that all kids can be catagorised the same and don't think that the people that make the age rating know your child better than you do.If you don't feel comfortable with your boy playing a 16 game that's fine but you are probably the best judge of how mature your kid is and giving them a bit of leeway/ trust can sometimes be good.We all used to watch/ play games and movies over our age, it really isn't as black and white as the age ratings make out.

Thankyou , this is exactly the answer i needed ! I am not an over protective parent and also not the type to let my children do what they want, I have googled halo and still think it is rated wrong for what it is tbh , and yes I agree It depends on the child and how they will handle it / behave ,
I just wanted peoples opinions who had played them and see what they thought and if anyone said its a deffo no and bad ..

Talking about T-bagging, anyone else noticed when you send a hologram out over a recently killed player it teabags them

shopstilldrops

Thankyou , this is exactly the answer i needed ! I am not an over … Thankyou , this is exactly the answer i needed ! I am not an over protective parent and also not the type to let my children do what they want, I have googled halo and still think it is rated wrong for what it is tbh , and yes I agree It depends on the child and how they will handle it / behave ,I just wanted peoples opinions who had played them and see what they thought and if anyone said its a deffo no and bad ..

The effect of "killing" someone or something in it just involves them falling down. Realistically it's not much worse than kids playing soldier outside I guess.

If you're ever concerned about this kind of thing in the future, just google **game name** and "gameplay" and you can watch 5 minutes of what it's really like on youtube.

Try this for Halo: youtube.com/wat…JrA

get him GTA instead

wrong there is loads of blood even in multiplayer

Havince

wrong there is loads of blood even in multiplayer

but it's alien blood

shopstilldrops

Thankyou , this is exactly the answer i needed ! I am not an over … Thankyou , this is exactly the answer i needed ! I am not an over protective parent and also not the type to let my children do what they want, I have googled halo and still think it is rated wrong for what it is tbh , and yes I agree It depends on the child and how they will handle it / behave ,I just wanted peoples opinions who had played them and see what they thought and if anyone said its a deffo no and bad ..

I know this is really really really really really really late. BUT the Halo series is visually, mentally, and emotionally jaw dropping, from the books, to the comics, to the games, the story could really get to you. Not in a bad way in an amazing way. The music is outstanding, the scenery is beautiful, and the story is so well composed at some parts people have cried. When Microsoft was shutting down Halo 2's multiplayer for Halo Reach, 14 people continued playing after the servers were shut down, they stayed for almost an entire month, never letting go of possibly the most successful multiplayer game ever made. But eventually, they were all forcefully kicked from the servers, The Noble 14 became extremely eventful and a historic moment in the Halo Franchise.

KumaLeBear

I know this is really really really really really really late. BUT the … I know this is really really really really really really late. BUT the Halo series is visually, mentally, and emotionally jaw dropping, from the books, to the comics, to the games, the story could really get to you. Not in a bad way in an amazing way. The music is outstanding, the scenery is beautiful, and the story is so well composed at some parts people have cried. When Microsoft was shutting down Halo 2's multiplayer for Halo Reach, 14 people continued playing after the servers were shut down, they stayed for almost an entire month, never letting go of possibly the most successful multiplayer game ever made. But eventually, they were all forcefully kicked from the servers, The Noble 14 became extremely eventful and a historic moment in the Halo Franchise.

Only six lates? King of the understatement, but hey the kid is now 18 months nearer to playing the game, what's not to like!
Edited by: "Henvig" 25th Jul 2014

Why would you register to post info about a game in a thread that was over a year old??

oO

Demonmeister

Why would you register to post info about a game in a thread that was … Why would you register to post info about a game in a thread that was over a year old??oO

Why, is it agains tthe rules

Havince

Why, is it agains tthe rules8)

I don't think so, you can check the rules on this site though I believe, if you're not sure?

I was merely curious why posting a reply to an old thread was required?

I've just checked for you... apparently it is:

In the rules:

"* Bumping old threads without good reason is not permitted and will be classed as spamming, as will thread spoiling and hijacking".
Post a comment
@
    Text