Why are house prices subduing?

Found 19th Apr
What's causing the downturn, or is it a correction?
Community Updates
Ask
17 Comments
People not paying as much, I like houses.
Personally I think it's down to global warming.
The buy to rent market has cooled due to increased requirements on landlords to provide well maintained property, there are also less tax allowances in respect of income from rental property meaning some are selling instead of renting out.
Still going up though (except London which is 57% up since the 2007 peak)
Depends where you are. They're not subdued near me. Still going up.

The only houses not selling are those where the owners are trying it on to see what they can get.
People probably think where heading towards another recession because of Brexit.
SerpentSuicide2 m ago

People probably think where heading towards another recession because of …People probably think where heading towards another recession because of Brexit.

Not sure you're still allowed to say the "B" word on here.
SerpentSuicide26 m ago

People probably think where heading towards another recession because of …People probably think where heading towards another recession because of Brexit.

Hmmmm pound has bounced back against the dollar and rising against the euro to pre Brexit levels, somehow I don’t think so. Bank also considering raising rates.
Guzzle27 m ago

Depends where you are. They're not subdued near me. Still going up.The …Depends where you are. They're not subdued near me. Still going up.The only houses not selling are those where the owners are trying it on to see what they can get.

Loads of those idiots everywhere, it’s a lot harder to charge more as zoopla makes these easy to spot.
Just moving from being as London focused. London was/is a big market for renters and foreign investors. Changes in the law changed the rental market and Brexit has foreign investors scared.

I just feel for anyone who invested their life savings into buying property in or around London only to lose 20%+
cmdr_elito1 h, 32 m ago

Hmmmm pound has bounced back against the dollar and rising against the …Hmmmm pound has bounced back against the dollar and rising against the euro to pre Brexit levels, somehow I don’t think so. Bank also considering raising rates.

Its against the rules to talk about current affairs. This thread is breaking the rules.
deleted396333
I blame Facebook.
We have conveniently forgotten between 1990 and 1992 house prices fell across the country by 21% leaving many in negative equity for years. There is absolutely no guarantee that it won't happen again and many think it is due anytime now. Probably a good thing if ordinary people are not to be driven out of London.
airbus33018 h, 56 m ago

We have conveniently forgotten between 1990 and 1992 house prices fell …We have conveniently forgotten between 1990 and 1992 house prices fell across the country by 21% leaving many in negative equity for years. There is absolutely no guarantee that it won't happen again and many think it is due anytime now. Probably a good thing if ordinary people are not to be driven out of London.

House prices aren't meant to just go up. They are an asset and as such will fall. Of course like most assets with a useful purpose, in your lifetime it will probably go up on average. But if you bought a house just before 2007, good luck.
Prices going up fast where I live near Manchester airport

They out the metrolink in
Now investing billions in airport city creating 15,000 jobs
Edited by: "ashmac" 20th Apr
Dragon_Rager20th Apr

House prices aren't meant to just go up. They are an asset and as such …House prices aren't meant to just go up. They are an asset and as such will fall. Of course like most assets with a useful purpose, in your lifetime it will probably go up on average. But if you bought a house just before 2007, good luck.

House prices have gone up since 2007 (57% in London, 50% where I live in Sussex, 20% UK average )
Edited by: "chocci" 22nd Apr
Not going down in Northants. They are still rising at a fast rate.
Edited by: "markvirgo" 22nd Apr
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants