Why are nintendo switch games so damn expensive!!!

Found 14th Mar
hey guys new to the switch and have just been gob smacke at how expensive these games are. no im not tech guru but is it more expensive putting these games in the cartridges or sonys blu ray discs. i just dont know why the games are the same price as playstations or microsoft games?
Community Updates
AskVideo Games & Consoles
21 Comments
isnt it obvious why they are the same price as ps4 / xbox games? Generally, far more expensive from what I have seen.

Why do you think they should be cheaper?
Edited by: "chocci" 14th Mar
chocci9 m ago

isnt it obvious why they are the same price as ps4 / xbox games? …isnt it obvious why they are the same price as ps4 / xbox games? Generally, far more expensive from what I have seen.Why do you think they should be cheaper?

No i thought you know when they make the games the actual process would be cheaper. Thats the question tbh. I think the quality of content in the cartridge is great
Supply and Demand.
They're expensive because the carts are expensive. The more storage needed on the cart the more expensive the game. I haven't paid more than £45 for a game and thst was on launch day when I bought zelda. Bought many big launch games for a good price. £30 for xenoblade chronicles 2 on its launch day.. Mario for £35 on launch day. Waited a while to pick up certain games like fifa for £20. I've been happy so far with the cost.
Probably a pound each to mass produce they get a big profit
cossy310 m ago

Stop talking bolloc ks. The cart will cost pennies when mass produced. The …Stop talking bolloc ks. The cart will cost pennies when mass produced. The truth is Nintendo charge that much because it can and there are fools willing to pay it.

And there it is for all to see.
The lesser spotted I want everything for nothing simian construct.

Why do people always seem to think that intellectual rights, research and development, distribution networks, taxes, wages, business overheads and many other productions costs should be free?

Nintendo can charge what they like. Though if it isn’t enough they disappear leaving a massive hole in the fabric of time.
cossy313 m ago

Stop talking bolloc ks. The cart will cost pennies when mass produced. The …Stop talking bolloc ks. The cart will cost pennies when mass produced. The truth is Nintendo charge that much because it can and there are fools willing to pay it.

This is exactly what i was thinking
Oneday774 m ago

And there it is for all to see. The lesser spotted I want everything for …And there it is for all to see. The lesser spotted I want everything for nothing simian construct. Why do people always seem to think that intellectual rights, research and development, distribution networks, taxes, wages, business overheads and many other productions costs should be free?Nintendo can charge what they like. Though if it isn’t enough they disappear leaving a massive hole in the fabric of time.

There are far less overheads for a switch game than the other consoles but that isn't even my point anyway, you're kind of having a straw-man argument with yourself there.
Shouldn't this question be asked PRIOR to purchasing a console??
cossy34 m ago

There are far less overheads for a switch game than the other consoles but …There are far less overheads for a switch game than the other consoles but that isn't even my point anyway, you're kind of having a straw-man argument with yourself there.

Really?
You seem to think Nintendo just charge what they want.
As they are the only dedicated latest Gen Console manufacturer. They have to charge a suitable amount to keep trading.

Thanks for ignoring the point that making games costs money. Especially games that don’t have as many micro transactions and most other games suppliers.
Oneday773 m ago

Really? You seem to think Nintendo just charge what they want. As they are …Really? You seem to think Nintendo just charge what they want. As they are the only dedicated latest Gen Console manufacturer. They have to charge a suitable amount to keep trading. Thanks for ignoring the point that making games costs money. Especially games that don’t have as many micro transactions and most other games suppliers.

I didn't ignore the point, making games does cost money and games for the Switch would cost a lot less to make than the other consoles and yet they charge a similar price. Try reading.
nintendo tax

people are stupid
Do a little research lads... It was a discussion last year when the console was released.. I was simply repeating what I researched back then as opposed to just assuming Nintendo like to rip people off which seems to be the popular assumption here. The mind boggles as to why somebody would spend close to £300 for a console that's red hot and outselling almost everything else and expect the games to be cheap for it. Nobody complains about the price of PlayStation games... Why's it any different for an equally as popular console? 3DS games haven't even ever been cheap and thats a handheld console that costs half the price of these home consoles.
So I wouldn't say my answer i's b**locks.. To assume Nintendo are a company who should be selling their games for cheap is though.
This is why you research game costs BEFORE you spend £240-£280 on a console...
The physical releases are stupidly priced, about the only positive is if it’s first party stuff they hold their value really well.
adeljay924 h, 9 m ago

No i thought you know when they make the games the actual process would be …No i thought you know when they make the games the actual process would be cheaper. Thats the question tbh. I think the quality of content in the cartridge is great

Why do you think it would be cheaper to make a cartridge than a disk? Personally, I rarely pay more than £5 for my ps4 games but I'm not one that needs the games on release date.
It is expensive. But I did notice it is expensive for Nintendo's own title. If you check dragon quest/portal knight the price is higher by a bit. However, it is possibly due to the extra work that they need to port and optimize the game on switch as it is not a powerful system by any mean. Another reason is PS4 has been on the market for such a long time so there is bigger market and the demand for their titles is not too much I reckon due to the distribution of the sale. A good example is Nier's automata. After it got an award it is quite hard to get on until recently.

But all of these is my only personal opinion. Hopefully, with such a large sale Nintendo 2nd hand market would get pretty competitive and 2nd hand games for it would be pretty cheap.

On another note, I only spent 35 quid for all 3 splatoon 2 and Mario oddsey and Mario kart on ebay without box. Pretty suspicious at first, but it turns out to be fine and I don't mind the non existence of the box.
Price skimming. It's expensive but they've made an assessment that a higher price at launch offsets the lower demand. And when demand reduces, prices reduces to maximise returns. Nintendo are there to make a profit, a return to shareholders and to cover their costs.
I have a Ps4. For me personally I wait till a game drops to £10. I might have to wait for a few years or even buy it used but it works for me. Although I do understand that normal marketing strategy is to initially skim off from the people who can afford to pay the premium price.

A lot of money is spent to creating and advertise a product which has a limited number of buyers. That’s how it has always been.
BluRay is more expensive than DVD. Same thing really, it might be the same movie or game, but one format is better than the other.
Yes flash memory costs more than optical disc
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants