Why are OEMS making dark mode blue or blackish and not just BLACK?

Posted 7th Feb
Amolded Screens can save battery because black will not be lit, so dark mode is now here on so many apps and devices, but still many OEMS and sites that make the dark mode blue or a shade of black which renders it useless.

HOTUKDEALS app is blue aswell so no saving in battery there, my sony phone dark mode is blue too.

Do OEms and web developer not understanding the purpose or do they decide that blue looks better?

I understand that like hotukdeals developer 10% of the users might have amoled screens on mobiles so its more about the looks, but black looks just as good IMO?

but something like a phone, if the phone has amoled then all the users could be taking advantage?

Am i missing somehting here?
Community Updates
Ask
7 Comments
I thought dark mode was just for user preference, not battery saving?
Sim07/02/2020 12:22

I thought dark mode was just for user preference, not battery saving?

Realistically both

Also is for not hurting your eyes but if they made it black then Technically most of the black your not looking at a screen as them areas are not lit
Edited by: "Gumbon" 7th Feb
I'm not sure about the organic variant but LEDs generally consume less power as they're asked to output less brightness. They don't function like LCDs where the backlight is constant and the amount of light blocked varies.

In fact the right shade of dark blue should use less power than near-black because it's only using one emitter per pixel instead of all of them.
Edited by: "EndlessWaves" 7th Feb
EndlessWaves07/02/2020 13:49

I'm not sure about the organic variant but LEDs generally consume less …I'm not sure about the organic variant but LEDs generally consume less power as they're asked to output less brightness. They don't function like LCDs where the backlight is constant and the amount of light blocked varies.In fact the right shade of dark blue should use less power than near-black because it's only using one emitter per pixel instead of all of them.

I had a feeling someone might bring this up and yes I also don't know if this is the case with oled or amoled
Doesn't seem to make much of a difference going from dark grey to black - xda-developers.com/amo…de/

"When the OnePlus 7 Pro is displaying full-white at 100 nits, the device consumed an average of 1000mW over five minutes. When displaying an “AMOLED black” image, the OnePlus 7 Pro consumed an average of 600mW — the same difference of 400mW in our modeling above. And finally, when measuring dark gray, the device consumed an average between 600mW-610mW. All of these measured power figures fall in line with what we previously modeled. The 10 additional milliwatts of power for the dark gray test is likely not from the display, but from something else in the device — perhaps radio, short SoC spurts, who knows — the power log drains shows a sudden spike in amperage for the last listing that increases the average from 0.6W to 0.61W."
Edited by: "Gormond" 7th Feb
Gormond07/02/2020 15:15

Doesn't seem to make much of a difference going from dark grey to black - …Doesn't seem to make much of a difference going from dark grey to black - https://www.xda-developers.com/amoled-black-vs-gray-dark-mode/"When the OnePlus 7 Pro is displaying full-white at 100 nits, the device consumed an average of 1000mW over five minutes. When displaying an “AMOLED black” image, the OnePlus 7 Pro consumed an average of 600mW — the same difference of 400mW in our modeling above. And finally, when measuring dark gray, the device consumed an average between 600mW-610mW. All of these measured power figures fall in line with what we previously modeled. The 10 additional milliwatts of power for the dark gray test is likely not from the display, but from something else in the device — perhaps radio, short SoC spurts, who knows — the power log drains shows a sudden spike in amperage for the last listing that increases the average from 0.6W to 0.61W."

Haaahhhh thanks for posting wasn't sure what to type into Google to find something like this

Interesting stuff :).

Fair enough, would be good if they can give you option in future my personal preference is AMOLED black
Gumbon07/02/2020 15:33

Haaahhhh thanks for posting wasn't sure what to type into Google to find …Haaahhhh thanks for posting wasn't sure what to type into Google to find something like this Interesting stuff :). Fair enough, would be good if they can give you option in future my personal preference is AMOLED black

Yeah was an interesting question, I couldn't resist looking to see if someone has tested it

My annoyance is the inconsistency between third party apps (atleast on my Samsung S9+), for example WhatsApp seems to completely ignore the option.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants