Unfortunately, this discussion is no longer valid
Expired

Why are people stockpiling toilet paper?

Posted 8th Mar
I went to Sainsburys this afternoon and everyone was looking for toilet paper! What is the fascination with toilet paper? The shelf for toilet paper was nearly empty and the shelf for pasta and rice was pretty much empty, but I could understand about the pasta. However, since when did the Brits love cooking rice?!

The baked beans were also depleted but everything else was still full. I really do not understand the mentality of people stockpiling just these few items?

Why panic buy rice, baked beans and toilet paper?!
Community Updates
Misc
Top comments
Most people now will have no idea why - they are just following everyone else.
I’m assuming people are worried they will have to self isolate for 6 months and will run out.
mutley108/03/2020 19:26

i just went and counted. we have 18 rolls in the cupboard and we use …i just went and counted. we have 18 rolls in the cupboard and we use about 3 rolls a month.

Bloody hell! I personally get through about one a day.
mastablasta08/03/2020 20:29

Been stocking up all provisions since January as it’s plain as day the n …Been stocking up all provisions since January as it’s plain as day the nightmare that is ahead of us. “it’s only the flu” , if only.

40069156-nJJA8.jpg
40070454-u3BEh.jpg
103 Comments
Most people now will have no idea why - they are just following everyone else.
I’m assuming people are worried they will have to self isolate for 6 months and will run out.
lol use water instead????
The re-launched Ready Steady Cook is planning an attempt for the world's largest Tv cookathon - we all have to use the same ingredients: beans, rice, pasta and bog roll.
Were people asking you where the toilet paper was? I doubt it. It’s coincidence. People are stockpiling. Things low in stock go first. Just because you’ve seen two people fighting over toilet paper on Facebook doesn’t mean people are specifically stockpiling it.
Edited by: "JoeyJoJoJunior" 8th Mar
Beans and toilet paper I understand, but you can get rice delivered from loads of takeaway restaurants...
Psychologist said it’s peoples method of coping / trying to be in control. (Unknown potential adversity)
JoeyJoJoJunior08/03/2020 18:56

Were people asking you where the toilet paper was? I doubt it. It’s c …Were people asking you where the toilet paper was? I doubt it. It’s coincidence. People are stockpiling. Things low in stock go first. Just because you’ve seen two people fighting over toilet paper on Facebook doesn’t mean people are specifically stockpiling it.

It’s all over the news people are stockpiling toilet roll which in turn makes more people stockpile it.
Edited by: "_Whatever_" 8th Mar
It just shows how people are influenced by the media.
Edited by: "ScubaDudes" 8th Mar
_Whatever_08/03/2020 19:02

It’s all over the news people are stockpiling toilet roll which in turn m …It’s all over the news people are stockpiling toilet roll which in turn makes more people stockpile it.

exactly. this is not unique to the UK. my cousin lives in Germany and she said the germans have been stockpiling toilet paper for weeks, we have only started. she said the shop would fill the shelves again very quickly the next day but by the end of the day, the shelves would be depleted again. australia is also having problems with people stockpiling toilet paper.

it just seem so odd to me that toilet paper would be at the forefront of people's mind when they think they need to have enough provisions during a quarantine. i guess it maybe sheep mentality as now it has started me thinking i need more toilet paper even though we have 6 months' supply anyway as a norm!
mutley108/03/2020 19:13

exactly. this is not unique to the UK. my cousin lives in Germany and …exactly. this is not unique to the UK. my cousin lives in Germany and she said the germans have been stockpiling toilet paper for weeks, we have only started. she said the shop would fill the shelves again very quickly the next day but by the end of the day, the shelves would be depleted again. australia is also having problems with people stockpiling toilet paper.it just seem so odd to me that toilet paper would be at the forefront of people's mind when they think they need to have enough provisions during a quarantine. i guess it maybe sheep mentality as now it has started me thinking i need more toilet paper even though we have 6 months' supply anyway as a norm!

Out of interest how many rolls does "6 months' supply" equate to in mutley mansions?
IamMT08/03/2020 19:22

Out of interest how many rolls does "6 months' supply" equate to in …Out of interest how many rolls does "6 months' supply" equate to in mutley mansions?

i just went and counted. we have 18 rolls in the cupboard and we use about 3 rolls a month.
Use water much cleaner. Ablution is cleanliness
JoeyJoJoJunior08/03/2020 18:56

Were people asking you where the toilet paper was? I doubt it. It’s c …Were people asking you where the toilet paper was? I doubt it. It’s coincidence. People are stockpiling. Things low in stock go first. Just because you’ve seen two people fighting over toilet paper on Facebook doesn’t mean people are specifically stockpiling it.

You definitely haven’t left you’re house mate. been many stores now toilet paper all gone.
It starts with toilet roll, then the tins and packets, cereals biscuits. Poor old salad is always last.

exactly. this is not unique to the UK. my cousin lives in Germany and …exactly. this is not unique to the UK. my cousin lives in Germany and she said the germans have been stockpiling toilet paper for weeks, we have only started. she said the shop would fill the shelves again very quickly the next day but by the end of the day, the shelves would be depleted again. australia is also having problems with people stockpiling toilet paper.it just seem so odd to me that toilet paper would be at the forefront of people's mind when they think they need to have enough provisions during a quarantine. i guess it maybe sheep mentality as now it has started me thinking i need more toilet paper even though we have 6 months' supply anyway as a norm!

Only reason I can think is that people are expecting they may catch a virus with flu like symptoms so will possibly need more toilet roll to deal with coughing and sneezing possibly upset stomach. If the family become ill they may go through considerable more than usually. It's got no sell by date so won't go to waste.
mutley108/03/2020 19:26

i just went and counted. we have 18 rolls in the cupboard and we use …i just went and counted. we have 18 rolls in the cupboard and we use about 3 rolls a month.

Justsuperman08/03/2020 19:31

You definitely haven’t left you’re house mate. been many stores now toilet …You definitely haven’t left you’re house mate. been many stores now toilet paper all gone.

If you mean I haven’t been out stockpiling like a headcase, then you are correct. You’re actually telling me people are going out to stockpile toilet paper only? You need to have a bit more common sense in your life than believing everything you read. Or you’re actually telling me your local had plenty of everything except toilet paper?
Justsuperman08/03/2020 19:31

You definitely haven’t left you’re house mate. been many stores now toilet …You definitely haven’t left you’re house mate. been many stores now toilet paper all gone.

Really I'm running low and would be wanting to pick some up tomorrow as part of my usual shop.
I bought one extra weeks worth as well as some powdered milk, a few weeks ago, just in case we needed to isolate. We have plenty of stuff in cupboard and freezer to last a few days other than those items. That is the only extra I have bought. 5 people in my house and all pooh a lot / tummy troubles etc so that was the one thing we couldn’t cope without. It’s not like you need to isolate for more than a few days so I don’t understand the craziness.
Edited by: "jude7219" 8th Mar
JoeyJoJoJunior08/03/2020 19:33

If you mean I haven’t been out stockpiling like a headcase, then you are c …If you mean I haven’t been out stockpiling like a headcase, then you are correct. You’re actually telling me people are going out to stockpile toilet paper only? You need to have a bit more common sense in your life than believing everything you read. Or you’re actually telling me your local had plenty of everything except toilet paper?

Wasn’t my local been places home bargains and Asda all gone. yet loads of hand wash available absolutely insane I asked the girl on till and she said they only had a delivery this morning and we both looked at each other to say wtf.. people are nuts
myusernamehasgone23408/03/2020 19:33

Really I'm running low and would be wanting to pick some up …Really I'm running low and would be wanting to pick some up tomorrow as part of my usual shop.

It’s nuts. there will be places that have some tho but probably the extra expensive stuff the less off can’t afford. crazy as few weeks ago picked up 18 rolls for £4 nikki elite paper good stuff

Really I'm running low and would be wanting to pick some up …Really I'm running low and would be wanting to pick some up tomorrow as part of my usual shop.

Loads in HB Swindon this lunch time.

my cousin told me about people stockpiling toilet paper in germany when i told her that people are stockpiling hand sanitiser in the UK. i thought it was odd that the germans did this and when i went to the supermarket today i saw it first hand. people were muttering toilet paper as i walked past them in the shop as their must get item.

sainsburys is hardly your go to shop for rice as their rice is just about ok but hardly delicious so all the rice being gone means people must be pretty desperate! all the pasta were gone but i can understand pasta being stockpiled as everyone loves pasta.
IamMT08/03/2020 19:33

we are not in the house often and i hardly ever go to the toilet, lol
Tesco are limiting people now to how many rolls of paper and hand wash they can buy. As always the media causes panic.
mutley108/03/2020 19:44

we are not in the house often and i hardly ever go to the toilet, lol …we are not in the house often and i hardly ever go to the toilet, lol

Would explain a few things then
CaptainSpaulding08/03/2020 19:44

Tesco are limiting people now to how many rolls of paper and hand …Tesco are limiting people now to how many rolls of paper and hand wash they can buy. As always the media causes panic.

i think the supermarket limiting provisions per person is only fuelling everyone's fears even further. tesco is the first supermarket to restrict provision per customer. i just hope the others don't follow and cause further panic.

It's a global phenomenon, quite surreal.

40068882-RrcaW.jpg40068882-XzT9o.jpg40068882-1QG1U.jpg40068882-2iVWV.jpg
mutley108/03/2020 19:52

i think the supermarket limiting provisions per person is only fuelling …i think the supermarket limiting provisions per person is only fuelling everyone's fears even further. tesco is the first supermarket to restrict provision per customer. i just hope the others don't follow and cause further panic.

Nope waitrose & Asda have as well
Edited by: "fearona" 8th Mar

i think the supermarket limiting provisions per person is only fuelling …i think the supermarket limiting provisions per person is only fuelling everyone's fears even further. tesco is the first supermarket to restrict provision per customer. i just hope the others don't follow and cause further panic.

The media are the ones causing panic with further fuel added to the fire by the stupid people rushing out and clearing the shelves.

Tesco are merely trying to ensure supplies for the majority.
tempt08/03/2020 19:53

It's a global phenomenon, quite surreal.[Image] [Image] [Image] [Image]

yes, apparently this is australia running on toilet paper this week, really crazy.

So do I. I had Indian last night
It’ll be brilliant when no sod is in the shops as they have stockpiled. Less chance of catching it and no muppets in the shops!
Funny enough my mum ordered toilet roll with her iceland order and they didn't deliver the toilet roll because it was out of stock.
Why not "stockpile" it?
It's cheap and it's not as though it's going to go off.
We've always bought at least 200 rolls at once, and we only buy when there's a good offer on.
Edited by: "Erudite" 8th Mar
40069022-Y5nJk.jpg
Can’t even buy hand wash
It is a feedback loop.

Once a few people do it, those who wouldn't think about doing it end up doing it because they fear that as part of their normal shop they won't be able to buy their usual amount, and so they stockpile and so on and so on.

Ultimately though it won't take long to get some back on the shelves and people you'd think won't stockpile that much so once everyone has what they think they need people won't be buying any more.

There are lots of factories in this country that make toilet paper so it shouldn't take long for it to come back in stock.

You can also tell who the best supermarkets are in terms of logistics. So many of the UK pictures are of Sainsbury's, they clearly don't run much of a stockpile of goods. It was interesting to hear other supermarkets say they'd implemented measures they had in place for a no-deal Brexit.
CaptainSpaulding08/03/2020 19:44

Tesco are limiting people now to how many rolls of paper and hand …Tesco are limiting people now to how many rolls of paper and hand wash they can buy. As always the media causes panic.

People just go in and out of the store to buy more, its a waste of time.

Anyway, to answer the main topic question .

People are idiots!

I guess they're wanting to self isolate, so stocking up on the basics. The media have perpetuated this a bit!

hopefully i have enough hoop tickets to last
Edited by: "Jace_Phoenix" 8th Mar
Been stocking up all provisions since January as it’s plain as day the nightmare that is ahead of us.

“it’s only the flu” , if only.
mastablasta08/03/2020 20:29

Been stocking up all provisions since January as it’s plain as day the n …Been stocking up all provisions since January as it’s plain as day the nightmare that is ahead of us. “it’s only the flu” , if only.

40069156-nJJA8.jpg
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Discussions

Top Merchants