Why are the Ryzen processors getting so much hype compared to Intel?

Posted 1st Jul
My hardware knowledge is out of date but seeing on the laptop threads that Ryzen is better than Intel now? Not sure what i have missed Intel always used to be top dog but i am years out of date.

Is Ryzen 4700u the one to go for on a laptop compared to 10th year i5?
Community Updates
Ask
13 Comments
Bertz9901/07/2020 08:36

Comment deleted

Intel's biggest problem is that they haven't been able to reliably able to produce silicon for quite a while. This has led to shortages, which has also led to the big business machine manufacturers having Ryzen based machines in their range, which has also increased AMD's profile.
Bertz9901/07/2020 09:15

Comment deleted

If you read what I posted, I never said Intel were in financial trouble - there has been plenty of acknowledgement of their inability to meet demand in the IT press over the past couple of years. I also never said the big manufacturers hadn't used AMD. But the choice across their ranges of business and home machines in terms of AMD has risen significantly over the same time period.

Even at the lower end of home machines - as in sub £250 Chromebooks for example - the A4 has had a second life, because Intel haven't been able to produce enough Celerons.

And let's face it - the third supplier isn't going to make much difference. The fourth "brand" will probably make more difference - given the Chinese have now got a policy of replacing all non-Chinese CPUs powering business machines by 2023.
Ryzen do give you some serious computing power for your money, I spent around 900£ building a half decent PC (Ryzen 3700X - 64GB ram etc) and it is brilliant.
I would have spent a lot more on an intel system for the same power.
At work last year i was issued with latest version of the HP business laptop 14" standard thing we get new every year and it was the AMD Ryzen 5, 8GB RAM, 512SSD.

My word, it reminded me of the early 2000s! The fan was constantly blowing and it would slow down when it was hotter. I had never experienced anything like this for over a decade!

After many complaints from many members of staff we were happy to get back to Intel i5 laptops and all is quiet and hushed, you can rest them on your legs when your not in the office!

I know if you want to play basic games etc. that might not be an issue but really if you want to just get on in life with out the fuss Intel seems to be better option IME.
AMD are also more consumer friendly, if you bought a MSI B450 Tomahawk (a very popular and good MB) with a 2700x in 2018 you have been able to upgrade to a 3700x and will be able to upgrade to a 4700x when it's released. This is something you cannot do on Intel's platform, you would have had to buy a new motherboard each time. In addition to this if you want to overclock on an Intel platform you have to pay a hefty premium and go for their high end chipsets along with more expensive K series processors. Also replacing a CPU takes 10 minutes tops but replacing a motherboard can take much longer and for many people not worth the hassle.
Edited by: "Gormond" 1st Jul
I now swear by Ryzen, but each to there own, what I cant stand is automatic dismissal of AMD because your mates brother who once built a PC said Intel is the best.

My own personal PC is a 1st gen Ryzen 5 1600X, I prefer to game on console, but with my RX580 there is nothing I cannot play at 1080 60fps at a very acceptable detail level..

I built my son a 2600 with a RX 580 for Christmas 2018 again he is very happy with it, and has no desire to upgrade for a while.

The cost vs performance, destroys what Intel offers, while there CPUs may inch over what AMD offers in some areas, the value simply cant beat AMD.
Edited by: "MrSprkle" 1st Jul
maddogb01/07/2020 10:58

Comment deleted

Seems like a lot of reviews state they get hot and throttle heavily across a number of brands.
groenleader01/07/2020 12:35

Seems like a lot of reviews state they get hot and throttle heavily across …Seems like a lot of reviews state they get hot and throttle heavily across a number of brands.

probably from bad designs placing air allowing blockage when used on soft surfaces, the intels being geared towards lower performance expectations tend to thermal throttle quite a bit earlier in those circumstances.

have no idea why my post was deleted, it did not contravene posting rules as claimed by the admin,

The question by the OP was, why are AMD cpus getting so much attention? aside from other points intel are being watched for their previous antics so manufacturers are now going to use AMDs offerings where value is obvious

theguardian.com/tec…ion
Edited by: "maddogb" 1st Jul
Bang for buck, you can’t go wrong with ryzen. Intel still win top end on gaming only but you pay through the nose for it. But if that’s your thing at least you have a choice now..
maddogb01/07/2020 13:05

probably from bad designs placing air allowing blockage when used on soft …probably from bad designs placing air allowing blockage when used on soft surfaces, the intels being geared towards lower performance expectations tend to thermal throttle quite a bit earlier in those circumstances.have no idea why my post was deleted, it did not contravene posting rules as claimed by the admin, The question by the OP was, why are AMD cpus getting so much attention? aside from other points intel are being watched for their previous antics so manufacturers are now going to use AMDs offerings where value is obvioushttps://www.theguardian.com/technology/2009/may/13/intel-european-commission

They were used on desks in the office it sounded like a hair dressers!
groenleader01/07/2020 09:52

At work last year i was issued with latest version of the HP business …At work last year i was issued with latest version of the HP business laptop 14" standard thing we get new every year and it was the AMD Ryzen 5, 8GB RAM, 512SSD. My word, it reminded me of the early 2000s! The fan was constantly blowing and it would slow down when it was hotter. I had never experienced anything like this for over a decade!After many complaints from many members of staff we were happy to get back to Intel i5 laptops and all is quiet and hushed, you can rest them on your legs when your not in the office!I know if you want to play basic games etc. that might not be an issue but really if you want to just get on in life with out the fuss Intel seems to be better option IME.

In that case I would blame Microsoft and HP - I have a Huawei Matebook D 2019, and the fan doesn't blow too much on it doing day to day stuff. It does a bit when gaming, which isn't too often. When I was looking for a machine, the most common complaint about the HP Ryzen machines was that the CPU throttled quickly due to poor thermal control. Whereas the Matebook was decent. My wife and both kids have Asus Ryzen machines (2 Ryzen 3, and 1 Ryzen 5, and they generally run cool).

As to why I blame Microsoft and HP though? HP partially for the above, and also because at work we have EliteBook series machines with i5 8th Gen CPUs. When the machines are running Windows 10, they usually start spinning up the fans once they've booted. And frequently during the day. Doing a similar workload on my one, running RHEL 8, the fan spins up nowhere near as often. Mind you, as soon as I boot up the Windows VM, the fan starts going mad almost immediately.
Intel's been drip-feeding their customers for years - oh! , and if you have to buy a new MB that's just part of the plan.
I just go with the flow , sheep
Post a comment
@
    Text