Why are there never any new political parties that 'make it'?

20 replies
Found 4th Jul
Tories/ Labour = Boring. Nothing ever changes. All the others, who? When will something new emerge/ why can't a new powerful party emerge?

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
20 Comments

Totally agree, would be great to see a party made up of everyday people like us, firemen, police officers, window cleaners and office workers, parents, teachers etc, the list goes on. People who the decisions affect. Not the same two parties.

Because most people aren't interested in radical parties, they lead to instability and war. Sinn Fein, UKIP, Ulster Unionist Party, DUP are pretty hardline or you could support the co-operative party if you are looking for happy clappers LINK

Two issues:

- Financing
- Nobody trusts politicians

Original Poster

davewave

Because most people aren't interested in radical parties, they lead to … Because most people aren't interested in radical parties, they lead to instability and war. Sinn Fein, UKIP, Ulster Unionist Party, DUP are pretty hardline or you could support the co-operative party if you are looking for happy clappers LINK

Dave they deleted my civil war thread but I was replying to your question with the following "the police and the army would fight for the opposition but who are the opposition, the old fuddy duddys in parliament and the commons? not much of an opponent seemingly as they themselves don't appear to be the happiest/ healthiest of people!?" I added "that my civil war is already going on, we fight amoung ourselves over anything and everything, individually" That's why nothing ever improves for the collective - it only gets worse

JumpMan1980

Dave they deleted my civil war thread but I was replying to your question … Dave they deleted my civil war thread but I was replying to your question with the following "the police and the army would fight for the opposition but who are the opposition, the old fuddy duddys in parliament and the commons? not much of an opponent seemingly as they themselves don't appear to be the happiest/ healthiest of people!?" I added "that my civil war is already going on, we fight amoung ourselves over anything and everything, individually" That's why nothing ever improves for the collective - it only gets worse

in all honesty not enough people have faith in the more radical/outlying parties.

As such they don't perform well at elections.

Not enough people share your sentiment which is why there isn't the radical shift in UK politics which you'd like.

Original Poster

davewave

in all honesty not enough people have faith in the more radical/outlying … in all honesty not enough people have faith in the more radical/outlying parties.As such they don't perform well at elections.Not enough people share your sentiment which is why there isn't the radical shift in UK politics which you'd like.

Fair play.

JumpMan1980

why radical? why not genuine interest in the improvement of people's … why radical? why not genuine interest in the improvement of people's lives in it's basic form, maybe that would be radical!

You might read post 2 again...
you could support the co-operative party if you are looking for happy clappers
LINK

About the Party
As the political party of the co-operative movement, we believe that things work best when ordinary people have a voice, and when services are accountable to the people who use them.

Railways run as a partnership between passengers and staff. Tackling the housing crisis through co-operative housing. Fans having a say in their sports club. Credit unions as an alternative to rip-off payday lenders. Shops owned by their customers that give back to the community.

Whether in government or opposition, for a century the Co-operative Party has been a voice for co-operative values and principles in the places where decisions are taken, and laws are made.

Because when a new party comes along and achieves a degree of success, their policies are adopted by one or more of the main parties taking a lot of the support with them.

The 3 examples in my lifetime:

SDP - was formed in the early 80s by a few Labour MPs unhappy with how far to the left the party was under Michael Foot, result was Labour's steady move to the centre ground over the next 10-15 years.

Green Party - Did very well in euro election in the late 80s/ early 90s with a lot of polls suggesting they could make a breakthrough nationally, result was the adoption of a number of environmental policies by all 3 main parties - mainly 'green' taxes.

UKIP - Steadily increasing support peaking with them 'winning' the 2014 euro election. Cameron included in/out referendum in his 2015 manifesto, out vote combined with tories being solidly behind brexit renders UKIP largely meaningless.

All 3 of these parties succeeded in the aims to varying degrees but not in the form of long term electoral support.

Edited by: "spoo" 4th Jul

The day to day running of society is boring and any radical decision can have major implications.
Its all a balancing act and that's why Brexit can tip society for good or bad?
Most of the Corbaniesters are to young to remember the seventies and eighties with its rampant inflation and unemployment.
For the last few decades GB have been run by boring parties of the centre ground,with even Blair privatising part of the NHS and bringing in tuition fees.
Which may seem radical and detrimental to some but privatizing correctly overseen can be for the good and tuition fees have seen a large increase in students.

morrig

...tuition fees have seen a large increase in students.

So you think people didn't go to uni because they weren't being charged enough?

Our electoral system
It stacked against anybody breaking through

There are two things I like about politicians.....................THEIR FACES.

Wongy110

Our electoral systemIt stacked against anybody breaking through

This.

First Past the Post pretty much guarantees a two party country.

To have any chance of winning, any new party would need around 650 candidates spread fairly evenly across the country. This would take years and years to organise. As Spoo cleverly states above, by then your USP (unique selling point) would have been stolen.

Some kind of proportional representation might help though.

The UK Veterans’ and People’s Party is the latest one after becoming disillusioned by how politicians were campaigning during the election.

I read what it was about and thought ok fair enough then as I carried on reading it said 92% of the party believe in the death penalty no way I'd support that we as a country have grown out of that outdated barbaric behaviour a long time ago.

Because the media rip them apart . If one amateur member of a new party makes a non pc gaff they along with their new party will be ridiculed and vilified by our bent media as its an easy story to lead with ,lazy journalism.

The public fall for this and positively encourage it as most of them are ill informed sheep that vote for what they are told to vote for or for whoever happens to be flavour of the month.

The Sheepeople only have themselves to blame.

Because you would have to find out what a new party is about, not just go with the stereotype of what you think they are. And people are lazy.

davewave10 h, 16 m ago

You might read post 2 again...you could support the co-operative party if …You might read post 2 again...you could support the co-operative party if you are looking for happy clappers LINKAbout the PartyAs the political party of the co-operative movement, we believe that things work best when ordinary people have a voice, and when services are accountable to the people who use them.Railways run as a partnership between passengers and staff. Tackling the housing crisis through co-operative housing. Fans having a say in their sports club. Credit unions as an alternative to rip-off payday lenders. Shops owned by their customers that give back to the community.Whether in government or opposition, for a century the Co-operative Party has been a voice for co-operative values and principles in the places where decisions are taken, and laws are made.

I would vote for them in a heartbeat if they weren't in bed with Labour. Shame.

There is a green party MP and they are gaining votes so it is possible.

You just have to look at the various rise and fall of Lib dem votes to see why it's so difficult. East to promise stuff, then reality happens, policies must be tempered and bandwagoners call you traitor.

SNP rose from the ashes fir Scotland.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Topcashback Trick or Treat competition59608
    2. Win a £100 Amazon Voucher From LoveMyVouchers11
    3. Win a Fisher-Price Think & Learn Teach 'n tag Movi @ Netmums33
    4. Win a Mama to Bee necklace from Blooming Lovely Jewellery, worth £249! @ Ne…33

See more discussions