Why are there so many dishonest sellers on Gumtree/eBay?

Found 27th Feb 2014
Bit of a rant but, can't get over the amount of dishonest/scummy sellers on eBay/Gumtree and I don't mean scammers, just people selling items and not being honest about the condition.

This week alone, someone came to me to sell their iPad which was listed as being in new condition, with not a single mark. Nope, not a single mark...lots of the sodding things. Loads and loads of scratches all over the screen. Definitely not in new condition. This was Gumtree.
Today my partner came to a deal with someone on eBay for their iPad that didn't sell last week. Traveled to them. Again listed as perfect, no marks front or back. Generally people on eBay with good feedback don't tend to want to ruin their feedback. Been proven wrong on that point tonight. This iPad had a few tiny scratches on the screen. I could live with it, but not perfect condition. And one deep scratch on the back which anyone could see, not just fussy me :p. I however didn't buy it as when I put the iPad down to get the money out, I noticed what looked like a scuff on the bezel, ie there was a fine line at the bottom which was white instead of black. I thought maybe it was muck so I used my nail to try and move it. Instead of muck moving the front bezel lifted up :O.
Seemed like they genuinely didn't know and said they'd take it to the Apple store. Now I wonder, as it's back on eBay with the exact same description. At least the Gumtree person when they relisted it changed it to say it had marks on the screen.

In the past I've gone to buy or do swaps for mint/new condition items and many have had scratches, at least two have had cracks in them. Two I can think of relisted when the deal didn't go through and again stated perfect condition.

Sometimes I wonder if I'm the only honest seller. Yet I get stuck with muppets offering me generally 25% less than my asking price, despite my items genuinely being in perfect condition.

Anyone else come across this?

(PS, I know I'm not the only honest seller on there, some people do say their items have scratches and try to get a picture of it).
Community Updates
21 Comments
Couldn't agree with you more-not sure if there's an answer to this problem, other than 'buyer beware'.
I know what you mean, but from the other side of the coin, I dropped my phone, screen cracked, I listed it as such, you know, it has a broken screen, sold as spares repairs, apart from the cracked screen it works fine, had a case opened against me, not as described, apparentley it had a broken screen !!! I blame the parents ;-)
Ps I won the case.
carlos1985

I know what you mean, but from the other side of the coin, I dropped my … I know what you mean, but from the other side of the coin, I dropped my phone, screen cracked, I listed it as such, you know, it has a broken screen, sold as spares repairs, apart from the cracked screen it works fine, had a case opened against me, not as described, apparentley it had a broken screen !!! I blame the parents ;-)Ps I won the case.

Ah yes, the ones who don't read. Very often when I sell a phone I get asked the network, even when it says in the title. About 6 months ago I sold an iPhone 4. Was listed at £100 as the camera didn't work. Cheapest iPhone 4 you could get at the time in this area was £150 and that's if you were lucky. Got one guy who brought his whole family when he came to collect it then was upset when the camera didn't work. Doh. Think I should give in lol.
does my head in when you win fair and square and they want to cancel it because something "is now broken" aka they want a higher price. happened to me again a few weeks ago, got cancelled and was relisted like new 10 minutes later...I made sure I won it again and then didn't pay...they waste my time, I waste theirs!
Apogee00

does my head in when you win fair and square and they want to cancel it … does my head in when you win fair and square and they want to cancel it because something "is now broken" aka they want a higher price. happened to me again a few weeks ago, got cancelled and was relisted like new 10 minutes later...I made sure I won it again and then didn't pay...they waste my time, I waste theirs!

Yep happened to, a guy something... didnt sell, listed again didnt sell. Listed again and i won it for £92 which is £100 cheaper than he wanted. He emailed and said sorry they checked it just now and its now faulty the dvd rom is faulty. I said ok no problem i will take it faulty. They said sorry we dont want to sell it like that.

I negged there 100% positive 1874 feedbacks. Ebay removed my neg saying i didnt pay. Which is true as i planned to collect it as it was local.

a few days later it popped back on to ebay, same dvd drive you can tell.
I remember this thread having a lot more comments (_;)
DestinyCalls815

oO
There's a lot of stolen goods getting moved on through these sites. Personally, I would not buy a high value item through an auction site
Its not just used items, do a search for AAA 2600mah batteries, and you will find them on ebay, but AAA sized nimh batteries only have a max capacity of 1100mah. (Its a fact)
These will be cheap 700mah AAA with a fake label made to make them attractive, but if you tried to charge them from flat with a non smart charger to 2700 then they would pop spill their insides etc, so very unsafe.
Looking at the sellers feedback for these, they have loads of bad feedback for cheap Chinese chargers which are described as being lethal , i.e popping, burning etc.
But ebay does not care
We are selling the wife's tablet through Gumtree, had someone email us an offer which we accepted and they wanted to pay by bank transfer, ok so after a few more emails and tel numbers exchanged we sent Bank details as requested, the reply we got next was .... "oh sorry but my mums just rang and shes bought me one from currys so i will after leave it".
We found it a bit strange this was straight after she had got hold of our bank details, were hoping it's honest, but what can you do.
dc7911

We are selling the wife's tablet through Gumtree, had someone email us an … We are selling the wife's tablet through Gumtree, had someone email us an offer which we accepted and they wanted to pay by bank transfer, ok so after a few more emails and tel numbers exchanged we sent Bank details as requested, the reply we got next was .... "oh sorry but my mums just rang and shes bought me one from currys so i will after leave it".We found it a bit strange this was straight after she had got hold of our bank details, were hoping it's honest, but what can you do.

In theory giving your account number and sort-code is safe, its also printed on any checks you write
I only ever sell phones or high value stuff through Gumtree.

Cuts out scammers
I bought an iPhone 4s, which tbf is in good condition. After 1 week the lock button got stuck in, I took it to the Apple shop and they instantly said that the top half of the front of the phone had been taken off, and replaced with non-apple parts. This obviously voided the warranty. I complained to eBay explaining a professional had told me it had been tampered with, and they sided with the seller! Apparently because the phone wasn't damaged when I received it, I had no claim against the seller. Even though he didn't bother to mention the previous damage of the phone. eBay don't help the honest customers they have, which is half the problem.
lumsdot

In theory giving your account number and sort-code is safe, its also … In theory giving your account number and sort-code is safe, its also printed on any checks you write

Never thought of that thankyou, we never gave our name or anything either.
High value goods like phones, laptops ect. Gumtree cash on collection only.
OldEnglish

High value goods like phones, laptops ect. Gumtree cash on collection … High value goods like phones, laptops ect. Gumtree cash on collection only.

That is the best way I nearly got sticthed up on Ebay recently. I got a sky box the other day the picture was of the new shape what looked like 2tb one so I asked a couple of times that it was all black and it was the exact same one in the picture and I got a definite yes. When I went to pick it up it was the standard 500gb one with the massive silver line on the front lol they say anything to get a sale oh and it had only been used a couple of times she said so why was the remote very worn and scratched loads joke.
tezray

That is the best way I nearly got sticthed up on Ebay recently. I got a … That is the best way I nearly got sticthed up on Ebay recently. I got a sky box the other day the picture was of the new shape what looked like 2tb one so I asked a couple of times that it was all black and it was the exact same one in the picture and I got a definite yes. When I went to pick it up it was the standard 500gb one with the massive silver line on the front lol they say anything to get a sale oh and it had only been used a couple of times she said so why was the remote very worn and scratched loads joke.

It's the bast way. I buy cheap stuff off ebay, i would never buy high value electrical stuff anymore, it's just not worth the hassle imo.

A bloke from work won a car last year on ebay, he lives in Stoke & the car was in Hull, the car was described as mint condition, when he got there the rear seats were missing "it was a 7 seater" & the car was a nail. He was not impressed X)
Edited by: "OldEnglish" 28th Feb 2014
DestinyCalls815

Indeed!
If you dont want scratches, try buying new (_;)
splatsplatsplat

If you dont want scratches, try buying new (_;)

Well that would be ideal yes but, sometimes there's over a hundred pound saving and some people do take care of their products, like myself. And there is the occasional person who's honest about scratches but, my issue is with the ones who say like new when it clearly isn't :(.
Have come to realise my as new/perfect is different to many others perception of this.
Although I do know others have the same problem, about 9 months ago I got a new laptop so sold my old one on. There was a similar specced laptop a few miles away but, after a day or two of having mine listed I was contacted by someone asking if mine was definitely in great condition, as they'd gone to Newcastle to get the other one listed which was listed as perfect condition except, that had a crack on the screen :S. And like I say, I've had this happen twice to me too, perfect devices with cracks on the screen (_;)
Bought some headphones listed as in perfect as new condition, also stated only used a couple of times. They are faulty but in a manner that the manufacturer cannot reconcile. Seller now announces that they are out of warranty despite the earranty being longer than the period they have been marketed. Now seller is alleging that I broke them!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants