Why aren't some people taking this virus seriously?

Posted 24th Mar
Just took the dog out for a quick walk (and some exercise) - and within a space of 10 minutes, I saw:

Two people get of a bus, give each other a hug, then go in different directions.

Two people walk past each other, realised they knew each other, then walked up to each other and started chatting - no more than 50cm apart.

2 Groups of kids - 4 in one group and 3 in the other - wandering around aimlessly with no parents in sight.

Also, newspaper has been put up in windows at a hotel/pub down the road, and you can clearly hear people inside.

I have no words to describe how stupid and selfish they are being. Do they not realise they are putting their own, and others lives at risk?
Community Updates
Misc
Top comments
Well, in the past I had asked if anyone was concerned about children sitting on the floor in school assembly and people ridiculed it. So a lot of people don’t care about hygiene I suppose. How can it be appropriate to let kids sit on the floor, little hands on the same floor that parents and teachers and other kids are walking on with shoes that have gone everywhere outside or even in toilets/bathrooms.Little kids may put their fingers in their mouth or nose. They could catch worms everything and now coronavirus which we hear can survive on shoes for hours etc. No surprise even the government has to ask the whole population to wash their hands, things parents should have taught kids themselves, or perhaps learn themselves, what a shame took coronavirus to teach
Edited by: "sydney2" 24th Mar
People are idiots....../end of discussion.
Because they think that it doesn’t affected them, presumably because nobody they know has been hospitalised or died of it yet. I think without a visible presence of police or other enforcement agency they still don’t think that Coronavirus is a real threat to their community. I wonder if there is some way to report pubs and other businesses that are still open when they should be shut?
This includes the mods of this website apparently. They removed all my factual and polite comments in booze threads about how alcohol makes you more susceptible to respiratory diseases (because apparently a lot of people have no idea). I guess the hotukdeals affiliate revenue is more important than people's lives.
65 Comments
I am absolutely outraged.
Because they think that it doesn’t affected them, presumably because nobody they know has been hospitalised or died of it yet. I think without a visible presence of police or other enforcement agency they still don’t think that Coronavirus is a real threat to their community. I wonder if there is some way to report pubs and other businesses that are still open when they should be shut?
Well, in the past I had asked if anyone was concerned about children sitting on the floor in school assembly and people ridiculed it. So a lot of people don’t care about hygiene I suppose. How can it be appropriate to let kids sit on the floor, little hands on the same floor that parents and teachers and other kids are walking on with shoes that have gone everywhere outside or even in toilets/bathrooms.Little kids may put their fingers in their mouth or nose. They could catch worms everything and now coronavirus which we hear can survive on shoes for hours etc. No surprise even the government has to ask the whole population to wash their hands, things parents should have taught kids themselves, or perhaps learn themselves, what a shame took coronavirus to teach
Edited by: "sydney2" 24th Mar
sydney224/03/2020 14:40

Well, in the past I had asked if anyone was concerned about children …Well, in the past I had asked if anyone was concerned about children sitting on the floor in school assembly and people ridiculed it. So a lot of people don’t care about hygiene I suppose. How can it be appropriate to let kids sit on the floor, little hands on the same floor that parents and teachers and other kids are walking on with shoes that have gone everywhere outside. Little kids may put their fingers in their mouth or nose. They could catch worms everything and now coronavirus which we hear can survive on for hours etc. No surprise even the government has to ask the whole population to wash their hands, things parents should have taught kids themselves, or perhaps learn themselves, what a shame took coronavirus to teach

This comment will never be rated enough.
Because some people are idiots.

Next question.
Westwoodo24/03/2020 14:43

Beat me to it by 30 seconds
Contenders for a Darwin award?
The problem is some dont care, some dont understand or even want to understand, some people think we h
ave been on lock down since last week, even if you give them the information they still say you are wrong and they are right!

Its madness, just been speaking to people on 4 different countries on a call at work and its the same everywhere, people simply cannot believe how stupid some people can be.
Fuming when I hear stories like this! I just wish we would be heavier handed, get the police and army on the streets I say. It's the only way some idiots will understand the seriousness of this life threatening situation!!

Makes you appreciate Chinese way of tackling things, as heavy handed as it may have seemed at the time.
Simple really, government slow to react, only just now soft forcing a lockdown, many people still out and about doing their normal work, or shopping for food pretty normally like always, because they can.

Its already been mentioned that when it doesn’t seem to have caused any harm to anyone you know, you won’t really understand the issue.

Oh and people are Daft (changed word for obscenity!)
Edited by: "darkovo" 24th Mar
Straycat196724/03/2020 15:16

Fuming when I hear stories like this! I just wish we would be heavier …Fuming when I hear stories like this! I just wish we would be heavier handed, get the police and army on the streets I say. It's the only way some idiots will understand the seriousness of this life threatening situation!!Makes you appreciate Chinese way of tackling things, as heavy handed as it may have seemed at the time.

Bring out the tanks?
This includes the mods of this website apparently. They removed all my factual and polite comments in booze threads about how alcohol makes you more susceptible to respiratory diseases (because apparently a lot of people have no idea). I guess the hotukdeals affiliate revenue is more important than people's lives.
Some people are idiots and won't care until it affects them or their family personally.
Gav5724/03/2020 15:33

Some people are idiots and won't care until it affects them or their …Some people are idiots and won't care until it affects them or their family personally.

Which it will and we will.all have to pay for it.
Stupid people who think it wont effect them, or will just be a mild cold if it does, and don't give a stuff about anybody else.

There were a couple of them in the supermarket last week wandering around shouting out "I've got corona" and pretend coughing.

And there are reports of people coughing over other people as a joke and one even spitting on the checkout staff of a supermarket when they refused to allow them to buy in bulk.
Edited by: "melted" 24th Mar
From what i've seen it's old people who aren't taking it seriously here, the very ones most likely to die.

Had to go to the post office and the supermarket earlier. I took one look in the PO and walked back out, the queue was all old people standing chatting in clusters. Supermarket was relatively quiet (shelves still empty though) but again it was the older folks queued up like normal at the tills while younger ones used the practically empty self service checkouts, no social distancing in sight.

Other than that it is quiet out there. I live on a main road and it has almost no traffic today and people i passed were taking wide berths with some even going out onto the road to avoid coming close.

Police car was parked down where the teenagers usually gather so i'm guessing they are taking as much heed as the old folk.
What about half wits spitting on police.?
I have a few theories - because people are smoldered by some of the following:
1) they think it is some glorified flu
2) they think the death rate for them is really low, so selfishly think it doesnt matter for them
3) they don't know anyone they know who got it yet, so its very far away from them
4) they saw how China did it with the lockdown and want to set an example that they will not be locked in
5) they watch too much sensationalised stuff and now they think this is all sensational as well.
6) don't believe in experts and whatnot because american tv and our own Boris said so
7) even the government didn't really take it seriously until recently

A flu is quite uncomfortable in itself and this COVID actually destoys lung cells. There is not a vaccine yet as of now. I am not taking any chances - I need my lungs!
Edited by: "Artonox" 24th Mar
It's not always stupidity.

A lot of the media gives the impression that it's near exclusive to those over 70 and those with underlying medical issues.
A lot of people, especially younger ones, don't feel that they fit that criteria and therefore it won't have any effect on them. Even if they do catch it, it will be no worse than a cold or a hangover after a weekend sesh.

I've said I'm in two minds about this.
No idea if I've got it, had a mild case or what.
Haven't had a fever, but one potential sign, but that could just be a cold. Immediate family in the same house are fine and have been since I joined them over a week ago.
A girl I used to work with apparently caught it from somewhere, and my cousin living down South got it from being in France. Both around early twenties, and neither seem too affected.

I would rather take my chances with it, although would rather not give anything to my parents.
I know people will die regardless of what method is used for isolation, but there's no guarantee 3 weeks down the line that the 391 people who didn't catch it (from the 15 if self-isolating against 406 from initial contact in Government pictures) now have little or no immunity and then catch it anyway once things seems to be getting better.
Hopefully death related figures are the lower estimate, but at the end of the day, it's a guess using limited and assumed data. There's a lot of banking on the virus naturally dying out, or becoming controllable rather than it reappearing or mutating.

The info out there is being sugar coated for the most part.
Edited by: "xenole" 24th Mar
Nana1424/03/2020 15:48

People behaving like that should be put on a list and be the first to be refused treatment if or when the NHS can no longer treat everyone.
melted24/03/2020 15:52

People behaving like that should be put on a list and be the first to be …People behaving like that should be put on a list and be the first to be refused treatment if or when the NHS can no longer treat everyone.

Seconded.
MadeDixonsCry24/03/2020 14:36

I am absolutely outraged.

I'm even more outraged than you.
So there
Some builders huddled around drain works - hardly distancing.

Morrison’s let so many in. Circles to separate queue and tills have Perspex screens.

Iceland / Superdrug in passing have queues outside.

Some winos in park lol

One play area cable ties on gate
takeing dog out and going on exercises. just lock it down no excuse and no terms
I think it's the "I'm alright, Jack" attitude mostly.
Nana1424/03/2020 15:48

wait, what?
You are asking a nation who like to be included and connected to everything to isolate themselves, not going to happen.
I think in 2 to 3 weeks time people will sit up and take notice unfortunately..
Edited by: "the.porter" 24th Mar
the.porter24/03/2020 18:27

I think in 2 to 3 weeks time people will sit up and take notice …I think in 2 to 3 weeks time people will sit up and take notice unfortunately..

Or lay down
` 2 to 3 weeks time people will sit up`..... those people will be fine. Others will suffer!! Name and shame! Anyone caught not following should get criminal record.
Edited by: "gunner007_uk" 24th Mar
the.porter24/03/2020 18:27

I think in 2 to 3 weeks time people will sit up and take notice …I think in 2 to 3 weeks time people will sit up and take notice unfortunately..

Or in 2-3 weeks tempers will start fraying with being cooped up together, kids will be turfed out as the weather heats up etc.
gunner007_uk24/03/2020 18:36

` 2 to 3 weeks time people will sit up`..... those people will be fine. …` 2 to 3 weeks time people will sit up`..... those people will be fine. Others will suffer!! Name and shame! Anyone caught not following should get criminal record.

you'd fit in just fine in communist china
Zooicidal24/03/2020 18:39

Or in 2-3 weeks tempers will start fraying with being cooped up together, …Or in 2-3 weeks tempers will start fraying with being cooped up together, kids will be turfed out as the weather heats up etc.

2-3 weeks if everyone folows the advise we could be over this. Take a look at the scientific papers. Anyone ignoring advice is just making the situation worse. `short term pain, long term gain`
Edited by: "gunner007_uk" 24th Mar
One question. Where is this pub?
If your worried about `being cooped up together` register for the `volunteer army`. That will keep you busy!
england.nhs.uk/202…my/
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Discussions

Top Merchants