Groups

Why aren't we allowed Chandeliers in bathrooms? they are allowed in USA

anyone out there know the answer to this? I would love one in the bathroom and don't understand why this is so here. My friend works in a lighting store in states and sells loads for the bathroom.

19 Comments

Really don't understand this one. Who won't let you??? The chandelier police???

Original Poster

jah128;4173827

Exposed eletrical fittings + steam = a no no... Bathroom lights have to … Exposed eletrical fittings + steam = a no no... Bathroom lights have to be fully enclosed FWIGhttp://www.homesandgardens.com/advice/expert/Does_anyone_make_a_chandelier_suitable_for_a_bathroom_article_94274.htmlhttp://www.livingetc.com/forums/showthreaded.php/Cat/0/Number/26425/page/0

Thanks for your help and I do understand what you are saying but cannot understand why they are allowed in the states and not here. Thanks for your help I really appreciate it.

In the USA, their electrical circuits are double earthed as well - AFAIK.

It might have something to do with theirs being 110v as they have switches instead of string pulls in bathrooms and they have plug sockets there too. Or maybe it's just their way of keeping the population down!

viper;4173882

Thanks for your help and I do understand what you are saying but cannot … Thanks for your help and I do understand what you are saying but cannot understand why they are allowed in the states and not here. Thanks for your help I really appreciate it.

They probably just have fewer building regulations - the UK (EU) have had loads of new ones recently, some sensible, some are a bit overkill... Also I guess they have 110V mains so its sort of a little bit safer. Of course you could get a chandelier and fit it yourself, its just you wont be able to get an electrician to do so (although it probably isn't that wise, there must be some reasoning behind the regulation!)

Bathrooms are split into zones when it comes to choosing which fittings are most appropriate for which area. Explanation here

allupandon.co.uk/lig…nes

You need an IP rated light fitting where there is a possibility of the light fitting coming into contact with water/steam.

I dont know much about lighting but, what you are after seems to be something that is already fitted to 'designer' houses and therefore could be expensive.

This company features IP rated chandeliers in its new 2009 catalogue so it might be worthwhile requesting a copy

franklite.ltd.uk/

You could have a chandellier in the bathroom, you need an electrician who would install a protective 6amp MCBO to protect your lighting circuit, that should comply with regulations.
    Goodluck with it.
    I have an electrision in the pub who I asked this question to and this was his answer

lower voltage - theirs wont kill - ours will

octobergirl;4174043

Stick your fingers in a US plug socket then say that!

At 110V its a bit safer but I certainly wouldn't go as far as to say it won't kill (particularly when theres lots of steam about to lower resistance...)

Original Poster

you have all been fantastic at least I understand better and thanks martin17 and to your man in the pub. At least we can get a quick answer here !!

octobergirl;4174043

:lol:

octobergirl;4174043

You do know it's not the voltage that kills, yes?

Banned

Xb0xGuru;4174409

You do know it's not the voltage that kills, yes?

You're going to say amps aren't you!

Let the Yanks have them in the bathroom I say!

guv;4174444

You're going to say amps aren't you! :pLet the Yanks have them in the … You're going to say amps aren't you! :pLet the Yanks have them in the bathroom I say!

Of course :-)

I've got to ask why you would want a chandelier in the bathroom in the first place, but coming from a country where you can get a 'quadruple bypass' burger of 8000 calories and whose idea of a breakfast is sausages, pancakes and syrup this really shouldn't surprise me.

Moob: In the USA, their electrical circuits are double earthed as well - AFAIK.

This is the actual reason. On the continent they are allowed switches and normal electrical sockets in their bathrooms as everything is double earthed. Better and safer electrical systems with loads more regulation.

pegsw;4175277

Moob: In the USA, their electrical circuits are double earthed as well - … Moob: In the USA, their electrical circuits are double earthed as well - AFAIK.This is the actual reason. On the continent they are allowed switches and normal electrical sockets in their bathrooms as everything is double earthed. Better and safer electrical systems with loads more regulation.

Yeah dude, that's what I said - look :lol:

moob;4173890

In the USA, their electrical circuits are double earthed as well - AFAIK.

Banned

The important question here should be "Who on Earth would want a chandelier in their bathroom?"

moob;4175465

Yeah dude, that's what I said - look :lol:

Moob, I was agreeing with you, that is why I copied your reply in. Sorry, did not use the quote system but thought it must have been clear what I meant!

As for the Chandelier question, I have no idea but I am sure there is a very good reason!
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Jaffa quake as McVitie's cuts pack sizes - BBC News11
      2. What a bunch of brassed necked barstewards914
      3. Feels weird!922
      4. miikeyblue and shabbird's (but mostly shabbird's) Tuesday night pub quiz!563821

See more discussions