Why buy used car if can buy new for the same price?

Posted 6th Nov
Hello, interested in buying a Seat Leon FR Black Edition car and can buy one from drive the deal for £20,421 but Seat themselves are selling used ones (~100 miles, Oct 2019 registered) for more than this at £21,490.

What, if any, would be the benefits of buying the used one if its more expensive than new? Thanks!
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

Top comments
Just a guess but I'm assuming the used one might have more added extras than the new one you've priced. Stuff like sat nav, alloy wheels, heated leather seats, heated windscreen, etc.
?
17 Comments
Just a guess but I'm assuming the used one might have more added extras than the new one you've priced. Stuff like sat nav, alloy wheels, heated leather seats, heated windscreen, etc.
?
If it is truly identical car there is none (.i.e same extras).
Edited by: "cmdr_elito" 6th Nov
The advertised price on the used car is likely to be much more flexible. I'd point out the laughable price of the used one and offer no more than 18K if you haven't lost too much warranty.
If you're a good negotiator you could probably get a new one for that though. I bought a 6month 6000mile for half RRP.
Maggy123406/11/2019 06:57

The advertised price on the used car is likely to be much more flexible. …The advertised price on the used car is likely to be much more flexible. I'd point out the laughable price of the used one and offer no more than 18K if you haven't lost too much warranty.If you're a good negotiator you could probably get a new one for that though. I bought a 6month 6000mile for half RRP.

Completely depends on make and model though. Astra with £26 rrp for £13k yes, Range Rover £60k for £30k no.

The drivethedeal price is such a good price that they are pricing a pre reg car/delivery mileage car at more money.
It could takes 22 weeks for new car to be delivered. That is Seat told me earlier in the year.
I need a car in 4 weeks.
I got over 45% off my 5008, as was first registered to Peugeot with 5 miles on the clock.
Ring around all the dealers have your new car quote in hand. Also find all the dealers with the pre reg vehicles and call and say what’s your best price if I travel to you and make a deal today.
When you get a better price tell the next dealer you’ve been offered it at even less.
It took me 3 hours to get a better deal. Lots of walking out to call the wife I would say.
Instead I was calling 5 other dealer to haggle.
Is your purchase cash or credit.
The dealers will give more money off if you take out financing.
So if your paying cash take out say £5000 in finance and pay it off on the day you take delivery.
No fees under the 14 cooling off period.
Might pay £5 for interest.
If you take out finance here is a new one for £19585.

agnewcars.com/sea…spx
69 plate with 5 miles £17470. Or £17770 cash before haggling.

buyacar.co.uk/sea…165
Edited by: "bigwheels" 6th Nov
Cloeeez06/11/2019 06:29

Just a guess but I'm assuming the used one might have more added extras …Just a guess but I'm assuming the used one might have more added extras than the new one you've priced. Stuff like sat nav, alloy wheels, heated leather seats, heated windscreen, etc.?

What he said.

The downside of buying a new car is the depreciation in value the minute you drive it off the forecourt.
Carefully check both warranties, and that the used car warranty can be transferred without penalty.
Cloeeez06/11/2019 06:29

Just a guess but I'm assuming the used one might have more added extras …Just a guess but I'm assuming the used one might have more added extras than the new one you've priced. Stuff like sat nav, alloy wheels, heated leather seats, heated windscreen, etc.?

Or, in the case of many BMWs, the optional indicator pack
4Real201606/11/2019 09:18

What he said.The downside of buying a new car is the depreciation in value …What he said.The downside of buying a new car is the depreciation in value the minute you drive it off the forecourt.

Thanks. But if the new car costs less than used, does it still depreciate at the same rate? Does the price you actually pay for new influence the depreciation?
paza12306/11/2019 12:39

Thanks. But if the new car costs less than used, does it still depreciate …Thanks. But if the new car costs less than used, does it still depreciate at the same rate? Does the price you actually pay for new influence the depreciation?

You missed what I quoted, the used one probably isn't the same spec, do you really think they are going to sell a new car cheaper than the book price of an old car?

You also have to pay VAT on the full price of a new car, second hand cars from a dealer you only have to pay VAT on the dealers profit, as long as they are using the Margin Scheme.

gov.uk/gui…181

In any case they still lose money as soon as you drive off the forcourt, some manufacturers are worse than others
Edited by: "4Real2016" 6th Nov
4Real201606/11/2019 09:18

What he said.The downside of buying a new car is the depreciation in value …What he said.The downside of buying a new car is the depreciation in value the minute you drive it off the forecourt.

She *
I don't think OP understands it though haha.
38920451-WjwX1.jpg
For example OP. The key is 'from' which means the most basic model of the car starts at that price.
The older one you are looking at maybe came out the factory with 10k worth of added extras which means that the value of that car (even though it is older and has depreciated with age) is still worth more than the new basic model because of the extras.
I hope this is the case and someone isn't trying to con you :).
And to answer your question above, depreciation will also depend on what people want in a car. Some people would rather an older model but it has more gizmos (because to buy the gizmos separately/at a later date it could cost hundreds/thousands) so they will pay the extra for an older model rather than the basic new one. Cause they can't afford a brand new gizmo filled version but don't want the basic new version.
Edited by: "Cloeeez" 6th Nov
Cloeeez06/11/2019 20:29

She * ;)I don't think OP understands it though haha.

lol, normally I write he/she, typical
It's not uncommon for Drive The Deal to be selling brand new cars for less than your local dealer is offering used / nearly new.

Benefits of buying new via Drive The Deal
• Huge discount off list price
• Access to manufacturers finance offers, which may offer lower APR % than the 'nearly new' car.
• You will be the first registered keeper, whereas a car pre-registered in October will already have been registered to somebody else before you.
• You will be able to choose colour / options to suit you, the nearly new car will be 'as it comes.'

Benefits of buying the nearly new at your local dealer
• The car will probably be available immediately, whereas ordering new could mean a lead time of several weeks / months.
• They are more likely to take your current car in part exchange if you have one.
• Drive The Deal dealer may not be local, sometimes they are at the other end of the country. In this scenario take the DtD quote to your local dealer and ask if they'll match it.
Edited by: "Guzzle" 6th Nov
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants