Why can i see my freeview behind the Sky channels i'm watching?

14 replies
Found 21st Feb 2008
I'm wondering if anyone has any clues to stop the freeview that is built into my TV floating behind the Sky when i'm trying to watch it.

I've changed the scarts around but it's still doing it.

The freeview cannot be turned off either so i'm stuck with a ghostly image behind my Sky TV all the time.

Any ideas?

14 Comments

Is the freeview in via a normal arial as well as a scart?

What kind of TV is it?

Original Poster

kobirulali;1614571

Is the freeview in via a normal arial as well as a scart?What kind of TV … Is the freeview in via a normal arial as well as a scart?What kind of TV is it?

It's Sony Bravia, the freeview is through just the arial (according to the hubby!) I assume he tried a new scart lead for the Sky but nothing changed.

Thanks for your help! :thumbsup:

Can you not just unplug the aerial? You don't need the aerial with Sky anyway.

Original Poster

kidcat;1614609

Can you not just unplug the aerial? You don't need the aerial with Sky … Can you not just unplug the aerial? You don't need the aerial with Sky anyway.

Seems like that's a good option, although I'd rather not if i can get away with it as we've got the PC going through the TV as well and my little boy likes to watch Cbeebies while i'm on t'internet (PIP)!

Banned

Don't know whether freeview is built into your Bravia I assume it is, but if it isn't just turn the external box off.

Original Poster

lumoruk;1614679

Don't know whether freeview is built into your Bravia I assume it is, but … Don't know whether freeview is built into your Bravia I assume it is, but if it isn't just turn the external box off.

Yeah, it's built in. You'd think a Sony wouldn't have this sort of issue! :x

select an analogue channel that isn't tuned in (channel 0) before selecting Sky via scart - the ghosting will disappear

i had the same problem with my old dvd player which had built in freeview in and when i was watching freeview i got normal tv image behind, think i was sorted with a better quality scart lead (one of the gold plated ones)

wether that will work for you im not sure but worth a go

I've always found taking everything out and re plugging everything works, absolutely no explanation for it, but my old crt Panasonic did that ages ago.

You defo don't need a freeview box and in built freeview, just use one, and don't have anything plugged in thriugh aerial, use scart and hdmi's

Turning off the freeview box while you watch sky should help.

Come on people, the Op stated in their first post that the issue is around built in freeview on their TV - they do not have an external freeview box!
I realise you are trying to help, but read the previous posts - there's less than a dozen of them!

Changing scart leads will not help with this issue - the TV is displaying a residual picture that originates from the onboard freeview when viewing an external source via scart. This is most likely down to poor programming on behalf of Sony. I have experienced this on a set before, as already stated, the solution is to choose an onboard analogue tv channel that is not tunes in - you will see either 'sparklies' or a blank screen - sometimes this is blue. If you then select the external source there will be no ghosting from the onboard freeview.

Is your sky box set to rgb and connected to rgb scart input on your tv, if not try this.

Banned

jayhab;1614895

Come on people, the Op stated in their first post that the issue is … Come on people, the Op stated in their first post that the issue is around built in freeview on their TV - they do not have an external freeview box!I realise you are trying to help, but read the previous posts - there's less than a dozen of them!

Sorry was speed reading was late for my footie game :oops:

lumoruk;1615401

Sorry was speed reading was late for my footie game :oops:

Sorry same here.....
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Building a PC Need Help!611
    2. School shoes - with lights11
    3. Driving anxiety.1518
    4. Marks & Spencer Credit Receipt?65