Why can't people tell the difference between "none" and "non" ?

Found 19th Sep 2012
Guys, how hard is it?

Sick of seeing "blah blah blah it's a none deal". Jeez-wah!
Community Updates
83 Comments
See also:

bought/brought
there/their/they're
to/too/two
your/you're

A lot of people don't know how to differentiate between similar sounding words either due to dyslexia, a bad education or laziness. Get over it. And don't be sexist, there are girls on these forums too.
marvinfrew

See also:bought/broughtthere/their/they'reto/too/twoyour/you're

ok i'm totally fine with the difference between these, but im genuinely struggling with none and non... not sure when i would ever use non in a sentence?

am a big fan of using till instead of until thouhgh
I used to care about things like this but then realised that its a pointless crusade. If people haven't figured it out by the time they've reached adulthood they're too thick to ever figure it out. Don't worry about it.
Legendaryjordan

A lot of people don't know how to differentiate between similar sounding … A lot of people don't know how to differentiate between similar sounding words either due to dyslexia, a bad education or laziness. Get over it. And don't be sexist, there are girls on these forums too.

I see no sexism here.
If you mean "Guys" I think it was meant to address everyone, not just male members.
wonder/wander

annoys me more when people get tenses mixed up, both reading and writing
Edited by: "N1K0LAI_DAN7E" 19th Sep 2012
N1K0LAI_DAN7E

ok i'm totally fine with the difference between these, but im genuinely … ok i'm totally fine with the difference between these, but im genuinely struggling with none and non... not sure when i would ever use non in a sentence?am a big fan of using till instead of until thouhgh

I see where you're coming from with until/till and I'd still feel a bit weird writing "non" before something. As the great Karl Pilkington said, "too many words!"
I can ignore nearly all of them, but there is one that irritates me beyond belief, one I cringe at everytime I see it and it takes all my strength not to correct the idiot that posted it.
And that is Lose and Loose
Why try and correct everyone? If they all started spelling correctly then you wouldn't be so special would you...
Legendaryjordan

A lot of people don't know how to differentiate between similar sounding … A lot of people don't know how to differentiate between similar sounding words either due to dyslexia, a bad education or laziness. Get over it. And don't be sexist, there are girls on these forums too.

Guys isn't gender specific.
I can see why you would be bothered about these kind of things personally, but who cares how well random people spell?
If you understand what someone is trying to say then get over it, life is short, people on the internet come from all different backgrounds upbringing and schooling, I imaging you lead a very lonely life if people grammar frustrates you that much.
Legendaryjordan

Just "Deal" with it is the site's new tagline.
caz1cool

I can see why you would be bothered about these kind of things … I can see why you would be bothered about these kind of things personally, but who cares how well random people spell?

Well random innit.
master_chief

Why try and correct everyone? If they all started spelling correctly then … Why try and correct everyone? If they all started spelling correctly then you wouldn't be so special would you...

You know I'd still be special

Guys, how hard is it?

Pics of your mum/mom and i'll tell you
What's non?
fanpages

Well random innit.

haha, yes it does read like that
Shengis

Pics of your mum/mom and i'll tell you

...Mam.
master_chief

Why try and correct everyone? If they all started spelling correctly then … Why try and correct everyone? If they all started spelling correctly then you wouldn't be so special would you...

It's not that I want everyone to spell correctly, just to use the correct words.

I brought an iPhone today, their were alot too choose from, I wander if I made the right choice. Just hope I dont loose it.
iAmLegendFam

What's non?

no in french

http://www.pearsonified.com/images/entries/dond.gif
Edited by: "casparwhite" 19th Sep 2012
LDHughes

It's not that I want everyone to spell correctly, just to use the correct … It's not that I want everyone to spell correctly, just to use the correct words.I brought an iPhone today, their were alot too choose from, I wander if I made the right choice. Just hope I dont loose it.

Fanboi
Spelling mistakes and flatout using words with an entirely different meaning are two different things.
as long as you are using correct wording, and you can understand the plebs that aren't, what's the problem?
LDHughes

It's not that I want everyone to spell correctly, just to use the correct … It's not that I want everyone to spell correctly, just to use the correct words.

X)
Toasthduk

Fanboi

NOOOO, don't turn this thread into another apple thread!
LDHughes

I never mentioned apple
fanpages

You know I'd still be special

Always
LDHughes

To be fair it is on-topic. iPhone has the best auto-correct on the planet!
LDHughes

I brought an iPhone today, their were alot too choose from, I wander if I … I brought an iPhone today, their were alot too choose from, I wander if I made the right choice. Just hope I dont loose it.

"write"
teambintip

X)

Misspelling something like say correctly e.g. corectly, does not bother me.
**** I've loost my phone.
Edited by moderator: "Sep 19, 2012 15:35" 19th Sep 2012
fanpages

"write"

I was going to do that but thought it'd be a bit far fetched
Homonyms... Good for confusing the **** out of foreigners
Toasthduk

I never mentioned apple

Touche
Legendaryjordan

To be fair it is on-topic. iPhone has the best auto-correct on the planet!

Must agree, androids is awful
marvinfrew

See also:bought/broughtthere/their/they'reto/too/twoyour/you're

advice versus advise
The European Commission has just announced an agreement whereby English will be the official language of the European Union rather than German, which was the other possibility.

As part of the negotiations, the British Government conceded that English spelling had some room for improvement and has accepted a 5- year phase-in plan that would become known as "Euro-English".

In the first year, "s" will replace the soft "c". Sertainly, this will make the sivil servants jump with joy. The hard "c" will be dropped in favour of "k". This should klear up konfusion, and keyboards kan have one less letter. There will be growing publik enthusiasm in the sekond year when the troublesome "ph" will be replaced with "f". This will make words like fotograf 20% shorter.

In the 3rd year, publik akseptanse of the new spelling kan be expekted to reach the stage where more komplikated changes are possible. Governments will enkourage the removal of double letters which have always ben a deterent to akurate speling. Also, al wil agre that the horibl mes of the silent "e" in the languag is disgrasful and it should go away.

By the 4th yer people wil be reseptiv to steps such as replasing "th" with "z" and "w" with "v".

During ze fifz yer, ze unesesary "o" kan be dropd from vords kontaining "ou" and after ziz fifz yer, ve vil hav a reil sensibl riten styl. Zer vil be no mor trubl or difikultis and evrivun vil find it ezi tu understand ech oza. Ze drem of a united urop vil finali kum tru.

Und efter ze fifz yer, ve vil al be speking German like zey vunted in ze forst plas
fanpages

advice versus advise

on the subject of advise when should i use "non" in a sentence?
N1K0LAI_DAN7E

on the subject of advise when should i use "non" in a sentence?

Is this a serious question, or a non sequitur?
Our Strange Lingo

When the English tongue we speak.
Why is break not rhymed with freak?
Will you tell me why it's true
We say sew but likewise few?
And the maker of the verse,
Cannot rhyme his horse with worse?
Beard is not the same as heard
Cord is different from word.
Cow is cow but low is low
Shoe is never rhymed with foe.
Think of hose, dose,and lose