Why cant these american websites cast videos to my tv

Posted 12th Dec 2019
Theres a load of stuff from CTV ctv.ca/ful…des that i want to cast to my TV however the chromecast does not receive it. I use a VPN so that should be no problem either. I also have the CTV app on my firestick which opens but it doesnt allow me to scroll down and select a video.. Can anyone try this for me...Anyone know.. Have they blocked casting facilities for anyone outside canada??
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

17 Comments
Probably blacklisted the vpn's IP, I can't look at the BBC website when connected to London now either
It won't cast with VPN in my case with us netflix, the app on the TV detected it , try from a laptop to TV via HDMI. That's what I did.
You need to be on the same network for both devicesnormally to cast, option would be to get a vpn on your router or think Windscribe works on the firestick, if that allows it don’t know of one that works with chromecast
Edited by: "eslick" 12th Dec 2019
I heard Netflix are clamping down on using their service outside of the country of origin so I bet this may have something to do with it.
eslick12/12/2019 12:00

You need to be on the same network for both devicesnormally to cast, …You need to be on the same network for both devicesnormally to cast, option would be to get a vpn on your router or think Windscribe works on the firestick, if that allows it don’t know of one that works with chromecast

This.

When casting, your phone etc tells the Chromecast to fetch whatever you've told it to display. So the Chromecast will still be using your normal network which isn't routed through the VPN.
VPN is exactly the problem as casting must be done on same network for security reasons. Try and cast from any UK app and it won't work either. Perhaps configuring VPN at router level may solve this.
Might help if first you realise that CTV. CA = CANADA.
Canada is not america, the canadians burnt down the whitehouse (based in the other country, America).
Does that affect your settings or is it just under North America?
furbars12/12/2019 12:11

I heard Netflix are clamping down on using their service outside of the …I heard Netflix are clamping down on using their service outside of the country of origin so I bet this may have something to do with it.

really? My US netflix app works fine on my firestick!
sammy12512/12/2019 12:12

This.When casting, your phone etc tells the Chromecast to fetch whatever …This.When casting, your phone etc tells the Chromecast to fetch whatever you've told it to display. So the Chromecast will still be using your normal network which isn't routed through the VPN.

but shouldnt it work even with the samsung smart view..where whatever displayed on the mobile shows up on the tv??
Edited by: "sleepingwonder" 12th Dec 2019
sleepingwonder12/12/2019 14:21

but shouldnt it work even with the samsung smart view..where whatever …but shouldnt it work even with the samsung smart view..where whatever displayed on the mobile shows up on the tv??

Probably built into the app that you can't mirror the screen, just cast it, presumably to stop people doing what you are trying.

That's what other apps like BeIN sports do for me - cant cast, cant duplicate the phone screen.

Other option would be laptop + HDMI cable and mirror screens, always works for me.
What VPN are you using? If you are using one which offers .ovpn files then you can use OpenVPN, which allows you to bypass local traffic so you'll be able to cast to your devices on your network. This is for Android but I assume it's the same on iOS. Also worth checking if your VPN app has this feature, some do.

39336348-XYNgj.jpg
McShane112/12/2019 14:56

What VPN are you using? If you are using one which offers .ovpn files then …What VPN are you using? If you are using one which offers .ovpn files then you can use OpenVPN, which allows you to bypass local traffic so you'll be able to cast to your devices on your network. This is for Android but I assume it's the same on iOS. Also worth checking if your VPN app has this feature, some do. [Image]

im using ivacy
sleepingwonder12/12/2019 14:19

really? My US netflix app works fine on my firestick!

Probably not got around to that yet !
eslick12/12/2019 12:00

You need to be on the same network for both devicesnormally to cast, …You need to be on the same network for both devicesnormally to cast, option would be to get a vpn on your router or think Windscribe works on the firestick, if that allows it don’t know of one that works with chromecast

This is correct.

OP what you are looking for is a DNS service. Once you have set this on your router all devices will pick this up and then you can cast.

I have this setup and can cast and watch Disney +, NBC sports etc on any device in the house no VPN required.
Personator123412/12/2019 18:54

This is correct.OP what you are looking for is a DNS service. Once you …This is correct.OP what you are looking for is a DNS service. Once you have set this on your router all devices will pick this up and then you can cast.I have this setup and can cast and watch Disney +, NBC sports etc on any device in the house no VPN required.

OK thanks how do I do this
Mr_Gus12/12/2019 13:38

Might help if first you realise that CTV. CA = CANADA.Canada is not …Might help if first you realise that CTV. CA = CANADA.Canada is not america, the canadians burnt down the whitehouse (based in the other country, America).Does that affect your settings or is it just under North America?

Canada didn’t even exist at the time the British burned down the White House.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions