Groups

why can't you buy precooked bacon?

why can you not buy precooked bacon like you can do with ham? everyone would buy it. sat here eating a crappy ham sandwich

28 Comments

You can, we have some in our fridge

How difficult is it to stick it in a pan for a couple of minutes?

"everyone would buy it" - Erm, no.

Original Poster

liamf12

You can, we have some in our fridge

​where did you buy it?

you can stick it in the oven for 15 minutes. job done.

You could always cook a load, and put it in the fridge, you then have pre cooked bacon for 2-3 days. Then repeat.

chuckiedoll

TescoMorrisonsSainsburysEtc....

Extortionate pricing, which is the reason why no-one but lazy people buy it.

m5rcc

Extortionate pricing, which is the reason why no-one but lazy people buy … Extortionate pricing, which is the reason why no-one but lazy people buy it.

Agree entirely, but op asked the question

chuckiedoll

Agree entirely, but op asked the question

OP needs to get out more...

chuckiedoll

Or if posh...Waitrose

2 for £4 - bargain oO

Costco do.

my friend cooks it in the microwave!

You could cook it & freeze it. It only take's a couple of minutes in the pan or on a health grill though.
    Aldi, Lidl, iceland etc... also sell the pre-cooked version, might be cheaper there.
    Bit off topic but i think quite a lot of bacon is cured and therefore edible without cooking. (check if it's cured before you eat it though or you might end up with a dodgy tummy). I'm not so sure that it would rival a cooked bacon buttie though.
    Then there is Pancetta, which is sort of Italy's version of bacon. It's cured & can be eaten straight fron pack or lightly pan fried. It's so amazingly yum, usually not the cheapest but totally worth it every now and then (again Aldi is likely cheaper).

4 minutes in microwave for about 4 slices.. simple..

I cook it at work.
    Edited by: "Dawsy" 19th Jun

Derby_Lad

Costco do.

Is it any good , dear ?

Original Poster

Dawsy

4 minutes in microwave for about 4 slices.. simple..I cook it at work.

​never heard of anyone cooking it in the microwave. does it turn crispy?

I get it from Costco aswell, its superb.

One of my fussy friends use to buy it as he hated cooking smells in his house.

marks and spencers sell it next to cooked chicken etc

snoopy18

Is it any good , dear ?

​It is like the bacon you would get in the supermarket sandwiches.

for real? it's the easiest thing in the world to cook. we cook ours in the air fryer

brendanhickey

​never heard of anyone cooking it in the microwave. does it turn crispy?

​its better in a pan

snoopy18

Is it any good , dear ?

Price wise it wasn't daft although I can't remember it exactly. But it's small strips of streaky. Like at Subway.

Comes in like a bucket type tub,

I've bought it from Costco before, think it was between £5.50 to £6 not sure on the weight of the pack

Can't think of anywhere you can't buy it - all big Supermarkets incl Lidl and Aldi.

brendanhickey

never heard of anyone cooking it in the microwave. does it turn crispy?

Its is better fried or grilled but......
    you can cook in a microwave quite well if you use thin bacon which has a low water content (dry cure or the like). Flabby cheap bacon is the pits. Cut most of the fat off and clip the sides with scissors in a couple of places to stop it curling up. I cook it between 2 sheets of kitchen towel to sop up the fat and any water.
    It is a bit of trial end error for timings, but about 90 sec per rasher should give you slightly browned bacon. You can't get the crispy fried effect. There are products which allege that they will produce crispy micro bacon.

ps I have tried pre-cooked supermarket bacon and didn't rate it.
    Edited by: "airbus330" 19th Jun

on the deli counter morrisons do roast back bacon slices alongside ham etc , it is very tasty and not dried up like pre pack crispy bacon.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Win a Davosa Ternos Submariner Wristwatch worth £64578
      2. Win 1 of 3 x £1000 Selfridges vouchers with Virgin Trains1211
      3. Win a luxury eight-night break for two in Malaysia with Ushvani Spa and Tra…55
      4. Win a safari adventure & claim a free Chicago Town pizza coupon44

See more discussions