Why create a fake HUKD account just to request a freebie? Please stop. It's pointless

26 replies
Found 27th Jan
I'd like to think I'm a patient person but I've come to the end of my tether with regard to people creating fake HUKD accounts just for the purpose of trolling for freebies

I've had countless examples of where I've offered free codes (namely Meerkat Movie code and free gaming download codes) via the HUKD threads, only to be bombarded with comments from users who very conveniently happened to join today and the first comment they've mustered is to request this freebie

In the past, on many occasion, I have, naively, given my giveaways to the new account as I believed they were genuinely new, only for the "New" HUKD member never to respond or even use the given code as they don't bother checking the messages on the fake account

Just a quick FYI to those doing this, most HUKD members have clocked on and simply refuse to entertain requests from users with brand spanking new accounts

It has ruined it for the odd genuine new member who may join and be in need

This stupid, annoying practice of creating fake accounts is completely not in the spirit of the HUKD community

I urge members to be wary when dealing with brand new accounts created within 48 hours with no other activity

26 Comments

Original Poster

Rant over. Sorry guys had to vent. Just got annoyed as I'd given away free gaming codes yesterday to fake accounts that could have gone to genuine people who would have used it

This rant would've fitted in nicely with my mini rants on the 2-1 cinema ticket thread!

Original Poster

Gollywood

This rant would've fitted in nicely with my mini rants on the 2-1 cinema … This rant would've fitted in nicely with my mini rants on the 2-1 cinema ticket thread!

Oh I've seen them
I know you know how I feel as you also contribute weekly to the Meerkat cinema thread and have to deal with these fake accounts.

Like you, I've also decided to take the step to no longer entertain new accounts

I agree. That's why codes should never just be put in the thread either for anyone to take

Editor

Gollywood

2-1 cinema ticket

I'll take it, please.

Original Poster

BuzzDuraband

I'll take it, please.

This guy is a prime example. Doesn't post a thing and is always trolling for freebies

BuzzDuraband

I'll take it, please.

I'd sooner give one to a new account. Between you & Turkey, you cost me a fortune in 2016. X)

Most members who give away a freebie always state something like:
To receive the freebie, you must have been a member of HUKD's for a minimum of XYZ and you must have posted a minimum of XYZ deals to enter!

WheresMeNuts

Most members who give away a freebie always state something like:To … Most members who give away a freebie always state something like:To receive the freebie, you must have been a member of HUKD's for a minimum of XYZ and you must have posted a minimum of XYZ deals to enter!

they do on certain things but not student codes, meerkat ones you see so many new users but the site allows these requests and any user who jokes about them being a new user and never to be seen again gets reminded of the sites code of conduct. As longer serving users many get sick of seeing these sorts of posts but just have to live with it as the site believes that they will be back and join in with the community, however there are plenty of these users that simply request codes again and use the site for that. Probably needs a separate tab just for codes to keep them away from the rest of the site.

1st world problem right here. Although I'm sure it is frustrating.

I wasn't aware of this, I give my code nearly every week. I only use them in the school holidays. In most cases I only give them to people who pm me but good to know because I don't check if they are used.

Original Poster

loumar76

I wasn't aware of this, I give my code nearly every week. I only use … I wasn't aware of this, I give my code nearly every week. I only use them in the school holidays. In most cases I only give them to people who pm me but good to know because I don't check if they are used.

Awww how sweet. You see it's unsuspecting members who offer in good faith who are affected the most.

Chances are, if you didn't get a reply to your pm thanking you; it didn't get used happened to me on a number of occasions. Yesterday was simply the straw that broke the camels back

Original Poster

BagABargain78

1st world problem right here. Although I'm sure it is frustrating.

But you're absolutely right. I've had a cup of tea and a medicinal marijuana joint and fake accounts aren't that bad after all

We forget there are human beings behind computer usernames. With lives, needs and motivations for doing what they are doing.

Wrong of me to judge when I don't know their circumstances.

If it bothers me, I simply shouldn't give my codes to newbies. Dumb of me to rant and rave and advise others not give codes. It's upto them

Happy Friday everyone

Edited by: "dougrobbins78" 27th Jan

eslick

they do on certain things but not student codes, meerkat ones you see so … they do on certain things but not student codes, meerkat ones you see so many new users but the site allows these requests and any user who jokes about them being a new user and never to be seen again gets reminded of the sites code of conduct. As longer serving users many get sick of seeing these sorts of posts but just have to live with it as the site believes that they will be back and join in with the community, however there are plenty of these users that simply request codes again and use the site for that. Probably needs a separate tab just for codes to keep them away from the rest of the site.

It would stop the OP moaning about it, if he/she did.

Original Poster

WheresMeNuts

It would stop the OP moaning about it, if he/she did.

Thanks for arriving at that conclusion 20 mins after I had concluded the same and posted about in the above comment

I put a rule on my unidays code sharing thread that no codes are allowed to be posted on the comments, only PM requests where the person who requests the code can get the code only by PM. Should be standard on all these code sharing threads.

Banned

There is a slight irony this is on a site the encourages people to create new accounts on retailers websites to use 'New customer/first purchase' codes

Original Poster

Marcoos

There is a slight irony this is on a site the encourages people to create … There is a slight irony this is on a site the encourages people to create new accounts on retailers websites to use 'New customer/first purchase' codes

Gasp oO it certainly does not (_;) It posts genuine new customer codes that the retailer would want shared.

If unscrupulous people decide to abuse the system and use multiple new customer codes, that is not the responsibility of the OP or the site

Retailers can also very simply have safeguards implemented to prevent the misuse of new customer codes.
Edited by: "dougrobbins78" 27th Jan

Offers free stuff then cry when people ask for it

lol

Yeah, I'm done with giving codes away to new accounts. Noticed the same trend on the FS/FT section, brand new accounts selling their wares right off the bat. Guessing HUKD has been flagged on forums as an easy place to get free codes and sell your tat on.

dougrobbins78

Thanks for arriving at that conclusion 20 mins after I had concluded the … Thanks for arriving at that conclusion 20 mins after I had concluded the same and posted about in the above comment

20mins you say oO , I had come up with this conclusion on November 2009 when I joined (true story that) (_;)

its all good for the site owners more members looks better

Banned

Meerkat Movie code

free gaming download code

As you can see I am not a new user & I am also not proud.

If you have a spare Movie code I could use to take the kids to the cinema at half term I would welcome it.

I am also after a copy of Risk or Risk II for my PC & if you have a code for either of them could you pass my way too. At the moment, although the games are ancient, they still sell on ebay for £5-£7 each!!

Just asking..

dougrobbins78

I'd like to think I'm a patient person but I've come to the end of my … I'd like to think I'm a patient person but I've come to the end of my tether with regard to people creating fake HUKD accounts.

^ Fixed.

(PS. That means you, Arabian Knights [read: Three Stooges])

unless they have over 50 deals posted

and

been on here a year

then I wouldn't give them jack

I can offer free codes but only do so on request usualy from ppl i know unless they send nudz
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Topcashback Trick or Treat competition68746
    2. Win a villa holiday for two in Portugal with Four Seasons Fairways @ Sunday…22
    3. Win an unbelievable Windows Mixed Reality prize pack from Windows Central! …43
    4. Win two star gazing festival tickets in the north pennines43

See more discussions