Why did 3D TVs never take off?

Posted 17th Jan
Anyone know why 3D TVs never took off, can’t find any new TVs being produced with 3D, 7 years ago when I bought my last tv it was one of the key things to look for when buying a tv, did it have passive or active 3D.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

26 Comments
The glasses!
They make some people feel sick.
its a bit like asking "why do people keep falling for the 3 card trick?"
I still have my Sony 3D TV I bought about 3 years ago.
Still never got round to using the 3D though
I think it's down to the lack of decent 3D films to watch. Most films were not made in 3D and those that were tended to be gimicky. Also filming in 3D tends to inhibit creative film making as there are certain things you cannot do in 3D. At best, 3D is a novelty.
Pandamansays17/01/2020 09:48

I think it's down to the lack of decent 3D films to watch. Most films were …I think it's down to the lack of decent 3D films to watch. Most films were not made in 3D and those that were tended to be gimicky. Also filming in 3D tends to inhibit creative film making as there are certain things you cannot do in 3D. At best, 3D is a novelty.

They still make 3D movies and cinemas still have 3D shows..
I had a LG 3D tv that was passive and suffered ghosting really badly, then bought a Samsung passive that worked better but not amazing. Then I bought myself an Optoma projector with passive glasses and holy moly, the 3d is next level, if you want a good 3D experience buy yourself a projector
I think it's because it wasn't very good TBH. I enjoy watching 3D movies at the cinema but the experience was pretty poor on my Sony Bravia. I then upgraded to a Samsung QLED and the 3D feature was dropped.
We had one when it first came out. Just felt a bit strange sitting in the living room with the glasses on. Lost concentration quickly and took them off. Also made me feel a bit sick although never felt that way in the cinema. Found I could only sit at home with them on for around 10 mins
A lack of an aerodynamic design and poor propulsion system, plus a strong gravitational force, didn't really help either
Still have my 2x glitch price Panasonic plasmas, courtesy of M&S today, both still working & picture quality is still outstanding.

3D wasn't important to me at the time & still is today, just another gimmick. It's the same for the smart apps on TV's, old & new, they won't get long term support when the manufacturers releasing new TV's with new apps every year just to keep the money flowing.

I've rather have a dumb TV that has top quality optics then just buy & replace the smart dongle for the smart apps. Who wants to keep changing their TV's every few years just because the apps don't work? Don't be nieve, the manufacturers know this.

My next TV would have to be something that really shines out as technologically advance, maybe bevelless or 8K if there is enough media support but also price will be a deciding factor too.
Bargainhead17/01/2020 10:16

They still make 3D movies and cinemas still have 3D shows..

I've not seen any (advertised) for years so I thought they had stopped. To be fair though, I don't go to the cimena much.
Edited by: "Pandamansays" 17th Jan
I have many 3D blu-rays, but my 3D TV died last year and the new TVs no longer seem to support this functionality. Shame, because I liked it.
Edited by: "gslgregory" 27th Jan
Pandamansays17/01/2020 12:50

I've not seen any (advertised) for years so I thought they had stopped. To …I've not seen any (advertised) for years so I thought they had stopped. To be fair though, I don't go to the cimena much.

Frozen 2 and the new Star Wars you can see in 3D... what are out atm...
trivium17/01/2020 08:20

https://www.lifewire.com/why-3d-tv-died-4126776

Psvr will follow suit.
MR112317/01/2020 14:54

Psvr will follow suit.

It's sold over 5 million, not bad for a games console accessory. I'm pretty sure we will see a PSVR 2 on the PS5.
we have a 3D samsung TV which has a really good picture quality even on normal 2D. it came with glasses but we never watched anything in 3D except one movie when we first bought it. i find the glasses give me a headache, even in the cinema, so it doesn't work for me.
Bargainhead17/01/2020 13:44

Frozen 2 and the new Star Wars you can see in 3D... what are out atm...

I didn't even realise - thank you.
I hated 3d both at the cinema and at someone's home. I wear glasses and wearing a second pair was uncomfortable and distracting.
The tv companies colluded down the 4k/8k route as it is much cheaper to implement. I loved 3d and still regularly pay top whack for 3d at the cinema.
Derek_Fortescue_Shatwell17/01/2020 11:42

A lack of an aerodynamic design and poor propulsion system, plus a strong …A lack of an aerodynamic design and poor propulsion system, plus a strong gravitational force, didn't really help either

...Maybe you should take off...
RadiantDuck17/01/2020 21:13

I hated 3d both at the cinema and at someone's home. I wear glasses and …I hated 3d both at the cinema and at someone's home. I wear glasses and wearing a second pair was uncomfortable and distracting.

Never bothered me, didn’t notice really after the first 5 min or I’d put contacts in. Was worth it for the experience....but I get your point...
Bargainhead18/01/2020 06:17

Never bothered me, didn’t notice really after the first 5 min or I’d put co …Never bothered me, didn’t notice really after the first 5 min or I’d put contacts in. Was worth it for the experience....but I get your point...

To each their own I suppose!
gslgregory17/01/2020 13:33

I have many 3D blu-rays, but my 3D TV died last year and the news TVs no …I have many 3D blu-rays, but my 3D TV died last year and the news TVs no longer seem to support this functionality. Shame, because I liked it.

Have you got any marvels with slip cases?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants