EXPIRED

Why did my oven go on fire?

I just put some oil in the oven to heat up to cook potatoes. It was in for less than 30 seconds when I heard this popping noise so I opened the oven to take the tray out and loads of flames burst out!

I closed the door and turned the oven off, and the flames died down but I'm afraid to turn it back on to cook...

What ignited the spark? What will happen if I turn the oven back on? Is it really dangerous or has this happened to people before?

Thanks

20 Comments

Banned

Too much oil.

Original Poster

DLM;7697263

Too much oil.

The thing is it was only a tiny bit left in the bottle...

Banned

tkelo;7697266

Move it down a shelf :thumbsup:

cooking potatoes at this time of night on a friday, you maaaaad !!!! go out & buy a kebab

Banned

ur probs gonna die to be honest. move out

Original Poster

DLM;7697270

Move it down a shelf :thumbsup:

I'm just scared to turn it on again! So you think it's ok? I'm not a very experienced cook so I've no idea about these things!

Original Poster

richp;7697285

cooking potatoes at this time of night on a friday, you maaaaad !!!! go … cooking potatoes at this time of night on a friday, you maaaaad !!!! go out & buy a kebab

LOL I would but I'm skint! :thumbsup:

bykergrove;7697289

loool top tip

the oil must have gone onto the gas flame!!

Woooooahhhh Hooooaaaahhh This ovens on fire!!!! Love that song.

ei8hty5ive;7697618

Woooooahhhh Hooooaaaahhh This ovens on fire!!!! Love that song.

now you've just spoilt a great song...:x

try putting the taters in with the oil - shouldnt burn then.(unless uve the oven at a ridiculous temp)

Banned

nothng top do with the oil lol. it wouldnt get that hot in 30 seconds.

maybe a gas oven (?) and someone has spilt something on the oven bottom which is catching fire when you spark up the gas. Clean it!

Original Poster

No not gas, don't know to be honest...it is pretty old. Turned it back on and cleared te smoke out and was ok...thanks for comments guys

Banned

tkelo;7698249

No not gas, don't know to be honest...it is pretty old. Turned it back … No not gas, don't know to be honest...it is pretty old. Turned it back on and cleared te smoke out and was ok...thanks for comments guys

WTF!

you dont know whether your oven is gas or electric? :w00t:

I'd steer clear of using it in that case then - stick to a microwave :-D

Either way it sounds dangerous. Get it checked out!

Oil will ignite if it reaches too high a temperature - it doesn't need a flame or spark to ignite it (look at chip pan fires).

If you only had a little drop of oil in a large pan it would have spread very thinly over the pan and therefore heated very, very quickly so although it was only in for 30 seconds it could still have overheated.

Banned

bykergrove;7697289

This.

Banned

gari189;7699513

Oil will ignite if it reaches too high a temperature - it doesn't need a … Oil will ignite if it reaches too high a temperature - it doesn't need a flame or spark to ignite it (look at chip pan fires).If you only had a little drop of oil in a large pan it would have spread very thinly over the pan and therefore heated very, very quickly so although it was only in for 30 seconds it could still have overheated.

depends if oil was added to a hot pan for the 30 secs to have an effect. I think a cold pan was put in :thumbsup:

tkelo;7697266

You did take it out the bottle didn't you.

Banned

Who cooks potatoes in oil? shouldn't you coat them in oil first then put them on the pan?
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Weekly game codes giveaway 183722
    2. How much would you pay for this chair?1214
    3. GOT Leaks again614
    4. PS4 Beta Software Version 5710

See more discussions