Expired

Why do 3 sim designed not to work with 2G?

Found 29th Nov 2014
Other providers' sim work fine on 2G phones but not 3?

Why have they deliberately made their sim incompatible with 2G phones? What is the advantage of this to 3?
Community Updates
AskDual Sim
14 Comments
Really? I think you like asking daft question!
damo1972

Really? I think you like asking daft question!

so what is your daft answer then?
3 used 3g network only
littlecoupe

3 used 3g network only

this now makes sense.

Comment

mutley1

this now makes sense.

3G and 4g now lol
If it worked with 2G it wouldn't be called ' Three' but ' Two '. It does what it says on the name mate.
aramaj36

If it worked with 2G it wouldn't be called ' Three' but ' Two '. It does … If it worked with 2G it wouldn't be called ' Three' but ' Two '. It does what it says on the name mate.

so shouldn't they change their name to Four now? (_;)
I'm on 3 using Nokia 100 (2G handset). Only connects to Orange network but when using Moto G 4G, it can connect to 4G.
veedubjai

I'm on 3 using Nokia 100 (2G handset). Only connects to Orange network … I'm on 3 using Nokia 100 (2G handset). Only connects to Orange network but when using Moto G 4G, it can connect to 4G.

interesting you say that it connects to orange for 2g. others have said that when they put the three sim into their 2g phone, it does not work at all.

why would three connect to orange?
mutley1

interesting you say that it connects to orange for 2g. others have said … interesting you say that it connects to orange for 2g. others have said that when they put the three sim into their 2g phone, it does not work at all.why would three connect to orange?

I'm on 3 pay monthly atm. Only thing I can think of is network coverage where 3G is non-existance like Scotland.

There is still Orange 2G access in some places throughout the UK. However, Orange 2G can only be used for calls/texts. You can not use Orange's network for data.

Tbh i rarely have no signal with 3 everywhere i go these days when using Moto G 4G.

Just tried using 3 SIM on Nokia 100 & showing 3 network oO but previously was showing as Orange. That was a couple of months ago before I had the Moto G 4G handset.

Will leave my SIM in Nokia 100 & report back any change.
Update mutley1.

My Nokia 100 is currently showing Orange now with 3 SIM. SIM & handset needed a bit of adjustment for network connectivity since this early morning.

Bear in mind that I've not move my handset (in the same room) changing SIMs so there are sparodic blackspots around the country for even 2G oO as if I recall couple of months ago when ever I was inside my local Tesco Extra store (highlighted always) where I couldn't even get a 2G signal with my 3 SIM, again using the Nokia 100.

I usually get dropped calls in my house with anything with no signal bars to 2/3 bars on 2G but everything on 3G & 4G is fine when I change the handset to min 3G standard one.

As far as I'm aware 3 won't give any monkeys with 2G with more investment then you also have to contend with T-Mobile UK & Orange UK merger which we all know that existing T-Mobile UK & Orange UK plans continue to use EE's 2G & 3G networks.

Whether 3 will use EE's 2G freq at late stage of complete merger take over is another thought which I think will massively improve as I've tried EE's 2G SIMs & they give out far better 2G coverage.

Go figure...
It would appear that my Nokia 100 with 3 SIM is jumping between Orange & 3 for the past day even though Nokia 100 is 2G only. oO
veedubjai

It would appear that my Nokia 100 with 3 SIM is jumping between Orange & … It would appear that my Nokia 100 with 3 SIM is jumping between Orange & 3 for the past day even though Nokia 100 is 2G only. oO

it is very odd that your 3 sim even picks up orange signal as orange belongs to ee, not the three network.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants