Expired

Why do Amazon gift cards expire in UK and not US?

Found 27th Mar 2013
Was planning on building up Amazon vouchers gained from surveys to spend on something big, but noticed they expire after one year, as per this page:

amazon.co.uk/gp/gc

However, also noticed that on the US site they never expire, as per this page:

amazon.com/gp/gc

This seems a bit unfair! Does anybody know why this is? I'm sure I'm not really going to be able to gain anything from finding out but it would be interesting to know. Maybe it's related to difference in laws in each country or something.
Community Updates
4 Comments
It does seem unfair. Although it states a year for the UK I have vouchers that expire at different times even though I added them in 2012 around the same time; some are 30th Dec 2015 and the rest are 31st Dec 2015. I didn't add any on them dates so it's not exact anyway.

However, you can just save up on the survey sites and redeem a higher value of vouchers at once so you don't have the vouchers sitting in your Amazon account waiting to expire.
Surely this is not legal?
GamingDevil

It does seem unfair. Although it states a year for the UK I have vouchers … It does seem unfair. Although it states a year for the UK I have vouchers that expire at different times even though I added them in 2012 around the same time; some are 30th Dec 2015 and the rest are 31st Dec 2015. I didn't add any on them dates so it's not exact anyway.However, you can just save up on the survey sites and redeem a higher value of vouchers at once so you don't have the vouchers sitting in your Amazon account waiting to expire.

That's true. Although for some reason I'm always a bit apprehensive about leaving too much money in my accounts on survey sites in case they go under, or decide to block my account for no apparent reason (this hasn't happened to me yet but I've heard about others it has happened to).

I can't see why any vouchers should expire at all really. I'm sure it makes for a bit of an accountancy nightmare in some respects but at the end of the day it's your money, and if they can do it in the US they should be able to do it here.
krabople

That's true. Although for some reason I'm always a bit apprehensive about … That's true. Although for some reason I'm always a bit apprehensive about leaving too much money in my accounts on survey sites in case they go under, or decide to block my account for no apparent reason (this hasn't happened to me yet but I've heard about others it has happened to).I can't see why any vouchers should expire at all really. I'm sure it makes for a bit of an accountancy nightmare in some respects but at the end of the day it's your money, and if they can do it in the US they should be able to do it here.

Yeah, I know what you mean. I'm the same. So long as you follow the rules a good survey site shouldn't just block your account and, if they do, you should be able to contact them and sort it. As for going under, if they've been around for over a year there's less chance that they'll suddenly go under. Just make sure to keep checking the site (and social network pages) regular so you know of any news, changes or problems. If it looks like they're going through a bit of a bad time (complaints about surveys not crediting, less surveys, lack of payments, payment problems etc) then you can always redeem the vouchers earlier than planned to be safe.

You could redeem them when you have enough cash/points (or redeem an item, depending on the site) and get other things you'd normally buy for free. Then you can save the money you would have spent on them and when you've saved enough buy the main item you wanted. You'd still be getting everything you wanted and getting something free.

A year is still quite a long time really, although I don't get why they should expire either. At least Amazon have a wide range of products so if you don't save up enough in time then you can always buy something else you want or buy and sell an item to get the money towards what you really want.

I don't think it's fair they expire, but at least there are options so you don't lose out.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants