Why do Blu-ray cost so much

Posted 12th Apr
I've never been into collecting Blu-ray discs but now I have my Dolby Atmos setup I thought I'll try some out but boy are they expensive especially the 4K UHD ones

I was looking at Mad Max and Blade Runner 2049 and couldn't believe the price

Why is this?
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

Top comments
Probably due to lack of sales in the format...sadly they are becoming increasingly marginalised as people take to streaming in favour of the format. 4K UHD is further marginalised than even standard Blu Ray.

Unlike years ago when people strived to get the best audio they could afford. These days the majority of people seem to be happy with sound bars at the most under their tv's and feed their music and pseudo surround sound through such.

AV Receivers therefore are considered niché, the use of the extra height speakers with Dolby Atmos in a home environment even more niché.

Unfortunately whilst the average Joe Public these days wants to buy into 4K resolution televisions they do not realise/understand that UHD streaming on them bitrate is substandard in comparision to the UHD disc releases..and actually what they are watching is only marginally better than standard Blu Ray. The average Joe Public too (especially in increasingly small UK family homes) does not have the room or interest in home cinema setups. They would not even be utilising the compressed Dolby Digital Plus transmissions from many a streaming service, let alone anything lossless and height channel codecs.
18 Comments
Aren't Blu-ray and 4K UHD ones different?

I'm still on DVDs myself
Crustysock12/04/2020 06:37

Aren't Blu-ray and 4K UHD ones different? I'm still on DVDs …Aren't Blu-ray and 4K UHD ones different? I'm still on DVDs myself

Isn't blu ray HD and then you have 4K UHD format that obviously jumps up in price

I could just buy it to watch on Amazon prime but not sure if get it in 4k or Dolby Atmos then especially as most of my 4k films I've been watching recently on Netflix and Amazon and Disney+ aren't even playing in 4k at the minute with the reduction in bandwidth
£10 for new blade and £20 on eBay isn’t bad or buy used from eBay or cex
Misslovely12/04/2020 06:45

£10 for new blade and £20 on eBay isn’t bad or buy used from eBay or cex

£10 for new bladerunner in 4K UHD on blu-ray?
Have you got link please?

I did have a look on eBay for used in both films I mentioned but again was quite expensive. Close to £20 each
Edited by: "efc_4ever" 12th Apr
efc_4ever12/04/2020 06:46

£10 for new bladerunner in 4K UHD on blu-ray?Have you got link please?I …£10 for new bladerunner in 4K UHD on blu-ray?Have you got link please?I did have a look on eBay for used in both films I mentioned but again was quite expensive. Close to £20 each

254475742875 eBay item number and delivery free
Misslovely12/04/2020 06:48

254475742875 eBay item number and delivery free

That'll do me . Thanks
Looks like the OP is confused about what a blu-ray is and what a 4K UHD disc is. They aren't the same thing, though most 4K UHD releases will include a blu-ray as a second disc. Blu-rays can be had inexpensively, you find them in Poundland for £2 and places like Music Magpie and CEX have them cheap. 4K discs on the other hand are more expensive but then again you are getting an increased resolution and HDR. Only you can decide if paying the extra for a 4K disc over a blu-ray is worth it for you. In really simple terms think of the difference between blu-ray and 4K discs as a little like the difference betwween DVDs and Blu-ray, you pay a premium to watch a film that looks better.
Because the prices are higher
You wanted the amazon Italy deal last year , I got 5 4k Blu-ray for less than £15
Edited by: "ashmac" 12th Apr
xtreme12312/04/2020 08:43

Because the prices are higher

Obviously but why and why by so much
Edited by: "efc_4ever" 12th Apr
efc_4ever12/04/2020 09:01

Obviously but why and why by so much

Because the sellers want more for those
@efc_4ever try cex, they're cheap there
Probably due to lack of sales in the format...sadly they are becoming increasingly marginalised as people take to streaming in favour of the format. 4K UHD is further marginalised than even standard Blu Ray.

Unlike years ago when people strived to get the best audio they could afford. These days the majority of people seem to be happy with sound bars at the most under their tv's and feed their music and pseudo surround sound through such.

AV Receivers therefore are considered niché, the use of the extra height speakers with Dolby Atmos in a home environment even more niché.

Unfortunately whilst the average Joe Public these days wants to buy into 4K resolution televisions they do not realise/understand that UHD streaming on them bitrate is substandard in comparision to the UHD disc releases..and actually what they are watching is only marginally better than standard Blu Ray. The average Joe Public too (especially in increasingly small UK family homes) does not have the room or interest in home cinema setups. They would not even be utilising the compressed Dolby Digital Plus transmissions from many a streaming service, let alone anything lossless and height channel codecs.
cicobuff12/04/2020 09:17

Probably due to lack of sales in the format...sadly they are becoming …Probably due to lack of sales in the format...sadly they are becoming increasingly marginalised as people take to streaming in favour of the format. 4K UHD is further marginalised than even standard Blu Ray. Unlike years ago when people strived to get the best audio they could afford. These days the majority of people seem to be happy with sound bars at the most under their tv's and feed their music and pseudo surround sound through such.AV Receivers therefore are considered niché, the use of the extra height speakers with Dolby Atmos in a home environment even more niché. Unfortunately whilst the average Joe Public these days wants to buy into 4K resolution televisions they do not realise/understand that UHD streaming on them bitrate is substandard in comparision to the UHD disc releases..and actually what they are watching is only marginally better than standard Blu Ray. The average Joe Public too (especially in increasingly small UK family homes) does not have the room or interest in home cinema setups. They would not even be utilising the compressed Dolby Digital Plus transmissions from many a streaming service, let alone anything lossless and height channel codecs.

Was about to say the same thing. Think most people are looking for streaming services and digital versions for their media now. I looked into 4k blu rays for my new TV but the cost of the player and the discs is too high in my opinion. I know it’s not as good quality but when you can get 4k stuff on Disney plus and Netflix for so cheap I can’t justify the additional cost for the slight increase in quality.
Usually about £25 for a 4K disc at present (although they often come with a BR version).

In the distant past, I used to be quite a bit buyer of DVDs. Had my chipped / region free player and used to order loads of R1 discs from the US as back then, a lot of films that had or wouldn't reach our cinemas for months, were available to buy from the US for a few £.
Still got my BR player from many years ago, and it works fine with everything thrown at it. Not sure what it cost, but probably around £200?
Last thing I bought was Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure as <£10. Before that, Avengers: Infinity War etc. which didn't really grab me a second time.

As for buying discs these days, most movies I've seen so many times, I don't really want to buy them, and most modern films are crap, so I'm not paying up to £25 for something second rate (see half of them on transatlantic flights anyway).
Streaming wise, begrudge forking out £7.99 or whatever to rent a movie Like a physical disc in most cases.

Did try Disney+ and it stream 3 Simpsons episodes for me and then never worked again. Disney logo on screen and no streaming.
Other services are too limited compared to what I want to watch, and I don't want to be paying for multiple services in order to watch a fraction of what I want to see.
i dont know why or how people have dvds or blu rays its crazy i dont own one cd dvd blu ray i dare i say vhs lol
Edited by: "kevlfc" 12th Apr
kevlfc12/04/2020 10:45

i dont know why or how people have dvds or blu rays its crazy i dont own …i dont know why or how people have dvds or blu rays its crazy i dont own one cd dvd blu ray i dare i say vhs lol

To watch and listen to them.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions