Why do cracked plasma/lcd tellies fetch so much on ebay?

As above, they can't be repaired so why do people buy them?

And how much is mine worth on a buy it now?

17 Comments

Original Poster

Following on from this thread hotukdeals.com/for…428 now we have received the cheque I need to dispose of the TV, its this model here amazon.co.uk/Sha…0PW
damaged as below:

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s308/harlzter/DSCF1655.jpg

How much should I ask and why do people buy them? Am I missing something here?

I've always wonderd that as well. I thought maybe some sort of insurance scam.

thank god its only a sharp and not a Pioneer, I nearly died.

I remember this thread, glad you got it sorted

Original Poster

ants97;4298904

I've always wonderd that as well. I thought maybe some sort of insurance … I've always wonderd that as well. I thought maybe some sort of insurance scam.

Good thought, I'm surprised the insurance company didnt want the thing or at least record the serial number, I suppose even if someone paid £200 for it the gain on insurance would net a £700 profit (as they paid us £912 as a cheque)

black gerbil1;4298905

thank god its only a sharp and not a Pioneer, I nearly died.

Cost just under £1k a year ago, i've lost £80 by claiming on the insurance so not a bad loss as the equivalent is £6-700, i'd have been gutted if we hadn't got accidental damage cover:oops:

Angelstar;4298913

I remember this thread, glad you got it sorted

Thanks hun, 5 weeks watching a 28" CRT and using 360 on it has been murder! Thats getting freecycled as soon as its replacement gets her:-D

Have to remember that the scaler boards and PSU etc still fetch decent money, more to a tv than the screen alone.

I think thats why they fetch money, as in spares for repair jobs, recently went to a domestic appliance repair place for a new vacuum belt, and got talking to a guy there surrounded by a number of LCDs in various states of repair. Knowing how reliable they are meant to be I was surprised, he told me that whilst in general they are more reliable, if something does go, they are expensive, because of the boards used in them, a scaler board for a certain model can be £150-200, then labour on top of that.

PS glad to read from your other thread you seemed to have done alright out of your insurance claim for sure.

harlzter;4298963

Cost just under £1k a year ago, i've lost £80 by claiming on the i … Cost just under £1k a year ago, i've lost £80 by claiming on the insurance so not a bad loss as the equivalent is £6-700, i'd have been gutted if we hadn't got accidental damage cover:oops:Thanks hun, 5 weeks watching a 28" CRT and using 360 on it has been murder! Thats getting freecycled as soon as its replacement gets her:-D

you wanna see the small tv we play xbox on u would p u self but nevermind it works :thumbsup:

Banned

ants97;4298904

I've always wonderd that as well. I thought maybe some sort of insurance … I've always wonderd that as well. I thought maybe some sort of insurance scam.

I always thought that as well.... though as someone else has said - spare parts too.

Original Poster

Angelstar;4298983

you wanna see the small tv we play xbox on u would p u self but nevermind … you wanna see the small tv we play xbox on u would p u self but nevermind it works :thumbsup:

It doesnt help we have just redecorated and moved the furniture around as we now sit twice as far away, At our old house we only had a 21" as the room was so small anything else would have been overkill:thumbsup:

Banned

harlzter;4298963

Good thought, I'm surprised the insurance company didnt want the thing or … Good thought, I'm surprised the insurance company didnt want the thing or at least record the serial number, I suppose even if someone paid £200 for it the gain on insurance would net a £700 profit (as they paid us £912 as a cheque)Cost just under £1k a year ago, i've lost £80 by claiming on the insurance so not a bad loss as the equivalent is £6-700, i'd have been gutted if we hadn't got accidental damage cover:oops:

Oooh..... Has idea.... £1800 back for accidently letting go of the wii remote!

get a 50" lol

harlzter;4299024

It doesnt help we have just redecorated and moved the furniture around as … It doesnt help we have just redecorated and moved the furniture around as we now sit twice as far away, At our old house we only had a 21" as the room was so small anything else would have been overkill:thumbsup:

lol our xbox is in the bedroom as the kids play on the wii downstairs so out tv is tiny, I would love one of those huge plasmas but the baby bangs hell out of the tv with his toys so it wouldn't last a week, he is a wicked baby, you tell him off and he scowls at you :oops:

Original Poster

guv;4299046

Oooh..... Has idea.... £1800 back for accidently letting go of the wii … Oooh..... Has idea.... £1800 back for accidently letting go of the wii remote!

Bloody hell you've upgraded from the £100 Beko then?:-D

It's not just TVs, it's many other items which in some cases seem to draw considerably more attention to fully working products despite the prices being worrying close. In some aspects I think the buyers are getting carried away with their bidding in their hope to get a cheap item they think they can repair despite the fact that the device may be far beyond economical repair.

John

Original Poster

Angelstar;4299065

I would love one of those huge plasmas but the baby bangs hell out of the … I would love one of those huge plasmas but the baby bangs hell out of the tv with his toys so it wouldn't last a week, he is a wicked baby, you tell him off and he scowls at you :oops:

Ours (nearly three now) just gives you a cheeky grin and gets away with it!
This one (new one) is getting wall mounted out of harms way, trouble is our walls aren't that solid so its going to be extra long bolts that finish outside!

Banned

harlzter;4299068

Bloody hell you've upgraded from the £100 Beko then?:-D

They are bedroom sets for the kids! You dont think I'd use a 32" LCD for the home theatre room do you? :w00t:

Have a look at how to kill a tv..... scroll down and click on wii fail ]http//fa…/9/
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. USS Indianapolis wreckage to be considered as a war memorial45
    2. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764334
    3. Entitled to overtime to be included in your holiday pay614
    4. Supermarket may have sold Sausages & Other Pork products may have been inf…1326

See more discussions