Groups

Why do diabetics get all medicines for free?

Banned
    If you are a diabetic, you can get an exemption card that allows you free medicine.
    I'm guessing this was originally done due to the amount of Metformin needed by Diabetics which would cost an absolute fortune.
    However, why should they also be entitled to any other medicines for free? especially those that are unrelated to Diabetes?
    I have to pay over £8 per item on my prescriptions. Diabetes does not necessarily make a person too poor to pay for their prescriptions.

This needs to change. Perhaps only allow Diabetes-related medicine for free?

145 Comments

Tory?

Original Poster Banned

willhay555

Tory?

Tax payer?

Banned

Buy a yearly card if you need regular medication.

Don't begrudge people with very serious health problems the help they need.

People with diabetes can spend huge amounts of time receiving dialysis and need all the help they can get.

Diabetic are more prone to infections and illness. It take them longer to heal after an illness and they develop other illness's. I am a diabetic type 1, and have been for 36 years.

Banned

It may be due to the fact that diabetes makes you prone to other health issues too. I think it weakens ones immune system.

i have to pay £8.05 every month for my heart tablets,i get nothing off,carp happens......or move to wales!

Look on the bright side, at least you don't have diabetes.

But if you do, you will be able to get your meds free.

It's a win win for this tax payer.

I totally agree - my husband is epileptic and used to get ALL his medicines free (he's over 60 now). I could never figure out why he got antibiotics for a sore throat free for example when there was no connection with his epilepsy. One way to save NHS a bit of money would be to stop this practise!

Are you dumb or something its a life long condition, they need insulin, needles, cotton whool, test strips, alcohol wipes or surgical spirit and glucose tablets.

why the hell should they have to pay persciption costs every month for the rest of their life? No one should thats what the nhs is for and thats how it needs to stay.

it affects other things, like needing extra iron, having poor circulation and eye problems, it restricts the kind of work you can do, no staying on your feet for long periods no working in very hot or very cold environments like bakeries or food production
    Edited by: "Error440" 4th Jan 2015

Yep, Tory.

I buy a yearly card for my medication and save money since I have 3 regular medicines which would be £24.15 whereas my card costs just over £10 per month

You can buy a prepayment card for prescriptions if you feel that hard done by.

I am a tax payer and I am diabetic which causes other medical problems which also can lead to me having limbs chopped off , so hopefully its my fingers that go 1st so I cant stick them up at you

OP,
    I bet you were in favour of restricting free school milk for children.

Original Poster Banned

Can none of you numpties read English, or did you deliberately miss the final sentence in the original post?

Banned

Error440

Are you dumb or something its a life long condition, they need insulin, … Are you dumb or something its a life long condition, they need insulin, needles, cotton whool, test strips, alcohol wipes or surgical spirit and glucose tablets.why the hell should they have to pay persciption costs every month for the rest of their life? No one should thats what the nhs is for and thats how it needs to stay.it affects other things, like needing extra iron, having poor circulation and eye problems, it restricts the kind of work you can do, no staying on your feet for long periods no working in very hot or very cold environments like bakeries or food production

Why not?

Villa

Can none of you numpties read English, or did you deliberately miss the … Can none of you numpties read English, or did you deliberately miss the final sentence in the original post?

So how do us " numpties " define what is related or not. ?

Villa

Can none of you numpties read English, or did you deliberately miss the … Can none of you numpties read English, or did you deliberately miss the final sentence in the original post?

my sister is anemic as a result of diabetes, her immune system which produces no insulin itself it starting to give up processing other things too, she is also on vitamin E supplements and something else I can't remember to stop her getting cataracts again.

is that not diabetes related to you? Who are you to say what is or isn't related to the condition, colds hit harder and cause trouble eith the insurlin/carbs balance so little viruses are a problem too which is why they can get free flu jabs.

Villa

So what is related and what isn't?

Diabetes can leave you prone to a significant number of other illnesses.
    Why not just chalk this one up to ignorance that has been corrected with education and move on?

maxim24

Why not?

bad circulation, my sister gets terrible blisters on her feet and if they pop can get infected so more medication needed there and temperature affects insulins, so you can end up in a coma.

Tricky one, I have a medical condition which means I have to take prescription medicine for the rest of my life, thank God it doesn't affect me too much, but I get no exemption have to pay every month.

The OP is an idiot. I can't believe people are even entertaining it.

Clearly the OP has no real understanding of diabetes, otherwise he/she would never have posted this.

Post fail.

Original Poster Banned

Inactive

So how do us " numpties " define what is related or not. ?

You don't. That's something for Government ministers to work out based on advice from health care professionals.
    In my opinion they should draw-up a list of medications that can be prescribed for free.
    This would stop silly irrelevant things like Gaviscon or Immodium being prescribed for free.

Original Poster Banned

Error440

bad circulation, my sister gets terrible blisters on her feet and if … bad circulation, my sister gets terrible blisters on her feet and if they pop can get infected so more medication needed there and temperature affects insulins, so you can end up in a coma.

But surely that isn't commonplace though?
    I know a number of diabetics, many of whom are high-earners and it has had very little impact on their ability to work in a professional environment.

Error440

Are you dumb or something its a life long condition, they need insulin, … Are you dumb or something its a life long condition, they need insulin, needles, cotton whool, test strips, alcohol wipes or surgical spirit and glucose tablets.why the hell should they have to pay persciption costs every month for the rest of their life? No one should thats what the nhs is for and thats how it needs to stay.it affects other things, like needing extra iron, having poor circulation and eye problems, it restricts the kind of work you can do, no staying on your feet for long periods no working in very hot or very cold environments like bakeries or food production

Yikes !!!! oO Neither of these should still be being used prior to injection of insulin and other intradermal / subdermal sites as research has shown that they are the main cause of ' Hardening of the skin '
    ( Good ! ) Hospitals haven't used them for years Nor should they be used with an ' Insulin Pen '

Villa

This numpty doesn't recall the final sentence the first time around, however irrelevant it has proved to be.

Edited by: "willhay555" 4th Jan 2015

Error440

bad circulation, my sister gets terrible blisters on her feet and if … bad circulation, my sister gets terrible blisters on her feet and if they pop can get infected so more medication needed there and temperature affects insulins, so you can end up in a coma.

That's mainly caused by ' poorly controlled medication ' , ' poor patient compliance ' , coupled with ' poor diet / adherence to Diadetic Restricted Diet ' . I STRESS mainly not always

Villa

But surely that isn't commonplace though?I know a number of diabetics, … But surely that isn't commonplace though?I know a number of diabetics, many of whom are high-earners and it has had very little impact on their ability to work in a professional environment.

depends on if they are type 1 or 2 and the severity, my sister produces no insulin at all which is obviously the worst type, some are so mild they don't need anything at all past a strict diet.

Villa

But surely that isn't commonplace though?I know a number of diabetics, … But surely that isn't commonplace though?I know a number of diabetics, many of whom are high-earners and it has had very little impact on their ability to work in a professional environment.

It is commonplace. You don't know anything.

Villa

You don't. That's something for Government ministers to work out based on … You don't. That's something for Government ministers to work out based on advice from health care professionals.In my opinion they should draw-up a list of medications that can be prescribed for free.This would stop silly irrelevant things like Gaviscon or Immodium being prescribed for free.

Actually diabetes is linked to things like heartburn and there are specific diabetic conditions linked to diarrhoea as well!
    ... So they are pretty relevant.. what else shouldn't they get in your expert medical opinion?

Hey, addicts get free methadone but I can see how a diabetic who didn't make the choice to need insulin is totally a bad person.

You should be president

Blindness
    Limb amputation
    Organ failure
    Nerve damage

Just a few complications for Diabetes sufferers.

fungimala

Yikes !!!! oO Neither of these should still be being used prior to … Yikes !!!! oO Neither of these should still be being used prior to injection of insulin and other intradermal / subdermal sites as research has shown that they are the main cause of ' Hardening of the skin '( Good ! ) Hospitals haven't used them for years Nor should they be used with an ' Insulin Pen '

Maybe its not alcohol I don't know its wipes anyway, I assumed it was as she used to get surgical spirit for cleaning her blood tester and stuff

i think i'd rather pay for the medicines than to become diabetic and get them for free.

Error440

Maybe its not alcohol I don't know its wipes anyway, I assumed it was as … Maybe its not alcohol I don't know its wipes anyway, I assumed it was as she used to get surgical spirit for cleaning her blood tester and stuff

Sorry Error , but good Clean, Handwashing , Basic Hygiene etc are now deemed sufficient and are better for the individual concered ............Diabetes really shouldn't be covered here as it is such a complex disease and symptomology varies greatly from person to person

Villa

You don't. That's something for Government ministers to work out based on … You don't. That's something for Government ministers to work out based on advice from health care professionals.In my opinion they should draw-up a list of medications that can be prescribed for free.This would stop silly irrelevant things like Gaviscon or Immodium being prescribed for free.

I just hope that you are never diagnosed with diabetes, you may just change your mind then.

fungimala

Sorry Error , but good Clean, Handwashing , Basic Hygiene etc are now … Sorry Error , but good Clean, Handwashing , Basic Hygiene etc are now deemed sufficient and are better for the individual concered ............Diabetes really shouldn't be covered here as it is such a complex disease and symptomology varies greatly from person to person

I don't know her preparations for injecting, she never does it in public, seen her do blood tests tho, she was diagnosed 20 odd years ago or more and I've not lived under the same roof as her for years, pretty sure she has individually wrapped wipes for something I swear I noticed em in the pouch with the blood tester when she bought it round to test my blood sugar when I was ill..

Error440

I don't know her preparations for injecting, she never does it in public, … I don't know her preparations for injecting, she never does it in public, seen her do blood tests tho, she was diagnosed 20 odd years ago or more and I've not lived under the same roof as her for years, pretty sure she has individually wrapped wipes for something I swear I noticed em in the pouch with the blood tester when she bought it round to test my blood sugar when I was ill..

OMG !!! Error ,I hope she isn't using Medi-Swabs prior to checking her Blood Sugar mmols /mg/dl as this seriously distorts an ' accurate ' Blood Sugar reading prior to injecting the insulin ,
    I know I said ' no further discussion ' but has she got a ' named ' Diabetic Nurse ? x
    Edited by: "fungimala" 4th Jan 2015
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Back to school: what's your views on your kids uniform and piercing rules e…24104
      2. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …4211871
      3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764653
      4. Show us your Photos 2017. August's Theme - Animals31411

See more discussions