Why do HUKD staff/mods remove comments that contain non-offensive/aggressive naughty words?

Posted 30th Jul 2020Edited by:"PenguinsForAll"
A bit difficult to fit it all into a title however..

Clearly this forum is targeted towards adults - considering it is a website advertising products for sale - even sex toys. So my question is:

Why are the rules or staff/mods so quick to remove comments when a user might write even the most weak, juvenile swear word even if your comment as a whole is fitting and abiding by the rules.

If you were to post the most helpful and polite reply that has ever existed yet you wrote somewhere in the reply the word for poop that begins with S and ends with hit, your comment will be removed so fast you will be eligible to put in a claim for whiplash.

Why are the rules for posting so incredibly nanny like? I can understand not wanting to scare off sponsors however this is just ridiculous. If

HUKD is so incredibly against primary school aged naughty words then why is there not an automatic word filter like every other forum out there?

Or better yet, just don't nanny naughty words. If someone is using such a word in a non-aggressive or threatening manner then what's the big deal? It's not like a product buying website is intended for children to browse anyway.

Edit: fixed formatting
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
MadeDixonsCry30/07/2020 18:02

It's just a bit of lighthearted fun and a play on grammar usage. Where's …It's just a bit of lighthearted fun and a play on grammar usage. Where's your sense of humour?Same with my last two comments that got deleted.

We live in an era where being offended is a full time occupation for far too many people.
What I want to know is who mods the mods and who mods the mods that mod the mods...
J_s3130/07/2020 20:23

You can keep complaining all your life about everything and anything , you …You can keep complaining all your life about everything and anything , you can always find something Complain-able in everything be great full that you have this site instead of complaining that your comment got deleted as if it is that important that everyone won’t manage with out seeing it Honestly..............Thank you everyone for your amazing deals Thank you admin for running such a great site👏👏

@Jason is this your mum or your dad
68 Comments
Hi @PenguinsForAll It isn't just because there might be children using the site (which you have mentioned) but because we want to ensure people are respectful to each other at all times. If we filter out swearwords we can ensure that any offensive comments don't reach public view.

You say about swearwords not being directed at another member or that it isn't used to be offensive but if you're using it to describe a product or service we're sure people have another word in their vocabulary which they can use instead.

To me it just seems a little needless to want to swear on a platform which clearly states in its rules that members cannot post swearwords.
No need to use a swear word when you have this:
@Jason why was I suspended for commenting on one of your “ community support “ post I didn’t break any rules and then when I went on my other account I got suspended further
sdylan30/07/2020 17:00

@Jason why was I suspended for commenting on one of your “ community s …@Jason why was I suspended for commenting on one of your “ community support “ post I didn’t break any rules and then when I went on my other account I got suspended further

I'll drop you a message. We don't like to discuss account specific queries on the boards.
Jason30/07/2020 17:01

I'll drop you a message. We don't like to discuss account specific queries …I'll drop you a message. We don't like to discuss account specific queries on the boards.

Ok

@Jason why was I suspended for commenting on one of your “ community s …@Jason why was I suspended for commenting on one of your “ community support “ post I didn’t break any rules and then when I went on my other account I got suspended further

Another multi account
How many are there @Jason ?
Is there a complaining about mods thread?
Blueskinnedbeast30/07/2020 17:09

Another multi account How many are there @Jason ?

Once upon a time you got suspended if you had multiple accounts......means you can put in multiple entries for HUKD comps....
gari18930/07/2020 17:29

Once upon a time you got suspended if you had multiple accounts......means …Once upon a time you got suspended if you had multiple accounts......means you can put in multiple entries for HUKD comps....

If it is to get around our site rules then you still do.

I went on my other account I got suspended further.

Nope I can't think why either
I've had the comment "No" deleted before think it depends on the mod some just abuse their power
furbars30/07/2020 17:38

I've had the comment "No" deleted before think it depends on the mod some …I've had the comment "No" deleted before think it depends on the mod some just abuse their power

Someone started a thread: Can anyone recommend a decent case for a 2018 iPad?

Your comment ONLY said "No". It was not helpful to the discussion so it was deleted. It just wasn't needed.
Jason30/07/2020 17:42

Someone started a thread: Can anyone recommend a decent case for a 2018 …Someone started a thread: Can anyone recommend a decent case for a 2018 iPad?Your comment ONLY said "No". It was not helpful to the discussion so it was deleted. It just wasn't needed.

Really would have thought you would have bigger fish to fry, but obviously not.
Jason30/07/2020 17:42

Someone started a thread: Can anyone recommend a decent case for a 2018 …Someone started a thread: Can anyone recommend a decent case for a 2018 iPad?Your comment ONLY said "No". It was not helpful to the discussion so it was deleted. It just wasn't needed.

It's just a bit of lighthearted fun and a play on grammar usage. Where's your sense of humour?

Same with my last two comments that got deleted.

It's just a bit of lighthearted fun and a play on grammar usage. Where's …It's just a bit of lighthearted fun and a play on grammar usage. Where's your sense of humour?Same with my last two comments that got deleted.

Lighthearted fun?
Sense of humour ?

Reported for hurting my feelings
What I want to know is who mods the mods and who mods the mods that mod the mods...
I have noticed in some threads comments get deleted for not being helpful, even though the thread was just banter, perhaps they should have serious answers/replies only is added to the opening title.
PennyTrader30/07/2020 18:09

What I want to know is who mods the mods and who mods the mods that mod …What I want to know is who mods the mods and who mods the mods that mod the mods...

We live in an era where being offended is a full time occupation for far too many people.
My comment got removed because I used a word big wig when talking about government....
You can keep complaining all your life about everything and anything , you can always find something Complain-able in everything be great full that you have this site instead of complaining that your comment got deleted as if it is that important that everyone won’t manage with out seeing it
Honestly..............
Thank you everyone for your amazing deals
Thank you admin for running such a great site👏👏

You can keep complaining all your life about everything and anything , you …You can keep complaining all your life about everything and anything , you can always find something Complain-able in everything be great full that you have this site instead of complaining that your comment got deleted as if it is that important that everyone won’t manage with out seeing it Honestly..............Thank you everyone for your amazing deals Thank you admin for running such a great site👏👏

@Jason is this your mum or your dad
PennyTrader30/07/2020 18:09

What I want to know is who mods the mods and who mods the mods that mod …What I want to know is who mods the mods and who mods the mods that mod the mods...

You know that the original 'who guards the guardians' quote is from a latin poem discussing how to stop your wife seducing everybody in sight.

Go read Juvenal - it is a good read.
I'm pretty sure they just delete stuff that's been reported without reading it. Such as by those I've owned on here.
I think I've had "bugger" deleted before as it was deemed offensive. Yes, seriously.
HankHandsome30/07/2020 21:01

I think I've had "bugger" deleted before as it was deemed offensive. Yes, …I think I've had "bugger" deleted before as it was deemed offensive. Yes, seriously.

I suppose it depends on the words before and after it
I made a joke about "taking the pee" (though it was asterixed) and I got told off - I was just pre-empting it happening, and of course, someone else made the joke, but in a way that didn't get flagged...

I'd imagine posting local deals is difficult if you live in DN15...I'd asterisk the town name, but this comment would just go in the mod queue.

Nastiness for the sake of it is more frustrating/annoying than over-zealous moderation of words that might offend, imo.

Typo on the word "ruining", bro.
Jason30/07/2020 16:48

Hi @PenguinsForAll It isn't just because there might be children using the …Hi @PenguinsForAll It isn't just because there might be children using the site (which you have mentioned) but because we want to ensure people are respectful to each other at all times. If we filter out swearwords we can ensure that any offensive comments don't reach public view. You say about swearwords not being directed at another member or that it isn't used to be offensive but if you're using it to describe a product or service we're sure people have another word in their vocabulary which they can use instead. To me it just seems a little needless to want to swear on a platform which clearly states in its rules that members cannot post swearwords.

Thanks for the swift reply! I understand wanting to keep this place as a safe non-offensive website but at what cost? It's like we're having to use code words you'd expect a teacher to use in nursery! Must not cuss, must not cuss!

For examples of using the S poop word, I could have wrote something like: The instructions were pretty s.."poop", but it was a great product, highly recommend.

Yet because that s.."poop" word was used, that comment gets deleted.

I'm not one that goes around dropping F bombs IRL or on forums, i'd much rather use better wording but saying the less "serious" swear words is totally not offensive and used regularly in daily conversation by most people. We're all adults here, if someone takes offense to someone using such non-offensive "naughty" words, then they'll take offense to anything really. It's not like people are calling each other these swear words.

HankHandsome30/07/2020 21:01

I think I've had "bugger" deleted before as it was deemed offensive. Yes, …I think I've had "bugger" deleted before as it was deemed offensive. Yes, seriously.

louiselouise30/07/2020 21:12

I made a joke about "taking the pee" (though it was asterixed) and I got …I made a joke about "taking the pee" (though it was asterixed) and I got told off - I was just pre-empting it happening, and of course, someone else made the joke, but in a way that didn't get flagged...I'd imagine posting local deals is difficult if you live in DN15...I'd asterisk the town name, but this comment would just go in the mod queue.Nastiness for the sake of it is more frustrating/annoying than over-zealous moderation of words that might offend, imo.

Yes! Exactly my point.

It's not like people are dropping F bombs and calling each other worse than dirt.

I reckon HUKD should turn on the profanity filter and let users disable it if they choose, that's how most forums have worked since the dawn of profanity filters. It'll also make the mods lives a little easier.

I've posted plenty of helpful comments and sometimes I might slip in a word on a naughty list (nothing extreme like an F bomb) when explaining why someone might not want to buy a product for example, but because it's considered a naughty word a mod will delete my entire comment. Total joke really.
PenguinsForAll30/07/2020 21:33

I've posted plenty of helpful comments and sometimes I might slip in a …I've posted plenty of helpful comments and sometimes I might slip in a word on a naughty list (nothing extreme like an F bomb) when explaining why someone might not want to buy a product for example, but because it's considered a naughty word a mod will delete my entire comment. Total joke really.

How hard is it to remember not to use the s- word?

I don't understand why you think the site would be improved if everyone got to use "primary school aged naughty words" as you put it. I've no problem with HUKD upholding a basic standard of politeness, especially in product descriptions.
PenguinsForAll30/07/2020 21:31

I reckon HUKD should turn on the profanity filter and let users disable it …I reckon HUKD should turn on the profanity filter and let users disable it if they choose, that's how most forums have worked since the dawn of profanity filters. It'll also make the mods lives a little easier.

Hold on, that's a thing? Sounds like something from the 21St century
I'm just looking back through my many telling-offs and I've actually had a post deleted for using the word "idiots".

Also, "bugger" was apparently classed as a profanity, which was used as an excuse when it was deleted.

It was in one of the glitch threads and it was written in such a way that it wasn't actually directed at anyone, but it was still, apparently, a "profanity". I even had to tell the "forum team" to stop hassling me over that one because they kept cut and pasting things at me.

And don't get me started on the deals that are binned and the ones that are allowed. I got a day's ban for arguing with the "forum team" over a BittBoy retro handheld because it was "piracy" and yet they allow deals like the Audials one a while back that is basically a piracy suite of programs.
I think the swear filter is a bit dated in my opinion. a lot of words are not acceptable, when in reality, they are very acceptable in general conversation. I feel like I am talking through a filter set up in the victorian times!

I find it annoying that the swear word no longer gets **** but the whole comment gets deleted, so you have to type the whole damn thing again.

There should at least be a dictionary list of words that are not allowed, so we don't waste time typing posts that get deleted because of one word in it, that is considered unacceptable.
Mods are born in the 2000s aka snowflakes
Sophia199331/07/2020 03:16

this comment will be deleted... im talking from experience
mtsk31/07/2020 07:50

this comment will be deleted... im talking from experience

Sophia199331/07/2020 03:16

I don't picture Dan_82 or Jason as born in 2000 or many other of the mods/editors.

I'd hazard a guest Dan is probably late 30's from the username.
myusernamehasgone23431/07/2020 07:55

I don't picture Dan_82 or Jason as born in 2000 or many other of the …I don't picture Dan_82 or Jason as born in 2000 or many other of the mods/editors.I'd hazard a guest Dan is probably late 30's from the username.

I'm not saying they are but they do remove comments with this word quite quickly,
i think its only a matter of time before this thread gets expired / closed / locked / deleted - too much option for opinion on the change of moderation over the years, im not taking the bait for a change!
Post a comment
@
    Text