Unfortunately, this discussion is no longer valid
Expired

Why do I get the message

Posted 14th Feb
message you don't have permission too save too this location contact the administrator when I am logged in as the administrator. it's on Windows 7 ultimate
3406900-Ug4v8.jpg
Community Updates
Ask
10 Comments
Open up notepad as administrator, then use the file > open option.

Make sure when you save the hosts file that there isn't a .txt extension at the end as that won't work
ander14/02/2020 18:08

Open up notepad as administrator, then use the file > open option.Make …Open up notepad as administrator, then use the file > open option.Make sure when you save the hosts file that there isn't a .txt extension at the end as that won't work

What shall I save the file name as at moment it's *.txt I just wanted too block access too a website.
It shouldn't have an extension. Just "hosts"

Also ensure the dropdown is set to "All Files" when saving
Edited by: "ander" 14th Feb
An alternate way to the way mentioned above, is to boot into Safe Mode and edit the HOSTS file and just save it.
Derek_Fortescue_Shatwell14/02/2020 18:24

An alternate way to the way mentioned above, is to boot into Safe Mode and …An alternate way to the way mentioned above, is to boot into Safe Mode and edit the HOSTS file and just save it.

Thanks guys I have saved it but the website still loads I have blocked it temporarily using the chrome browser but think that won't be for long .
What does the line look like? Should be like this:

127.0.0.1 sitetoblock.com

Make sure there's no hash at the beginning of the line
ander14/02/2020 18:53

What does the line look like? Should be like this:127.0.0.1 …What does the line look like? Should be like this:127.0.0.1 sitetoblock.comMake sure there's no hash at the beginning of the line

Yes that's how it is.
MynameisM14/02/2020 18:56

Yes that's how it is.

Could it be paybassing this as I am connecting the laptop via a proxy server/ host if that's what it's called.
Shouldn't bypass the host file. Only other thing to check is that it's a tab between the IP and website, not spaces (not sure if that'll make a difference).

Could also open up a command prompt and run "ipconfig /flushdns" then try "ping sitetoblock.com" and see what IP address comes back. Should be 127.0.0.1
Check this site might be something you missed google.com/amp…mp/
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants