why do joiners, tilers etc charge so much for homers? i just dont get it

Found 17th Feb 2016
Ok so I'm looking to have a bathroom and toilet floor to be tiled. I've been looking around to find someone willing to do it as a homer but some of the prices I've been quoted are simply ridiculous. I have all the materials so I'm purely paying for someone's labour. The average wage of a joiner in the UK is aporox £10 per hour and £12 per hour for a tiler albeit minus the tax and national insurance.

So here's the question, these people are earning this wage and are clearly quite happy to be or they wouldn't be doing the job. If any of these guys do overtime they are paid time and a half so that would be £15 per hour or £18 per hour. The area I'm looking to get covered is 2msq and 5msq but probably less as that inludes the space taken up by the bath. I have been advised that the job will take aporox 4hrs. I was quoted £240 for this to be done.

Now remember this is just for labour so £60 per hour cash in hand with no deductions of tax or insurance is downright excessive. I'm telling you, at this rate, GP's are in the wrong profession. I thought the whole idea of doing a homer was for the customer to get it a good bit cheaper and for the person doing the homer to make a we bit of money.

Jobs are being priced up without realistic consideration being given to what they would be happy to be paid per hour. Perhaps there is a tradesman out there that can answer me the question. So far nobody has been able to answer me and I believe some people are milking it. Even if it cost me say £120 I'd be quite happy to pay that. That would be equivelant to someone being paid £30 an hour cash in hand.
Community Updates
Ask
99 Comments
I am sure a trades person here will give you an answer !!!!

But you will not like it !

also there is a big difference between homers and mates rates

EliTom
Original Poster
Homers appear to be on par with firm rates which shouldn't be the case. That's the point I'm trying to make.

Would it be better to phone around and instead of asking how much for the job itself, ask them how much they charge per hour for labour?
Original Poster
We live in a world whereby people are paid more per hour than for a homer than a doctor is for saving people's lives. oO
you sir, sound like a right idiot!
Perhaps they can earn more than £120/4hrs on other jobs - hence why the price for that skillset is higher than you expected?

Could you not tile it yourself to avoid the expense?
Edited by: "davewave" 17th Feb 2016
if they do your job which you say will take 4 hours, so estimate 4-5 hours so it would take up whole day as they wouldn't have time to do any other job on that day. So sounds like you've been quoted a whole day rate which if i was in their shoes i would as do i want to take job which would only pay for part of a day or would i like a day rate.

as for rip off merchants you've obviously never had to call for an emergency plumber.
Forgive my ignorance but what is a homer? (Other than a character in the Simpsons)
£10 an hour for a joiner??? Are you serious???
elliott1982

Yep. Pay up or do it yourself. Why bother getting qualified and gaining skills (which you don't have) just to be told your charging to much.

Seems reasonable to me. Maybe look into doing it yourself if money is that tight. You might bodge but at least you'll save a few quid
If people keep pay'in then the price is stay'in!

If there were less work then the price would fall.
Ask in a Facebook page for a tiler. Or odd job man. The price you was quoted might be for 2 people who have a boss. So they might not get paid what your paying.
Banned
People also have to make a living, you cant expect them to do it for nothing!
sounds about right to me
Original Poster
Andy even if they were here for 4-5 hrs do you really think that a charge of £240 is reasonable? Seriously? Bearing in mind the person I asked to do a homer works for a firm and as I've already stated the going rate is approx £12 per hour so for 4 or 5hrs in their own workplace they would be paid around £48 or £60 minus the tax and national insurance. Even with overtime rates they would be paid aporox £18 per hour so that would be £72 or £90 minus the tax and national insurance. Do you still believe £240 is reasonable? I'm baffled.
Original Poster
elliott1982

What cos you know I'm right
well I get over £13 an hour for make milk so for someone to lay tiles for £12 is good to me
Original Poster
clellandgear1985

well I get over £13 an hour for make milk so for someone to lay tiles for … well I get over £13 an hour for make milk so for someone to lay tiles for £12 is good to me

Yeah £12,is good ain't it. I've been quoted £60 per hour not £12 lol
Original Poster
ellese11

People also have to make a living, you cant expect them to do it for … People also have to make a living, you cant expect them to do it for nothing!

Who suggested anyone doing it for nothing. I'm quite happy to pay someone who is used to being paid £10 or £12 per hour £30 per hour but not £60 per hour. Perhaps you should have read the post properly.
Edited by: "christopherguy25" 17th Feb 2016
elliott1982

not even worth discussing with thsi one

too many variables which I am sure OP woudl not accept

like does not need the work / does not want to loose valuable family time at weekend / wants a lie in / does not factor in travel costs / does not factor in customer hassle / does not factor in unseen problems ..... the list could go on

EliTom
Original Poster
andyb83

£10 an hour for a joiner??? Are you serious???

Average pay for a joiner in the UK is £10.38 per hour

payscale.com/res…ate
Banned
Keep looking around for someone to do it then? Go for smaller companies. No need to be rude, my other half has his own building firm and the amount of times they get let down or ripped off by customers is ridiculous!
Original Poster
elitom

not even worth discussing with thsi onetoo many variables which I am sure … not even worth discussing with thsi onetoo many variables which I am sure OP woudl not acceptlike does not need the work / does not want to loose valuable family time at weekend / wants a lie in / does not factor in travel costs / does not factor in customer hassle / does not factor in unseen problems ..... the list could go on EliTom

If he or she does not want the work (overtime) or wants a lie in then that's fine, just don't do it then. This would apply to overtime in any job so I'm afraid your point is invalid.
ellese11

Keep looking around for someone to do it then? Go for smaller companies. … Keep looking around for someone to do it then? Go for smaller companies. No need to be rude, my other half has his own building firm and the amount of times they get let down or ripped off by customers is ridiculous!

good point !!

maybe if OP had the same attitude with the tradesman he got the quote from, then this would also explain teh quote !!

Would I want to work for the OP ....... er ..... NO

EliTom
Original Poster
ellese11

Keep looking around for someone to do it then? Go for smaller companies. … Keep looking around for someone to do it then? Go for smaller companies. No need to be rude, my other half has his own building firm and the amount of times they get let down or ripped off by customers is ridiculous!

The only person I though was being rude was you

People also have to make a living, you cant expect them to do it for nothing!
When you speak to tradesman they'll often take it into consideration who the customer is i.e. have they bought all the tools (which might be sub standard and make the task harder etc). Will they be a busy body? Are they telling the tradesman how long it will take etc.

And of course not forgetting the good old idiot tax for the customer who knows best. I think one of these will apply to the op.
christopherguy25

If he or she does not want the work (overtime) or wants a lie in then … If he or she does not want the work (overtime) or wants a lie in then that's fine, just don't do it then. This would apply to overtime in any job so I'm afraid your point is invalid.

no my point in not invalid ...... everyone has their price (not necessarily fixed) ........ think about it

EliTom
Original Poster
ellese11

You're missing the point here completely. I'm not asking a company to to the job I'm asking someone who works for a company to do a homer
ipswich78

When you speak to tradesman they'll often take it into consideration who … When you speak to tradesman they'll often take it into consideration who the customer is i.e. have they bought all the tools (which might be sub standard and make the task harder etc). Will they be a busy body? Are they telling the tradesman how long it will take etc. And of course not forgetting the good old idiot tax for the customer who knows best. I think one of these will apply to the op.

BINGO ipswich

EliTom
Original Poster
I ask a genuine question and get shot down. I'm still waiting for a justifiable answer as to why someone would charge £240 labour for 4hrs work.
christopherguy25

You're missing the point here completely. I'm not asking a company to to … You're missing the point here completely. I'm not asking a company to to the job I'm asking someone who works for a company to do a homer

Then why do you keep referring to what a joiner employed by a company earns per hour? It is irrelevant.

The joiner can price his/her time at whatever amount they like when doing jobs outside of work.
Edited by: "RossD89" 17th Feb 2016
christopherguy25

I ask a genuine question and get shot down. I'm still waiting for a … I ask a genuine question and get shot down. I'm still waiting for a justifiable answer as to why someone would charge £240 labour for 4hrs work.

let me spell it out in simple terms for you !!!

at £240, in joiner / tiler's view - it is worth his while

at what youi are suggesting - maybe £120 it is not worth his while ....

that is the joiner / tiler's call - not yours !

You can take it or leave it and so can they ......

EliTom
Banned
RossD89

Then why do you keep referring to what a joiner employed by a company … Then why do you keep referring to what a joiner employed by a company earns per hour? It is irrelevant.The joiner can price his/her time at whatever amount they like when doing jobs outside of work.

He doesnt like what anyone says just let him argue with himself
Original Poster
ipswich78

When you speak to tradesman they'll often take it into consideration who … When you speak to tradesman they'll often take it into consideration who the customer is i.e. have they bought all the tools (which might be sub standard and make the task harder etc). Will they be a busy body? Are they telling the tradesman how long it will take etc. And of course not forgetting the good old idiot tax for the customer who knows best. I think one of these will apply to the op.

I have bought all the tools etc which the tiler told me was the best grout and adhesive to use so point invalid.

I'm not a busy body and he told me how long the job would take so point invalid.

Idiot tax did not apply as I'm certainly not an idiot. I never claimed I knew best but I do know when charges are excessive so your point in invalid.
Original Poster
I asked a simple question. People got upset. I'm not here to argue. I'm trying to make a point which up until now nobody has fully been able to understand. Only wanted to know why tilers are paid more than GP's.
I don't know any joiner that would get out their bed for £10-12 per hour, if they are they are on that money for a reason
elitom

let me spell it out in simple terms for you !!!at £240, in joiner / … let me spell it out in simple terms for you !!!at £240, in joiner / tiler's view - it is worth his while at what youi are suggesting - maybe £120 it is not worth his while ....that is the joiner / tiler's call - not yours !You can take it or leave it and so can they ......EliTom

If you dont like the price ask someone else. Seems reasonable to me

How much would it be to get firm in to do it. Alot more i assume
christopherguy25

I have bought all the tools etc which the tiler told me was the best … I have bought all the tools etc which the tiler told me was the best grout and adhesive to use so point invalid.I'm not a busy body and he told me how long the job would take so point invalid. Idiot tax did not apply as I'm certainly not an idiot. I never claimed I knew best but I do know when charges are excessive so your point in invalid.

Are you really failing to understand this? It's supply and demand, If you are getting regularly quoted a similar sum for a job has it actually occurred to you that is what it will cost?

Just because one tiler has said it would take them four hours doesn't make it factual for every other tiler.

There's no justification required why one trade earns xxx against another trade - they're simply not comparable. In my line of work I have achieved a reasonable level of success and earnings, however compared to other trades I can earn more or less. Now could I do their job? No. Is their skill in demand? Possible, all factors which will have an affect on the overall pricing structure.
Do you think the amount of posts you put here is correlated to the reduction in price for the work?

The price, in this case, is what it is (unless you can haggle).

You have 4 options;
- pay what the person feels is reasonable for the job
- look for other quotes
- do it yourself
- don't do anything

maybe the the person does not want/need the job christopherguy25 needs done and is pricing himself high so that he does not have to undertake the work
Edited by: "Infractionboi" 17th Feb 2016
christopherguy25

Average pay for a joiner in the UK is £10.38 per hour … Average pay for a joiner in the UK is £10.38 per hour http://www.payscale.com/research/UK/Job=Joiner/Hourly_Rate

Lol, pretty sure that doesnt take into account cash jobs.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions