Expired

why do people buy blocked phones?

Found 2nd Jun 2012
which ever phone I look on ebay for, about more than quarter of them are described as no signal, no service, blocked, barred etc..

why do people wish to buy them if they cant even use it for the purpose of what a phone is made for?

26 Comments

belive it or not if you send these blocked/barred phones to apple they will send you one that works+ these phones still work on foreign networks. These iphones that are network barred are phones that have been reported stolen or have not paid there bills.

Edited by: "BigBuds" 2nd Jun 2012

BigBuds

belive it or not if you send these blocked/barred phones to apple they … belive it or not if you send these blocked/barred phones to apple they will send you one that works.

You got to be kidding..

Original Poster

BigBuds

belive it or not if you send these blocked/barred phones to apple they … belive it or not if you send these blocked/barred phones to apple they will send you one that works.also these phones still work on foreign networks

ive heard about that. but they dont replace blocked ones. some iphones just have a fault where it gets no service which is replaced. or I may have heard wrong? why would apple replace a stolen/lost phone?

yeah but how many people would buy a phone to use in other countries for nearly the same price as they can get a working one for/

Ask Orca (_;)

Original Poster

calum c

Ask Orca (_;)

erm.. i dont think he/she will know :L

http://www.statesymbolsusa.org/IMAGES/Washington/orca_seaworld-380.jpg

JaYy_dOg

ive heard about that. but they dont replace blocked ones. some iphones … ive heard about that. but they dont replace blocked ones. some iphones just have a fault where it gets no service which is replaced. or I may have heard wrong? why would apple replace a stolen/lost phone?yeah but how many people would buy a phone to use in other countries for nearly the same price as they can get a working one for/

I can say from experiance that they do exchange phones that are network barred. You fill out the return stating that you can't get a signal.
Edited by: "BigBuds" 2nd Jun 2012

Original Poster

BigBuds

I can say from experiance that they do exchange phones that are network … I can say from experiance that they do exchange phones that are network barred.

so you have done that yourself?

Yes 100% i had an iphone 4 that i lost and got it barred , i later found it and it couldn't be activated again so sent it to apple and they sent me a new one. I also did it for my girlfriend who bought one off ebay that got locked as the seller didn't pay his bill.

Plus i'm sure if they get blacklisted now, they don't work in the EU. Most EU carriers sign up to an International blacklist sort of thing.

BigBuds

Yes 100% i had an iphone 4 that i lost and got it barred , i later found … Yes 100% i had an iphone 4 that i lost and got it barred , i later found it and it couldn't be activated again so sent it to apple and they sent me a new one. I also did it for my girlfriend who bought one off ebay that got locked as the seller didn't pay his bill.

Give me my phone back!

Banned

BigBuds

Yes 100% i had an iphone 4 that i lost and got it barred , i later found … Yes 100% i had an iphone 4 that i lost and got it barred , i later found it and it couldn't be activated again so sent it to apple and they sent me a new one. I also did it for my girlfriend who bought one off ebay that got locked as the seller didn't pay his bill.

Surely there is more to the story than that? Surely they need info from your operator & phone insurance supplier? If I was to walk in with a stolen iPhone 4 they wouldn't just hand me another one surely???

Why does eBay let people sell stolen phones?

h4mza

Why does eBay let people sell stolen phones?

They probably wouldn't if they put 'stolen' in the listing.
They can't stop people selling blocked phones just because some of them may be stolen. I'm sure there are legitimate reasons why a phone might be blocked.

ODB_69

Surely there is more to the story than that? Surely they need info from … Surely there is more to the story than that? Surely they need info from your operator & phone insurance supplier? If I was to walk in with a stolen iPhone 4 they wouldn't just hand me another one surely???

You do it online, you say it has signal issues. They sent you a box, you post it off, they send you a new one.

It does work, there isn't more to the story than that.

Banned

So you just need AppleCare for this then surely? You could t do it with a 2 year old phone with no proof surely?!?

it realy is as easy as greenmachine says.

ODB_69

So you just need AppleCare for this then surely? You could t do it with a … So you just need AppleCare for this then surely? You could t do it with a 2 year old phone with no proof surely?!?

not sure on timescale for this.

Blocked phones in this country work abroad, India etc. if you look on eBay there are sellers offering to make blocked phones work again. They do this in two ways, firstly they can change the imei, number, this is illegal. However in some cases some android handsets imei changed when unlocking the phone or using a certain app to a 0044 imei which are blocked, this can be changed back to the original imei which isnt bloked and isn't illegal. The second wy is to swap a uk blocked handset with one blocked in another country.

Banned

I don't get this. So even if it's say a 3 year old phone you just say signal issues and get away with it??? Surely it's a 1 year warranty though?? Don't get this at all, they must be checking??

daindian

Blocked phones in this country work abroad, India etc. if you look on … Blocked phones in this country work abroad, India etc. if you look on eBay there are sellers offering to make blocked phones work again. They do this in two ways, firstly they can change the imei, number, this is illegal. However in some cases some android handsets imei changed when unlocking the phone or using a certain app to a 0044 imei which are blocked, this can be changed back to the original imei which isnt bloked and isn't illegal. The second wy is to swap a uk blocked handset with one blocked in another country.

Most companies on ebay who claim to be able to remove the network block and send a different phone use the free service i have mentioned and charge you for the service.

Its wrong to think of smartphones as phones first and foremost, its a flag of convenience due to their origins, they are flexible mini-computers and inferior to a cheap, small little Nokia for phone calls and texting on the move.

Edited by: "Ennui" 3rd Jun 2012

The same old OP wanting to find out how to scam apple with a blocked iphone.
It's so obvious that I'm surprised you have not been banned on here for selling/trading, but give it time & you will.

Does no one else see that the OP is as good as asking for Tips on how to get apple to replace blocked/stolen phones :-/

hotukdeals.com/mis…819
Edited by: "WheresMeNuts" 3rd Jun 2012

Tbh, some are legit. For example, my Galaxy S became blocked, because, I used an android app to unlock it. The app changed my imei number, to a 0044 generic one, which was blocked. I had to delete the android operating system off the phone, thus breaking the bootloder, just to get it fixed for free, by carphone warehouse. However I think there was a case a few months back on hukd or mse, where somebody's iPhone got stolen, and the thief got it replaced by apple, even though it was blocked. In the end I think the police got involved

ODB_69

I don't get this. So even if it's say a 3 year old phone you just say … I don't get this. So even if it's say a 3 year old phone you just say signal issues and get away with it??? Surely it's a 1 year warranty though?? Don't get this at all, they must be checking??

No you can't to it with a 3 year old phone.

They don't check it at all, the turn around is like any normal broke phone.

Basically you need an iPhone in the years warranty, do it all online and you will get a new phone within a few days.

Stupid yes, but it does work, and they don't check.

Original Poster

WheresMeNuts

The same old OP wanting to find out how to scam apple with a blocked … The same old OP wanting to find out how to scam apple with a blocked iphone.It's so obvious that I'm surprised you have not been banned on here for selling/trading, but give it time & you will.Does no one else see that the OP is as good as asking for Tips on how to get apple to replace blocked/stolen phones :-/http://www.hotukdeals.com/misc/how-can-restore-a-iphone-3gs-1159819

Oh shut up!

I have proof that I owned that phone. It was my brothers first iphone which he bought using his university apple discount on October 28th in 2009 I think. I still have that iphone which is still in the same condition as it was told in that thread.

Now get a life and stop commenting in my threads.

JaYy_dOg

Oh shut up!I have proof that I owned that phone. It was my brothers first … Oh shut up!I have proof that I owned that phone. It was my brothers first iphone which he bought using his university apple discount on October 28th in 2009 I think. I still have that iphone which is still in the same condition as it was told in that thread.Now get a life and stop commenting in my threads.

Proof my big fat smelly Erse.
You seem to still be buying,selling & fixing phones & I thought that sort of suspicions stuff was not allowed on HUKD's,but only a matter of time before you slip-up.
Remember you can only get away with saying "That's not the same item I sent the buyer" once & so now your excuses/lies have ran out.

Be thankful a poor Mod was dealing with that thread/sale.

Sorry, commenting is no longer available on this discussion.

Top Discussions