Why do people find it acceptable to call others 'chav'?

41 replies
Found 18th Nov 2009
Is it really ok in this day and age to categorize people by your own perceptions, to me it just harks back to the ignorant days of people calling others a spaz, spastic etc and I would go as far as to say other names that people have used in the past. Me personally I dont think it is neccesary and hearing and reading it is getting on my pips. I got called speccy four eyes at school for wearing glasses and although that may be mild it still hurt, its not nice to call people names and I wish it would stop. Now Im off to polish my rose tinted spectacles.

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
40 Comments

Banned

I think its because of their image... violence etc.. dont think you can compare it to four eyes and spaz.

I do like the word chavette though.

Banned

I just pity their lack of imagination.

Banned

rumblefish;6931896

I think its because of their image... violence etc.. dont think you can … I think its because of their image... violence etc.. dont think you can compare it to four eyes and spaz.I do like the word chavette though.

With their bleach blonde hair and fake tan:oops:

Original Poster

rumblefish;6931896

I think its because of their image... violence etc.. dont think you can … I think its because of their image... violence etc.. dont think you can compare it to four eyes and spaz.I do like the word chavette though.

yes you can compare it, it is name calling, ignorant and rude, there is no need for it

so anyone who is violent 'and that' is a chav, whats wrong with saying they are violent

Original Poster

FilthAndFurry;6931912

shame on you ff

Banned

FilthAndFurry;6931912

HaHa.. did you get that image from my avi? Maybe ill call her that from now on. It suits the bill.

Banned

michelleleemoo;6931920

yes you can compare it, it is name calling, ignorant and rude, there is … yes you can compare it, it is name calling, ignorant and rude, there is no need for it

ok, thats just your opinion. i dont think it is the same atall.

Tell gordon brown?

michelleleemoo;6931920

yes you can compare it, it is name calling, ignorant and rude, there is … yes you can compare it, it is name calling, ignorant and rude, there is no need for itso anyone who is violent 'and that' is a chav, whats wrong with saying they are violent

name callers probably associate with it more I reckon :roll:

gorgeous moo xx

Its difficult, I call people chavs more by their actions and have heard chavs call people they dont like chavs its funny!

I think the difference is that unlike things like four eyes chav is mainly down to peoples actions like I say rather than calling someone four eyes because they have glasses which is nothing but appearance.

any name calling is inappropriate unless it is the expression of close friendship/tie, a bonding xx

Banned

ryouga;6931962

Its difficult, I call people chavs more by their actions and have heard … Its difficult, I call people chavs more by their actions and have heard chavs call people they dont like chavs its funny!I think the difference is that unlike things like four eyes chav is mainly down to peoples actions like I say rather than calling someone four eyes because they have glasses which is nothing but appearance.

i Agree

Original Poster

rumblefish;6931949

ok, thats just your opinion. i dont think it is the same atall.Tell … ok, thats just your opinion. i dont think it is the same atall.Tell gordon brown?

well articulated there

choc1969;6931957

name callers probably associate with it more I reckon :roll:gorgeous moo … name callers probably associate with it more I reckon :roll:gorgeous moo xx

Thanks choc, you are right.
kisses

I think its absolutely disgraceful, unless they are a chav.

Original Poster

ryouga;6931962

Its difficult, I call people chavs more by their actions and have heard … Its difficult, I call people chavs more by their actions and have heard chavs call people they dont like chavs its funny!I think the difference is that unlike things like four eyes chav is mainly down to peoples actions like I say rather than calling someone four eyes because they have glasses which is nothing but appearance.

You just sound like you are trying to justify calling someone it to me, there is none. see below

my using the 'eyes' example was just to highlight how although some think its ok, its mild, others dont and its not acceptable

ClarityofMind;6931973

any name calling is inappropriate unless it is the expression of close … any name calling is inappropriate unless it is the expression of close friendship/tie, a bonding xx

oh dear, mootiful.........who has riled you this evening??? x

michelleleemoo;6932032

You just sound like you are trying to justify calling someone it to me, … You just sound like you are trying to justify calling someone it to me, there is none. see below

Confused has someone called you a chav or something that I havent noticed?

I got called a greebo by a bunch of tacky tracksuited hooded people today

& wtf is a greebo

(((ROBBO)));6932075

I got called a greebo by a bunch of tacky tracksuited hooded people … I got called a greebo by a bunch of tacky tracksuited hooded people today& wtf is a greebo

You like rock music? xx

Original Poster

dcx_badass;6931988

I think you should go on Jeremy Kyle and ask.

Why would I,he is a patronising and condescending and not someone I would like to have a conversation with because of that.

Goonieman;6932030

I think its absolutely disgraceful, unless they are a chav.

so here's a question for you, are names like lemon and queer ok to use? isnt that the same thing, grouping a section of society and putting them under an umbrella that has a derogatory name

(((ROBBO)));6932075

I got called a greebo by a bunch of tacky tracksuited hooded people … I got called a greebo by a bunch of tacky tracksuited hooded people today& wtf is a greebo

A greebo is a person who listens to rock/punk/metal music and doesn't follow fashion trends.

ClarityofMind;6932095

You like rock music? xx

Not really tbh.

Banned

The opening title was Why do people find it acceptable to call others 'chav'? That is a question.

Then when people respond with their point of view in your eyes they are still wrong. so why even bother asking if you already have the answer?

ryouga;6932098

A greebo is a person who listens to rock/punk/metal music and doesn't … A greebo is a person who listens to rock/punk/metal music and doesn't follow fashion trends.

Not really me then

(((ROBBO)));6932129

Not really tbh.

I guess they were just being officious xxx

(((ROBBO)));6932075

Greebo! Now theres a term i haven't been called..ahem i mean heard for 20 years!

Original Poster

bitseylango;6932069

oh dear, mootiful.........who has riled you this evening??? x

oooh im liking mootiful, but please dont categorize me :p:p

you know what its just a silly thing like I was reading a stella glass deal thread and someone said chavvy, it just got me thinking how much i see and hear it and i dont like it

ryouga;6932070

Confused has someone called you a chav or something that I havent noticed?

no and if they had why would you notice :?

im just fed up with people thinking they can call others it and it goes unnoticed

michelleleemoo;6932096

Why would I,he is a patronising and condescending and not someone I would … Why would I,he is a patronising and condescending and not someone I would like to have a conversation with because of that.so here's a question for you, are names like lemon and queer ok to use? isnt that the same thing, grouping a section of society and putting them under an umbrella that has a derogatory name

The situation is difficult as you will end up offending one or the other so isnt it almost as bad to keep quiet and conform and say nothing.

The difference between a lot of examples you are saying is they are intended to offend people and thats it, whereas chav is often used to talk about people who act negatively.

It depends on the context it is used in as often chav is used to describe say someone from the lower classes who likes to say drink beer and be loud and doesnt wear the latest trends which I believe is wrong.

hate that word ....

Original Poster

rumblefish;6932135

The opening title was Why do people find it acceptable to call others … The opening title was Why do people find it acceptable to call others 'chav'? That is a question.Then when people respond with their point of view in your eyes they are still wrong. so why even bother asking if you already have the answer?

you know what we have clashed a bit before now so i am just going to gracefully pass on commenting directly towards you :thumbsup:

Goonieman;6932142

Greebo! Now theres a term i haven't been called..ahem i mean heard for 20 … Greebo! Now theres a term i haven't been called..ahem i mean heard for 20 years!

Never heard off it so you have one on me

Banned

michelleleemoo;6932180

you know what we have clashed a bit before now so i am just going to … you know what we have clashed a bit before now so i am just going to gracefully pass on commenting directly towards you :thumbsup:

Nice response. Didnt answer my question but maybe i was correct.

Im not out to argue for the record. Just what i had observed.

Original Poster

rumblefish;6932214

Nice response. Didnt answer my question but maybe i was correct.Im not … Nice response. Didnt answer my question but maybe i was correct.Im not out to argue for the record. Just what i had observed.

if you think it is acceptable then you are obviously correct :thumbsup:

[COLOR="Red"]C[/COLOR]ouncil [COLOR="red"]H[/COLOR]ouse [COLOR="red"]A[/COLOR]nd [COLOR="red"]V[/COLOR]iolent

Banned

michelleleemoo;6932249

if you think it is acceptable then you are obviously correct :thumbsup:

I dont follow.

I was referring to being 'correct' about you asking a question and not willing to take other points of view. So why that makes me correct about it being 'acceptable' (for the record i didnt even say that) for people to be called a chav i really have no clue.

Banned

humans by nature dream up alternative names for others, lofty, slim, beefy , where do you draw the line between ok and hurtful? Also being called four eyes is not too bad, imagine being at school and having a stammer -then you would feel the full force of being singled out

Original Poster

dcx_badass;6932277

?

not me :-D

rumblefish;6932303

I dont follow.I was referring to being 'correct' about you asking a … I dont follow.I was referring to being 'correct' about you asking a question and not willing to take other points of view. So why that makes me correct about it being 'acceptable' (for the record i didnt even say that) for people to be called a chav i really have no clue.

nowhere here have i not accepted others opinions, i think you have got it slightly confused

Banned

michelleleemoo;6932351

not me :-Dnowhere here have i not accepted others opinions, i think you … not me :-Dnowhere here have i not accepted others opinions, i think you have got it slightly confused

I think you are a slightly confused individual yourself to be quite frank.

Original Poster

rumblefish;6932384

I think you are a slightly confused individual yourself to be quite frank.

ok

Chav's a great word! And its always the people that are offended to be called chavs that dress in tracky pants tucked in their socks with rockports.

At the end of the day its all just words. Not really hurting anyone. Shrug it off and have a cuppa!

Banned

Chav is allowed in the newspaper's.

I am sure the other word's are not allowed.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Smacking children is to be banned in Scotland1845
    2. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7769322
    3. Without giving away your age, name three things that remind you of when you…2552
    4. So Flubit is still terrible. What happened?!1112

See more discussions