Why do people scam on Gumtree?

Found 21st Aug 2017
So for 2nd time I think I've been conned on Gumtree with me buying something only for someone to not post the item. PayPal always issues a refund so why do these people try this scam if they don't actually get any money from it?

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
8 Comments

Not everyone is smart enough to realise this most likely.

Because for every 5 people who pay via PayPal you'll have 1 person paying via bank transfer.
If 1 in those 5 who paid via PayPal don't claim then they have a 1/3rd success rate.

If they are scamming dozens of people a day even at £10 items they can be earning enough to make it worth while.

Just because Paypal have given you the money back it doesn't mean they have managed to get the money back from the scammer so basically it's PP who is out of pocket

I listed an iPhone got msgs saying they will pay me through bank transfer with extra £50 if I can send it.
There are so many scams on gumtree.
Just sell locally cash. Never bank transfer or PayPal.

Mihir951 h, 15 m ago

I listed an iPhone got msgs saying they will pay me through bank transfer …I listed an iPhone got msgs saying they will pay me through bank transfer with extra £50 if I can send it.There are so many scams on gumtree.Just sell locally cash. Never bank transfer or PayPal.

You'd be mad not to take a bank transfer
scam the scammer

peanuted5 h, 44 m ago

You'd be mad not to take a bank transfer scam the scammer

Nah you never know what they do. About 4 people said bank transfer I said no strictly. After they never msg.

If someone puts money in your bank account it's very difficult to claim it back.

Original Poster

Unless they are paying using a stolen bank account details peanut?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions