Why do people vote cold on good deals?

Found 20th Dec 2017Edited by:"fulabeer"
Hi. I've been around this site for a good few years and i have to thank a fair few people for putting me onto some cracking deals. This is their time they are giving up to post these deals so should be respected and thanked.

Yet i have nearly missed out on a few due to low heat ratings.
When i've actually clicked the deal any way, some deals have been brilliant yet some people have voted it down.

The main problem seems to be if the deal just doesn't suit them or they don't like that product or brand.
For example "bought last week, so no use to me now" "Voted cold because who in their right mind spends two grand on a TV" "Not 4K" when talking about a kettle! (well the last one does just seem a running joke)

Basically, a good deal is a good deal. Just because it doesn't suit you at that time or your financial situation, or fit your exact requirements shouldn't come into it. If the same deal can be found cheaper elsewhere, then fair enough.
I think maybe the moderators need to crack down on the posters who are constantly niggling peoples deals, and just basically being anti social.

I know it puts me off even thinking of posting some of the things i come across. It is just not worth the effort for others to snipe it down for no good reason.
Community Updates
Misc
Top comments
I'm afraid you have missed the vast majority of the votes - The Sheep vote . This vote accounts for about 80% of all the voting on this site and in general the "Sheep " haven't a clue of what they are voting for or why hot or cold.

A guide to sheep voting:
"Hot" :-
If a MOD posts it .
If its a cream bun.
If folks have already voted it hot.
If your pals think its a good deal.
If you think your pals will think it a good deal.
At this time of year - if it has Deer in the title .
If its a game deal 1p cheaper than the last time it was posted .
If its a PCP or PCH deal with the picture of a shiny new car .

"Cold"
If its already cold (follow the flock).
If its Sports Direct.
If your pals think its a poor deal.
If you think your pals will think its a poor deal.
If its a golf deal .

Having voted by the above rules a Sheep must never leave a comment to justify their vote (as they don't really know the reason themselves)
They just do. There are serial cold voters who just can't help themselves. Just forget about it.
Highly dependent on who posts.

You won't miss any deals if you sort by new and come on once or twice a day.
38 Comments
deleted793389
People who contribute nothing seem to enjoy down-voting and giving their uninformed opinion on things they don't own or maybe can't afford?
It'll never happen, but it would be nice if you could only down-vote or comment after you had contributed at least one deal to the site.
I’ve noticed the same. Some must make judgement based on the company, make of product, and personal preference. Surely they shouldn’t matter and should be all about the best price the item is on offer
Edited by: "pricesavvy" 20th Dec 2017
They just do. There are serial cold voters who just can't help themselves. Just forget about it.
Contagion Theory

Gustave Le Bon, a French social psychologist born in 1841, is considered to be the founder of crowd psychology, which explains why people do the things they do in groups. Le Bon's 1895 book, The Crowd: A Study of the Popular Mind, attributed crowd behavior to the 'collective racial unconscious' of the mob overtaking individuals' sense of self and personality and personal responsibility.

According to Le Bon, relieved of individual responsibility, individuals will behave in a more primal fashion. He asserts, 'by the mere fact that he forms part of an organized crowd, a man descends several rungs on the ladder of civilization.' A modern comparison might be the teenager who argues that his own actions of toilet papering the principal's house weren't so bad because everybody else was doing it too.

In his book, Le Bon also formulated the contagion theory, which argues that crowds cause people to act in a certain way. The theory suggests that crowds exert a sort of hypnotic influence on their members. The hypnotic influence combined with the anonymity of belonging to a large group of people, even just for that moment, results in irrational, emotionally charged behavior. Or, as the name implies, the frenzy of the crowd is somehow contagious, like a disease, and the contagion feeds upon itself, growing with time. In the end, the crowd has assumed a life of its own, stirring up emotions and driving people toward irrational, even violent action.

The 18th-century French Revolution is an example of how contagion theory can be used to explain crowd behavior. Exacerbated by hard economic times, famine, and resentment of the ruling class, crowds of peasants, farmers, and workers stormed the Bastille on July 14, 1789, with the intention of obtaining guns and killing the ruling class, including King Louis XVI.
You should be able to see names of those who voted (hot or cold).
Uranus20th Dec 2017

why?
I'm afraid you have missed the vast majority of the votes - The Sheep vote . This vote accounts for about 80% of all the voting on this site and in general the "Sheep " haven't a clue of what they are voting for or why hot or cold.

A guide to sheep voting:
"Hot" :-
If a MOD posts it .
If its a cream bun.
If folks have already voted it hot.
If your pals think its a good deal.
If you think your pals will think it a good deal.
At this time of year - if it has Deer in the title .
If its a game deal 1p cheaper than the last time it was posted .
If its a PCP or PCH deal with the picture of a shiny new car .

"Cold"
If its already cold (follow the flock).
If its Sports Direct.
If your pals think its a poor deal.
If you think your pals will think its a poor deal.
If its a golf deal .

Having voted by the above rules a Sheep must never leave a comment to justify their vote (as they don't really know the reason themselves)
rogparki4 m ago

I'm afraid you have missed the vast majority of the votes - The Sheep vote …I'm afraid you have missed the vast majority of the votes - The Sheep vote . This vote accounts for about 80% of all the voting on this site and in general the "Sheep " haven't a clue of what they are voting for or why hot or cold. A guide to sheep voting:"Hot" :- If a MOD posts it . If its a cream bun. If folks have already voted it hot. If your pals think its a good deal. If you think your pals will think it a good deal. At this time of year - if it has Deer in the title . If its a game deal 1p cheaper than the last time it was posted . If its a PCP or PCH deal with the picture of a shiny new car ."Cold" If its already cold (follow the flock). If its Sports Direct. If your pals think its a poor deal. If you think your pals will think its a poor deal. If its a golf deal .Having voted by the above rules a Sheep must never leave a comment to justify their vote (as they don't really know the reason themselves)

You missed lingerie deals (so long as they contain photos) from your 'hot list'
Uranus20th Dec 2017

You missed lingerie deals (so long as they contain photos) from your 'hot …You missed lingerie deals (so long as they contain photos) from your 'hot list'

I thought about that - but I've noticed when some prudish Ewes get to it first and get the cold vote going the rest of the Sheep follow and increase the cold vote.
Highly dependent on who posts.

You won't miss any deals if you sort by new and come on once or twice a day.
I hate the wild goose chase deals that always end up super hot when you know its the clearance of one particular store
Easy answer is to filter deals by new not heat. That way you can make your own mind up. Heat can be very subjective
rogparki44 m ago

I'm afraid you have missed the vast majority of the votes - The Sheep vote …I'm afraid you have missed the vast majority of the votes - The Sheep vote . This vote accounts for about 80% of all the voting on this site and in general the "Sheep " haven't a clue of what they are voting for or why hot or cold. A guide to sheep voting:"Hot" :- If a MOD posts it . If its a cream bun. If folks have already voted it hot. If your pals think its a good deal. If you think your pals will think it a good deal. At this time of year - if it has Deer in the title . If its a game deal 1p cheaper than the last time it was posted . If its a PCP or PCH deal with the picture of a shiny new car ."Cold" If its already cold (follow the flock). If its Sports Direct. If your pals think its a poor deal. If you think your pals will think its a poor deal. If its a golf deal .Having voted by the above rules a Sheep must never leave a comment to justify their vote (as they don't really know the reason themselves)

That would imply people have dicussions before voting. I highly doubt that.
deleted690348
It hasn't been mentioned that some members of this website vote down because they think the poster has shared too many deals within a short space of time.

"eerrhhhhh why are you posting so many deals!!!"

"You don't have to post up the whole website!!"

"You're just doing it for the heat!!!!!!!!!!"
Some people just live in a different world, they might vote a £2k TV cold as £2k is a lot of money and the TVs at £250 are perfectly adequate. There are (supposedly) 1.57 million users of the site and if just 1% don't understand what they are supposed to be voting for, then you have nearly 16,000 people voting wrongly.
rogparki54 m ago

the first one on hot has started to become a joke so many paid for ads now its unbelievable not the old style finding deals but companies have to be paying for them. And of course they have also started their own plusnet offerings, which are unique to them even though they wont admit it. Other UK sites have started to add sponsored next to the adverts that aren't clear adverts I think after advertising guidance.

Someone had a go at me the other day for suggesting that a plusnet deal was an advert as it was only posted by an editor, had a right go and again when I replied, then I shared the site map of workers and got no reply back, people just don't know how the site "works" long gone are the community days
Why?

Because Nintendo Switch is overpriced. ..o
@fulabeer

"...Basically, a good deal is a good deal. Just because it doesn't suit you at that time or your financial situation, or fit your exact requirements shouldn't come into it. If the same deal can be found cheaper elsewhere, then fair enough.
I think maybe the moderators need to crack down on the posters who are constantly niggling peoples deals, and just basically being anti social..."

Copy'n'pasted from various other "cold voting" threads/discussions...

The best "Deal" is a subjective* view of anything to do with the product thread (such as the merchant's past history, the non-guaranteed cashback, the colour/dimensions of the item, any comparative products, the day of the week, whether the member voting had run out of butter for their morning toast, or anything else connected/unconnected with the "Deal"), apparently.

(* Not everybody is you, hence why voting differs)

A previous thread of note...

"Can we please have the rules/guidelines on Voting made more clear??" (although the thread has been relocated/removed with the recent site redesign)

Specifically, comment #56...

--- @juliet_bravo - Aug 23, 2010 14:42 ---

Taken from the original help & advice panel-

"If you are cold voting a deal, it is good forum etiquette to post a note in the deal as to why you have done so. There is nothing more confusing to a new member, than to post a deal, only to see it go cold with no explanation. If you found the item cheaper elsewhere, please let us know where and how. If you have no interest or knowledge about the deal at all, please don’t vote cold, just move on.

HUKD has systems in place to detect serial cold voters, and it may lead to a ban from the forums, as it is against the code of conduct.
"

If members feel an apple product, for example, is comparable with another item and they do not think the apple represents good value, then of course they should state that within the thread. However we cannot be too strict with regards to forcing members to justify their votes. It will be detrimental to how the site works and the organic nature in which "hot" deals are voted as such.

---

Also, "Cold Voting", & the ironically-titled "EXPIRED - Can you get banned for voting cold too often?" (created by a member that is now banned). Unfortunately, this last link no longers works with the redesigned site either.

There used to be a whole lifetime's worth of discussion(s) on the subject, but the following "tags" were removed some time ago:

[ hotukdeals.com/tag…ing ]
[ hotukdeals.com/tag…old ]
[ hotukdeals.com/tag…ead ]
Because it's Apple or Duracell or Beats
Uranus20th Dec 2017

So that if somebody votes negatively on one of your threads, you can retaliate on their next listing.

Err... no.
rogparki52 m ago

I thought about that - but I've noticed when some prudish Ewes get to it …I thought about that - but I've noticed when some prudish Ewes get to it first and get the cold vote going the rest of the Sheep follow and increase the cold vote.

Sheep in lingerie? Would that be male sheep or female sheep? It will affect my voting.
It's in the site owners interest to encourage more deal posters. They are the sites life blood.
All it needs is a little more direction/reminders from the owners/moderators to urge people to be respectful and courteous at all times.

One thing is voting cold, but the "thread spoilers" like to then gloat by posting they have done so with almost hateful reasons.
I just think it's wrong that posters end up having to defend their deals (good or bad), when they have only tried to help others. Ie "this is not a good deal OP due to cheaper "here", but thanks any way" etc.

As it stand, since there is no financial reward to post deals, i have no idea why any would want to. (unless they are secret traders linking to their shops of course)
fanpages7 m ago

So that if somebody votes negatively on one of your threads, you can …So that if somebody votes negatively on one of your threads, you can retaliate on their next listing.Err... no.

Why not?
Fairs fair
Paul Nikkel must be rubbing his hands together, he has you lot worried about increasing his click- throughs. Yes it's great to get a deal but also consider yourself a worker bee. 🐝
fulabeer7 m ago

It's in the site owners interest to encourage more deal posters. They are …It's in the site owners interest to encourage more deal posters. They are the sites life blood.All it needs is a little more direction/reminders from the owners/moderators to urge people to be respectful and courteous at all times.One thing is voting cold, but the "thread spoilers" like to then gloat by posting they have done so with almost hateful reasons. I just think it's wrong that posters end up having to defend their deals (good or bad), when they have only tried to help others. Ie "this is not a good deal OP due to cheaper "here", but thanks any way" etc.As it stand, since there is no financial reward to post deals, i have no idea why any would want to. (unless they are secret traders linking to their shops of course)

Post a "Deal" & ignore the temperature.

If it helps anybody, it's a bonus.
If it helps nobody, who cares?

Problem solved.
I think if you post at the wrong time of night, you don't get a mixed opinion as most people have logged off. Night hukders seem to be more moany and vote cold quickly.
jeffsmaw10 m ago

I think if you post at the wrong time of night, you don't get a mixed …I think if you post at the wrong time of night, you don't get a mixed opinion as most people have logged off. Night hukders seem to be more moany and vote cold quickly.

Moaning hukkers.
davewave4 h, 24 m ago

Contagion TheoryGustave Le Bon, a French social psychologist born in 1841, …Contagion TheoryGustave Le Bon, a French social psychologist born in 1841, is considered to be the founder of crowd psychology, which explains why people do the things they do in groups. Le Bon's 1895 book, The Crowd: A Study of the Popular Mind, attributed crowd behavior to the 'collective racial unconscious' of the mob overtaking individuals' sense of self and personality and personal responsibility.According to Le Bon, relieved of individual responsibility, individuals will behave in a more primal fashion. He asserts, 'by the mere fact that he forms part of an organized crowd, a man descends several rungs on the ladder of civilization.' A modern comparison might be the teenager who argues that his own actions of toilet papering the principal's house weren't so bad because everybody else was doing it too.In his book, Le Bon also formulated the contagion theory, which argues that crowds cause people to act in a certain way. The theory suggests that crowds exert a sort of hypnotic influence on their members. The hypnotic influence combined with the anonymity of belonging to a large group of people, even just for that moment, results in irrational, emotionally charged behavior. Or, as the name implies, the frenzy of the crowd is somehow contagious, like a disease, and the contagion feeds upon itself, growing with time. In the end, the crowd has assumed a life of its own, stirring up emotions and driving people toward irrational, even violent action.The 18th-century French Revolution is an example of how contagion theory can be used to explain crowd behavior. Exacerbated by hard economic times, famine, and resentment of the ruling class, crowds of peasants, farmers, and workers stormed the Bastille on July 14, 1789, with the intention of obtaining guns and killing the ruling class, including King Louis XVI.

Not again!
@fulabeer In my last three deals. One was badly mauledby haters of EU/foreigners/immigration or what, the freebie is a kindle book to help everyone with the meaning of citizenship post Brexit in a practical legal sense. The book offers advice to British and other citizens, and is a fair and balanced book which is not about politics but is to assess the impact of citizenship in a legal framwork which is to be changed.

This one had 552 votes and got 727 degrees heat in contrast to my "A Christmas Carol" that got 236 votes for 725 degree heat. You can see how many cold voters there were for a book that is otherwise printed and sold for £20 all over Europe by Amazon. Even when I was trying to help everyone with this useful kindle book as a freebie this thread was savaged by some folks with comments, enjoy for yourselves these comments and have a laugh! Not only did they attack remainer folks they attacked the author too with insults, as well as shooting me as a messenger for promoting this freebie and defending the author for her quality of work, a book which would othewise cost £20 and Amazon do sell it at this price as you may order the hardcopies.

And then the other one is a Samsung tablet. It was a great deal and then someone didn't like my attitude when I am helping people. And then there were the cold voters without realising this has LTE/4G and what it does.
Edited by: "splender" 20th Dec 2017
How can I vote this so cold that even Putin wouldn't send his worst enemies there for an eternal Christmas?
fanpages5 h, 45 m ago

Sheep in lingerie? Would that be male sheep or female sheep? It will …Sheep in lingerie? Would that be male sheep or female sheep? It will affect my voting.

Wouldn't ewe like to know.
FrootLoop31 m ago

Wouldn't ewe like to know.

Shear baad pun.
fanpages4 m ago

Shear baad pun.

I have mutton else to say.
FrootLoop5 m ago

I have mutton else to say.

Woolly response.
fanpages2 m ago

Woolly response.

Ticks all the boxes
Sometimes a deal can be a bad deal even if it's the cheapest price around for that particular product (or service).

For example, some products are just rubbish, and whilst someone out there might want to own it anyway, I would feel duty bound to discourage people from buying that product if I thought it was more trouble than it was worth.

IMHO if you encourage manufacturers to make poor quality products by buying them just because they are cheap, it just encourages them to make more poor quality products. I'm not saying that everything that's cheap is rubbish, but there is plenty out there.
splender9 h, 28 m ago

@fulabeer In my last three deals. One was badly mauled by haters of …@fulabeer In my last three deals. One was badly mauled by haters of EU/foreigners/immigration or what, the freebie is a kindle book to help everyone with the meaning of citizenship post Brexit in a practical legal sense. The book offers advice to British and other citizens, and is a fair and balanced book which is not about politics but is to assess the impact of citizenship in a legal framwork which is to be changed.This one had 552 votes and got 727 degrees heat in contrast to my "A Christmas Carol" that got 236 votes for 725 degree heat. You can see how many cold voters there were for a book that is otherwise printed and sold for £20 all over Europe by Amazon. Even when I was trying to help everyone with this useful kindle book as a freebie this thread was savaged by some folks with comments, enjoy for yourselves these comments and have a laugh! Not only did they attack remainer folks they attacked the author too with insults, as well as shooting me as a messenger for promoting this freebie and defending the author for her quality of work, a book which would othewise cost £20 and Amazon do sell it at this price as you may order the hardcopies.And then the other one is a Samsung tablet. It was a great deal and then someone didn't like my attitude when I am helping people. And then there were the cold voters without realising this has LTE/4G and what it does.

Yeah that's a shame but it's just votes, doesn't really matter in the big scheme of things.
Uranus20th Dec 2017

Why not?Fairs fair

Because the privacy prevents some potential trolling.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants