Groups

Why do some shops only sell 10p bags instead of 5p?

The Home Bargain near me only sells carrier bags for 10p which I wasn't aware of until I got to the till and felt like a fool in a queue of 6 people because I had the exact change on me for a 5p bag. Luckily enough the lady on the till just gave me one without scanning it. Apparently they only sell 10p bags, thick green ones. Was quite an awkward moment patting myself down looking for an extra 5p knowing I didn't have it on me and hoping it would just magically appear and save my blushes of falling short!

12 Comments

I like the humour in your msg, they probably aren't cost effective seeing as there a bargain store

Where obligated to charge for a bag, the minimum charge is 5p, so retailer can presumably charge whatever they wish to boost the amount that goes to whatever cause is being suppoted.

5p tax and 5p to them. They probably checked how much various major outlets in Wales give to charities via the CB tax and thought "We'll have some of that"
    John Lewis Cardiff

In theory the thicker bags for life (over a certain thickness) dont need to be charged for at all-only the "single use" thin bags must be charged a min 5p each.

Or you could have just put one item back

There classed as a purchase no tax, all profit to home bargains.

Rich069

In theory the thicker bags for life (over a certain thickness) dont need … In theory the thicker bags for life (over a certain thickness) dont need to be charged for at all-only the "single use" thin bags must be charged a min 5p each.

They say single use, but does me reusing one then place it in a reuseable category and therefore make it exempt from the fee?

I've seen it the other way round, trying to flog the smaller , barely reusable 5p ones to get you to buy more than one.

If you had the foresight to have the exact change for a 5p bag why did you not think to take a bag with you?
    You are failing bargain hunters everywhere

I still can't remember to take a bag with me, even after all this time although I agree with the charges. I see less bags blowing about as litter. Maybe they should increase the charges so my dum brain gets the message,although I have gotten good at carrying items while cussing to myself

I don't think the ones are 5p anymore, sure they gone up to 6 or 7p.

Original Poster

STEWIEG

If you had the foresight to have the exact change for a 5p bag why did … If you had the foresight to have the exact change for a 5p bag why did you not think to take a bag with you?You are failing bargain hunters everywhere

Good point. I don't know why I never take bags to the shop. Even on the weekly shop I still forget. So I spend a few minutes looking for pennies for the bags instead of simply going to the draw and pick some out X)
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Win a Davosa Ternos Submariner Wristwatch worth £64578
      2. Win 1 of 3 x £1000 Selfridges vouchers with Virgin Trains1211
      3. Win a luxury eight-night break for two in Malaysia with Ushvani Spa and Tra…55
      4. Win a safari adventure & claim a free Chicago Town pizza coupon44

See more discussions