Why does people think Harry Redknapp is a great manager?

Found 24th Feb 2012
TBH, he's a good manager but he looks like he's been smoking something and is quite dopey (proved in his trial with a lot of his comments).

If you're talking about his managerial success, he's done the following:

1) Turned West Ham into a mid table team, which inherited a squad with a youth team with the likes of Rio Ferdinand, Joe Cole, Frank Lampard and Jermaine Defoe etc.

2) Won 1 cup with Portsmouth after convincing the chairmen to overspend and has effectively bankrupted the club as a result of the high wages and overspending...he even profited from player sales on a cash strapped club.

3) Inherited a good Spurs squad and spent heavily, most of his signings costing quite a lot with several flops and he didn't know much about one of his only bargain buy in Van Der Vaart with Real Madrid offering him out to everyone on deadline day.

In reality, any decent manager should of done at least what Redknapp has achieved in the same circumstances, as he has had a lot of luck along the way but he has proved to be greedy and attempted to avoid paying tax.

This is why I would like to know why he's actually considered as the only candidate for the England job and is so highly regarded by the media???

West Ham - relegated

Southampton - relegated & administration

Portsmouth - relegated & administration.

Tottenham - one can hope!
- v5535

Why do some people think Harry Redknapp is a great manager?*
- Gitch28
Community Updates
Misc
108 Comments
because everyone is told he is by papers,media
Amazing how you can twist anything to suit your argument. The fact that clubs got into trouble is the chairmanship fault not his. This is the first time in 20 years I would be disappointed to lose a manager. Should tell you everything.
Because the FA want an English manager, and he's the best of a bad bunch. The media love-in is because he's from down south and manages a London club..... would be interesting to see if it lasts though if results didn't go as expected.

Agree wholeheartedly. I hope the FA agree with your comments OP. COYS!!!!

gbspurs

Amazing how you can twist anything to suit your argument. The fact that … Amazing how you can twist anything to suit your argument. The fact that clubs got into trouble is the chairmanship fault not his. This is the first time in 20 years I would be disappointed to lose a manager. Should tell you everything.

Just imagine what he could do with Arsenal.......they might win a game
Syzable

He would put Arsenal in the same situation he put Pompy....Arsene Wenger has done amazing with the amount of money and salary he has spent, especially when you compare how much profit Arsenal have made from the resale of the players he's discovered....the same can't be said about Arry.....he'd probably want most of that money in his French bank account haha.
gbspurs

Amazing how you can twist anything to suit your argument. The fact that … Amazing how you can twist anything to suit your argument. The fact that clubs got into trouble is the chairmanship fault not his. This is the first time in 20 years I would be disappointed to lose a manager. Should tell you everything.

How have I twisted anything, all the points mentioned are 100% true and I'd love to see any of that proved wrong.
By the terms of your argument any half decent manager with some decent players should be a table topper. That clearly is not the case.

I think in pure football terms he is a good manager. In that he manages to get players who may be primadonnas to pay well for him. Thats something to do with man management abilities. If I am right, he could be a good choice for England manager in purely football terms.

He reminds me quite a bit of Terry Venables who in my opinion was very good in his time as England Manager
Syzable

http://img413.imageshack.us/img413/8506/wenger.gif
realfriendlyman

He would put Arsenal in the same situation he put Pompy....Arsene Wenger … He would put Arsenal in the same situation he put Pompy....Arsene Wenger has done amazing with the amount of money and salary he has spent, especially when you compare how much profit Arsenal have made from the resale of the players he's discovered....the same can't be said about Arry.....he'd probably want most of that money in his French bank account haha.

Arsene has started the mid table mediocrity of a once great club. The slide is on. 7 years without a trophy is not a amazing job unless you are keeping a team like Wigan in the prem.
midlandscomics

Because the FA want an English manager, and he's the best of a bad bunch. … Because the FA want an English manager, and he's the best of a bad bunch. The media love-in is because he's from down south and manages a London club..... would be interesting to see if it lasts though if results didn't go as expected.

So true, be interesting to see in a few years if the media warm to Sam Allardyce now he's in London. Redknapp has had success, goes for it in games and is good with players.

Wonder what his solution to the Lampard and Gerrard midfield incompatibility will be, personally I'd keep Lampard as I rate him higher.
He's a good manager, but massively over rated. The people who are campaigning for him to be the next England manager will be the same people wishing for him to be sacked come 12 months time.
Syzable

Arsene has started the mid table mediocrity of a once great club. The … Arsene has started the mid table mediocrity of a once great club. The slide is on. 7 years without a trophy is not a amazing job unless you are keeping a team like Wigan in the prem.

But at least they're making a profit, that seems to be more important to Arsenal presently X)

Edited by: "midlandscomics" 24th Feb 2012
mr.potato_head

He's a good manager, but massively over rated. The people who are … He's a good manager, but massively over rated. The people who are campaigning for him to be the next England manager will be the same people wishing for him to be sacked come 12 months time.

That's a given whoever is put in charge
WoolyM

By the terms of your argument any half decent manager with some decent … By the terms of your argument any half decent manager with some decent players should be a table topper. That clearly is not the case. I think in pure football terms he is a good manager. In that he manages to get players who may be primadonnas to pay well for him. Thats something to do with man management abilities. If I am right, he could be a good choice for England manager in purely football terms. He reminds me quite a bit of Terry Venables who in my opinion was very good in his time as England Manager

No, not a table topper but he has not overachieved by any sense of the word, he's done what is expected of any decent manager with the squad that he's invested and the amount of money he's had pumped in.
super_leeds_86

So true, be interesting to see in a few years if the media warm to Sam … So true, be interesting to see in a few years if the media warm to Sam Allardyce now he's in London. Redknapp has had success, goes for it in games and is good with players.Wonder what his solution to the Lampard and Gerrard midfield incompatibility will be, personally I'd keep Lampard as I rate him higher.

I think Lampard might just come out on top of that one seeing as he is 'arry's nephew.
Syzable

Arsene has started the mid table mediocrity of a once great club. The … Arsene has started the mid table mediocrity of a once great club. The slide is on. 7 years without a trophy is not a amazing job unless you are keeping a team like Wigan in the prem.

One of the only clubs to make a profit last year. A football club is a business and Arsenal are a successful one in that regard.

Wenger has done a fantastic job in nurturing young talent, selling them for huge profits and along the way, broken records and won titles. I don't think you can ask much more from a manager.
Syzable

There's no way Arsenal will be a mid table team....there's no evidence of that.
He's kept Arsenal in the Champions League for 15 years and has even if you disregard the last 7 trophyless years, he's achieved 10 times more success than he has over Redknapps whole career.

I don't think anyone can seriously say that Redknapp is a better manager than Wenger....anyone that says otherwise doesn't know much about football.
Syzable

That's a given whoever is put in charge

Agreed X) so why the campaign in the first place?
The only thing that will stop Frank being on that plane to the Euro's is if he gets wedged in the arirplane door
realfriendlyman

He would put Arsenal in the same situation he put Pompy....Arsene Wenger … He would put Arsenal in the same situation he put Pompy....Arsene Wenger has done amazing with the amount of money and salary he has spent, especially when you compare how much profit Arsenal have made from the resale of the players he's discovered....the same can't be said about Arry.....he'd probably want most of that money in his French bank account haha.

Wenger has become old, tired and deluded
He'll leave Arsenal like Benitez left Liverpool, people holding out forever hoping he can recreate earlier achievements while the team keeps sliding into mediocrity. It'll be sad, just as it was sad how Benitez shuffled out of Anfield a broken man.

Harry's got something about him, players want to play for him and he has moulded the most exciting english football team of the last few years
mr.potato_head

One of the only clubs to make a profit last year. A football club is a … One of the only clubs to make a profit last year. A football club is a business and Arsenal are a successful one in that regard.Wenger has done a fantastic job in nurturing young talent, selling them for huge profits and along the way, broken records and won titles. I don't think you can ask much more from a manager.

Arsenal have consistantly been one of the only teams in the world to make large profits every year, whereas most teams are struggling financially or being backed by mega millionaires/billionaires spending a portion of there massive wealth to play catch up with what Arsene achieved.

Don't forget, the squad that Arsene inherited wasn't anything amazing, there was potential there but Wenger found bargains in signing players like Petit £3.5m, Overmars £7m, Vieira £4m and Ljungberg £3.5 who all played a major role in transforming a good Arsenal side into one of the best in the world.

Since then, he's had no choice but to dismantle that squad a handful of times and start again and he did it all without spending big or bankrupting a team.

I guarantee, if both Redknapp and Wenger applied for the job, I know who I'd take but Wenger is loyal to his club, unlike Harry, who desserted Pompy when the ship was sinking.
It's sad that the argument of success is now down to qualifying for comps and making money.

Success should be winning trophies
topdealhunter

Wenger has become old, tired and deludedHe'll leave Arsenal like Benitez … Wenger has become old, tired and deludedHe'll leave Arsenal like Benitez left Liverpool, people holding out forever hoping he can recreate earlier achievements while the team keeps sliding into mediocrity. It'll be sad, just as it was sad how Benitez shuffled out of Anfield a broken man.Harry's got something about him, players want to play for him and he has moulded the most exciting english football team of the last few years

Those characteristics you've incorrectly (apart from old) plastered Wenger with, could easily be applied to Redknapp too.

Redknapp is not a good manager, when he's tested, he fails. The reason he's doing ok is because, as you said, players like him - but footballers are idiots. They choose how they play by whether like a manger not by his ability to judge tactics and formations. It's the players that determine which manager they have, not the chairman.
topdealhunter

Wenger has become old, tired and deludedHe'll leave Arsenal like Benitez … Wenger has become old, tired and deludedHe'll leave Arsenal like Benitez left Liverpool, people holding out forever hoping he can recreate earlier achievements while the team keeps sliding into mediocrity. It'll be sad, just as it was sad how Benitez shuffled out of Anfield a broken man.Harry's got something about him, players want to play for him and he has moulded the most exciting english football team of the last few years

LMAO!!!

You can tell you're a Spurs fan....this is what makes me laugh about Spurs fans....this is all I've heard for the last 15 years and there isn't much to shout about.

For example, it took them 17 years to beat Arsenal in the league after Arsenal humiliated Spurs in the first half but then Arsenal didn't come out in the second half but you went on like you won the league (a big hint that you're a small club).

Spurs beat Arsenal reserves in the league cup how many seasons ago and they still go on about it like it's there greatest achievement in the modern era.....do you actually hear Arsenal fans go on about how we rocked you in the league cup last season?
No, we don't care about it lol

When Spurs actually win a major trophy, then Spurs fans can preach how amazing the team is, until then, you're just another Newcastle, thinking that you're a big team but when was the last time you won the league???

There's no point saying "Arsenal haven't won a trophy for 7 years" because the truth is, taking away the worst cup in league cup....what have you won in the last 20 years....let alone 7?
It's not an achievement to be in the champions league once and winning the Carling Cup over a 20 year spell haha
Syzable

It's sad that the argument of success is now down to qualifying for comps … It's sad that the argument of success is now down to qualifying for comps and making money.Success should be winning trophies

Yes, so what has Harry Redknapp won in his entire managerial career?
I envisage epic thread backfire come this weekend
realfriendlyman

Arsenal have consistantly been one of the only teams in the world to make … Arsenal have consistantly been one of the only teams in the world to make large profits every year, whereas most teams are struggling financially or being backed by mega millionaires/billionaires spending a portion of there massive wealth to play catch up with what Arsene achieved.Don't forget, the squad that Arsene inherited wasn't anything amazing, there was potential there but Wenger found bargains in signing players like Petit £3.5m, Overmars £7m, Vieira £4m and Ljungberg £3.5 who all played a major role in transforming a good Arsenal side into one of the best in the world.Since then, he's had no choice but to dismantle that squad a handful of times and start again and he did it all without spending big or bankrupting a team.I guarantee, if both Redknapp and Wenger applied for the job, I know who I'd take but Wenger is loyal to his club, unlike Harry, who desserted Pompy when the ship was sinking.

Wenger built his success on the backbone of defenders that he inherited and the spirit that was still at the club.Which has slowly drained away
He has and still has loads of money to spend but he's been determined to create some kind of fantasy tippy-tappy football team from bargain foreign buys, to blow away the Premier League and Europe. It hasnt worked and now Arsenal have no spirit, character or leaders.
realfriendlyman

Yes, so what has Harry Redknapp won in his entire managerial career?

An FA Cup. Not a lot.
Syzable

Success should be winning trophies

Success is judged differently by each individual. I'd say going unbeaten for 49 games is pretty successful.

Edited by: "mr.potato_head" 24th Feb 2012
mr.potato_head

Success is judged differently by each individual.

True, but if you are want to be classed a big successful club then i believe that should be on what you are putting in your cabinet.

I don't see a end to Manchester Utd or City dominance on that front for some time though
Why do you believe he would bankrupt arsenal? Has he done that at spurs? He spent in his first season to get us out of trouble but since then he has spent very little. January we made a net profit. Parker was the only player who cost in the summer. Sandro the previous year and VdV the precious summer were the main expenses. He has been pretty frugal since he got a squad he liked and we are reaping the rewards.
mr.potato_head

Success is judged differently by each individual. I'd say going unbeaten … Success is judged differently by each individual. I'd say going unbeaten for 49 games is pretty successful.

They don't look too invincible now!!!!
mr.potato_head

One of the only clubs to make a profit last year. A football club is a … One of the only clubs to make a profit last year. A football club is a business and Arsenal are a successful one in that regard.Wenger has done a fantastic job in nurturing young talent, selling them for huge profits and along the way, broken records and won titles. I don't think you can ask much more from a manager.

Hang on so your saying you would rather make money than win trophies / games ?

I for one am fed up every year him saying the same old tripe about building the squad and new players coming through.
Yes he has won a few trophies and 49 unbeaten etc but i think he has totally lost the plot and think its time for him to go.

No trophies which will be 7 years this season for a club like Arsenal is a disaster and most likely we are not even going to get into champions league this year.

Also answer to OPs question i think twitchy will do well as England manager.
Edited by: "goonertillidie" 24th Feb 2012
mr.potato_head

Success is judged differently by each individual. I'd say going unbeaten … Success is judged differently by each individual. I'd say going unbeaten for 49 games is pretty successful.

Changed your post.

Yes that was successful. Like Liverpool dominating in the 80's but it's in the past now.

topdealhunter

Wenger built his success on the backbone of defenders that he inherited … Wenger built his success on the backbone of defenders that he inherited and the spirit that was still at the club.Which has slowly drained awayHe has and still has loads of money to spend but he's been determined to create some kind of fantasy tippy-tappy football team from bargain foreign buys, to blow away the Premier League and Europe. It hasnt worked and now Arsenal have no spirit, character or leaders.

Actually, he did have the Arsenal rear guard of Adams, Keown, Bould, Dixon and Winterburn but when he took over, only Adams was a regular with Keown being a back up.

He dismantled that defence as well and then introduced a completely new defence that became the invisibles in Lauren (£7.2m), Cole (youth system), Toure (250k, later sold for approximately 100 times profit) and Campbell (free transfer from Spurs), so I feel your comments are completely incorrect.
At least Arsene Wenger isn't a tax fraudster. But, then of course, nor is Harry. (_;)
Syzable

An FA Cup. Not a lot.

Exactly....not a lot to shout about, so like I said, why is he considered as such an amazing manager when like you even said, should be based on trophies....he's not won anything worth talking about....he's no Mourinho, Wenger or Fergie.
realfriendlyman

and Campbell (free transfer from Spurs)

Haha. Light the blue touchpaper and stand well clear!
realfriendlyman

Exactly....not a lot to shout about, so like I said, why is he considered … Exactly....not a lot to shout about, so like I said, why is he considered as such an amazing manager when like you even said, should be based on trophies....he's not won anything worth talking about....he's no Mourinho, Wenger or Fergie.

That is Success for an Englishman which seems to be the main criteria. I also don't think you can put Wenger alongside Fergie or Mourinho any longer. They are still doing it year after year even though Man Utd have rebuilt several times. (and that from a Liverpool fan)
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants