Posted 6 January 2012

why does the salt always go wet in the grinder??

I've tried placing it in different locations in the house, cupboards under the stairs in the larder everything but still wetty salt. Is that a word i hope so becasue thats what ive got wetty salt!

any advice would be very tasty
Community Updates
New Comment

27 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    in a normal salt seller a few grains of un cooked rice stops the salt from getting damp obviously in a grinder you will just end up grinding the rice

(edited)
    Because It's hygroscopic
    is it not coz ur food is hot when u put salt on therefore the steam makes it damp??
    Salty and wet.

Fnarr Fnarr.

ding

in a normal salt seller a few grains of un cooked rice stops the salt … in a normal salt seller a few grains of un cooked rice stops the salt from getting damp obviously in a grinder you will just end up grinding the rice

Yeah, but won't it just get ground in a grinder?

Lol, sorry ding I didn't read your post to the end

(edited)
    Have you tried placing it in the tumble dryer?
    When it gets difficult to grind, empty into suitable container and dry it in the microwave. Easy does it.
    I need help with this too! I see a lot of people saying it’s the grinder. It’s not! If you live in a humid environment it’s common. I also see this is a UK sight so hence why people rarely have this issue. I’m in Australia and it’s common. I have just seen that you can put some paper towel in the lid or on the base of the grinder and when not using leave this in the lid or on the base of the grinder - hopefully it works as rice doesn’t work and just makes salty grinded rice. 
    Author
    Thank you so much. I'll be trying this!
    you have a damp house lol
    buy a better grinder
    Author
    crazyblondechick

is it not coz ur food is hot when u put salt on therefore the steam makes … is it not coz ur food is hot when u put salt on therefore the steam makes it damp??

no it sticks to the inside of the bluddy grinder all the time I thought about putting sillica gel in it.
    Author
    ding

in a normal salt seller a few grains of un cooked rice stops the salt … in a normal salt seller a few grains of un cooked rice stops the salt from getting damp

Wow i'll give that one a try
    ding

in a normal salt seller a few grains of un cooked rice stops the salt … in a normal salt seller a few grains of un cooked rice stops the salt from getting damp obviously in a grinder you will just end up grinding the rice

Rice is definitely the answer!
    lol i love this question, its strange
    BIGUSHEADUS

no it sticks to the inside of the bluddy grinder all the time I thought … no it sticks to the inside of the bluddy grinder all the time I thought about putting sillica gel in it.

I've never had this problem with any grinder.
    Maybe you should invest in a new one?
    I have a wooden one made by AGA and it's great.
    Use the rice method, always works for me!
    (edited)

Silica granules in your salt?? oO

While the contents of a silica gel packet are basically harmless, it … While the contents of a silica gel packet are basically harmless, it would be a rather unpleasant experience to attempt to consume the silica crystals. The sole job of these tiny desiccants is to adsorb moisture. If you emptied a packet of the stuff into your mouth, the moisture would be whisked away from the sides and roof of your mouth, your gums and tongue -- giving an entirely new and all-too-accurate meaning of the phrase "dry mouth." If silica gel did happen to make it past your mouth -- which is unlikely because you would probably be making every effort to spit it out -- you might suffer a few irritating side effects, such as:Dry eyesAn irritated, dry feeling in your throatAggravated, dry mucous membranes and nasal cavityAn upset stomach or stomach discomfortSo just how many silica packets would it take to adsorb all the water from someone's body? Let's use a 210-pound man as an example. We know that 70 percent of a human body is made up of water - 70 percent of 210 pounds is 147 pounds of water. We also know that silica gel can adsorb about 40percent of its weight in moisture. So 10 pounds of silica gel are needed to adsorb 4 pounds of water.It turns out that it would take 367.5 pounds of silica gel to adsorb 147 pounds of water. Since a single packet of silica gel weighs 0.1 ounces, that means a 210-pound man would have to consume 58,800 packets of silica gel.

Sounds like a stag do dare
    Salt attracts moisture ,can you not keep the grinder in a tin with a lid on and put a few grains of rice in the tin
    A little bit of newspaper works too...
    You are using rock salt aren't you?
    I'm sure a dried pea works too
    never had this problem. Must be a cheap & nasty grinder

buy a decent one.
    Rocksalt in a pestle and mortar?
    Leave some grains of rice in the grinder when it is not in use to check if there is any damp there at all.

The most likely location of damp however is the salt itself that as others have said is absorbing moisture from wherever it is being kept.

See if you can borrow a dehumidifier to check if you have a damp/condensation problem in the house
's avatar