Why has Superdrug been banned from HUKD ?

Posted 12th Sep 2019
Cant seem to post any deals with regards to Superdrug ?
What have they done ?
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
When a company is "banned" it's nearly always to do with HUKD not getting a cut of monies generated. Period.

Call it self promotion or whatever you want but it's all about the Benjamins.
Superdrug self promoted themselves on here? Is that a joke!
Any dom and harry knows they are cheaper than boots and other makeup retailers.
Tbf If I was into makeup id list the promotion myself.
Well its 3 for 2 on all makeup including NYX
Why is self promotion not allowed ? Surely if its not a good deal, it will just get voted cold anyway and hotukdeals will still make their cut, so whats the issue ?
Jason13/09/2019 15:49

I'm glad you asked this very question! We don't want "bad deals" on site. …I'm glad you asked this very question! We don't want "bad deals" on site. If a merchant is posting a deal on site they won't care whether it is actually a good deal. They just want to see sales/traction on their offer. They stand to benefit from it entirely and there is no evaluation in the merits of the deal because they don't care about that. Which leads me on to the other point(s) made in this thread and i'll try to cover them:Some merchants do submit deals to hotukdeals and our deal editors will review and evaluate the deal. If they believe the deal is worth sharing they will post it. If they don't then it gets rejected. I will say too that editors source their own deals independent of this submission. We know we need to be clearer on this which is why we'll be introducing some indicators on deals to aid transparency. Editors do not have to share a quota of a merchants deals or hit any deal posting targets based on merchant submissions. If it is a poor deal it is rejected. If a merchant wants to improve the offer they have to submit it again. So the community can often get a better deal because of this process. Remember that these deals are being sent because they aren't on site. So if they weren't found by members and they are a great deal, you're potentially missing out on them. As for banning/suspending merchants, it is NEVER done on the basis of them not paying hotukdeals. The decision to ban is actually made by the forum and never the partnership team. If a merchant self promotes that account gets a warning and if it happens again they'll get a second warning and then a suspension. Homebase was mentioned here because the suspension was relatively short in length. The idea isn't to penalise a merchant (and our community) but to make sure they know they have to respect the rules. So if they get in touch, acknowledge what they did was wrong and confirm they have better processes then we shouldn't stop the community seeing their deals.

So millercat can spam Tokyo laundry deals as hotukdeals are getting paid (bribed) to do so. But because superdrug or sellers on amazon aren't, we can't post them?

38501395-ADgKC.jpgAs I stated in my thread that got closed, if I was to continually post these 'deals' I would be banned in no time. These kind of paid adverts need to be highlited as 'paid sponsorship' to make it clear. This was once a community site, now its a money spinner for those who run it. With censorship rife.
54 Comments
Hi @Ana10 Superdrug are currently suspended from the site due to self promotion.
Kell77412/09/2019 13:50

Hi @Ana10 Superdrug are currently suspended from the site due to self …Hi @Ana10 Superdrug are currently suspended from the site due to self promotion.

Ohh really ? They promoted themselves
Won’t be long until they are back just like Homebase a few weeks ago with loads of site posted deals.
Why is self promotion not allowed ? Surely if its not a good deal, it will just get voted cold anyway and hotukdeals will still make their cut, so whats the issue ?
Mark_Hickman12/09/2019 14:19

Why is self promotion not allowed ? Surely if its not a good deal, it will …Why is self promotion not allowed ? Surely if its not a good deal, it will just get voted cold anyway and hotukdeals will still make their cut, so whats the issue ?

Would be a bit of a pain to have companies firing on any old deals and having to wade through to the real good deals.

Hi @Ana10 Superdrug are currently suspended from the site due to self …Hi @Ana10 Superdrug are currently suspended from the site due to self promotion.

Sooo.. they had an employee sign up for an account to post specific "deals"? Would have only expected that from small players, not a big company like them. But I guess I'd be surprised to know what goes on behind the scenes...
r2mahara12/09/2019 14:59

Sooo.. they had an employee sign up for an account to post specific …Sooo.. they had an employee sign up for an account to post specific "deals"? Would have only expected that from small players, not a big company like them. But I guess I'd be surprised to know what goes on behind the scenes...

This site has 1,865,711 users, not mentioning lurkers, people repost on Twitter and FB, they get all that coverage from an employee taking a minute to post a deal and it didn't cost them a penny. TBH I cant see why more companies don't do it.
Edited by: "Donkii" 12th Sep 2019
Superdrug self promoted themselves on here? Is that a joke!
Any dom and harry knows they are cheaper than boots and other makeup retailers.
Tbf If I was into makeup id list the promotion myself.
Well its 3 for 2 on all makeup including NYX

Genuine question, if they paid your "deal editors", would that be been accepted?
r2mahara12/09/2019 14:59

Sooo.. they had an employee sign up for an account to post specific …Sooo.. they had an employee sign up for an account to post specific "deals"? Would have only expected that from small players, not a big company like them. But I guess I'd be surprised to know what goes on behind the scenes...

Small players, Amazon, Homebase, carparts4less gave all been banned in the past and one still is.

adam_holcombe12/09/2019 17:36

Genuine question, if they paid your "deal editors", would that be been …Genuine question, if they paid your "deal editors", would that be been accepted?

Of course not and editors are already paid for by the site and post “partner deals”, experts are different they like us have to find deals.
eslick12/09/2019 19:01

Small players, Amazon, Homebase, carparts4less gave all been banned in the …Small players, Amazon, Homebase, carparts4less gave all been banned in the past and one still is. Of course not and editors are already paid for by the site and post “partner deals”, experts are different they like us have to find deals.

Partner deals are a terrible idea.

It's 100% self promotion.
adam_holcombe12/09/2019 19:03

Partner deals are a terrible idea. It's 100% self promotion.

Not self promotion when the “partner” cough works with the site on the deals, it’s simply blatant advertising in another for and anywhere else would be called out. You just have to take any deal posted by anyone connected to the site including, mods, editors (which many don’t realise pare employees) with a pinch of salt especially when they cough get quick heat.

Experts are outside of that though.
Edited by: "eslick" 12th Sep 2019
eslick12/09/2019 19:08

Experts are outside of that though.

That we know of..
dont they sell drugs,?
When a company is "banned" it's nearly always to do with HUKD not getting a cut of monies generated. Period.

Call it self promotion or whatever you want but it's all about the Benjamins.

naughty superdrug - they bypassed emailing staff with the deals for them to post eh?
Mark_Hickman12/09/2019 14:19

Why is self promotion not allowed ? Surely if its not a good deal, it will …Why is self promotion not allowed ? Surely if its not a good deal, it will just get voted cold anyway and hotukdeals will still make their cut, so whats the issue ?

I'm glad you asked this very question!

We don't want "bad deals" on site. If a merchant is posting a deal on site they won't care whether it is actually a good deal. They just want to see sales/traction on their offer. They stand to benefit from it entirely and there is no evaluation in the merits of the deal because they don't care about that.

Which leads me on to the other point(s) made in this thread and i'll try to cover them:

Some merchants do submit deals to hotukdeals and our deal editors will review and evaluate the deal. If they believe the deal is worth sharing they will post it. If they don't then it gets rejected. I will say too that editors source their own deals independent of this submission. We know we need to be clearer on this which is why we'll be introducing some indicators on deals to aid transparency. Editors do not have to share a quota of a merchants deals or hit any deal posting targets based on merchant submissions. If it is a poor deal it is rejected. If a merchant wants to improve the offer they have to submit it again. So the community can often get a better deal because of this process.

Remember that these deals are being sent because they aren't on site. So if they weren't found by members and they are a great deal, you're potentially missing out on them.

As for banning/suspending merchants, it is NEVER done on the basis of them not paying hotukdeals. The decision to ban is actually made by the forum and never the partnership team.

If a merchant self promotes that account gets a warning and if it happens again they'll get a second warning and then a suspension. Homebase was mentioned here because the suspension was relatively short in length. The idea isn't to penalise a merchant (and our community) but to make sure they know they have to respect the rules. So if they get in touch, acknowledge what they did was wrong and confirm they have better processes then we shouldn't stop the community seeing their deals.
so a merchant submits deals to the staff:

lets call them deals 1,2 and 3
deal 1 - good deal - posted
deal 2 - bad deal, generally considered tat etc - posted
deal 3 - staff dont like ... how is it rejected? do you reply to them and say you want a better one or their item sucks or do you just not use it?

so 1 is fine apart from the fact that generally people can find the same deal and the merchant gets benefit of contacting that normal merchants dont
2 wouldn't have been posted so promo harmed site or the staff have no idea
3 depends

how often do they email you? etc

We don't want "bad deals" on site. If a merchant is posting a deal on site …We don't want "bad deals" on site. If a merchant is posting a deal on site they won't care whether it is actually a good deal. They just want to see sales/traction on their offer. They stand to benefit from it entirely and there is no evaluation in the merits of the deal because they don't care about that.

Isn't that what the deal temperature indicator is for - where the community decides what is or isn't a goo deal.

Surely, that is a more useful metric as we are the buyers or not.
brilly13/09/2019 16:17

so a merchant submits deals to the staff:lets call them deals 1,2 and …so a merchant submits deals to the staff:lets call them deals 1,2 and 3deal 1 - good deal - posteddeal 2 - bad deal, generally considered tat etc - posteddeal 3 - staff dont like ... how is it rejected? do you reply to them and say you want a better one or their item sucks or do you just not use it?so 1 is fine apart from the fact that generally people can find the same deal and the merchant gets benefit of contacting that normal merchants dont2 wouldn't have been posted so promo harmed site or the staff have no idea3 dependshow often do they email you? etc

If the editor reviewing the deal believes it is a bad deal then it doesn't get posted. It is their opinion and they ALWAYS have the final say after evaluating the deal. If you believe once they post it that it isn't a good deal then that is your opinion and hopefully you'd tell the editor why.

If they reject it they tell the merchant why. It is a pretty straightforward process.

Impossible to put a number on how often. Some might send up to 3 emails a day, they might not submit anything for a few days or they might have a busy weekend with plenty of offers. Regardless of how often though each deal has a proper review by the team.
HappyShopper13/09/2019 16:24

Isn't that what the deal temperature indicator is for - where the …Isn't that what the deal temperature indicator is for - where the community decides what is or isn't a goo deal.Surely, that is a more useful metric as we are the buyers or not.

You'd open the floodgates to poor deals, spam, adverts and generally it would not be a community site any longer.
Gutted I love the superdrug posts.😥. I would say I got 80% of the that I have seen posted that I wanted.

I'm glad you asked this very question! We don't want "bad deals" on site. …I'm glad you asked this very question! We don't want "bad deals" on site. If a merchant is posting a deal on site they won't care whether it is actually a good deal. They just want to see sales/traction on their offer. They stand to benefit from it entirely and there is no evaluation in the merits of the deal because they don't care about that. Which leads me on to the other point(s) made in this thread and i'll try to cover them:Some merchants do submit deals to hotukdeals and our deal editors will review and evaluate the deal. If they believe the deal is worth sharing they will post it. If they don't then it gets rejected. I will say too that editors source their own deals independent of this submission. We know we need to be clearer on this which is why we'll be introducing some indicators on deals to aid transparency. Editors do not have to share a quota of a merchants deals or hit any deal posting targets based on merchant submissions. If it is a poor deal it is rejected. If a merchant wants to improve the offer they have to submit it again. So the community can often get a better deal because of this process. Remember that these deals are being sent because they aren't on site. So if they weren't found by members and they are a great deal, you're potentially missing out on them. As for banning/suspending merchants, it is NEVER done on the basis of them not paying hotukdeals. The decision to ban is actually made by the forum and never the partnership team. If a merchant self promotes that account gets a warning and if it happens again they'll get a second warning and then a suspension. Homebase was mentioned here because the suspension was relatively short in length. The idea isn't to penalise a merchant (and our community) but to make sure they know they have to respect the rules. So if they get in touch, acknowledge what they did was wrong and confirm they have better processes then we shouldn't stop the community seeing their deals.

Thanks for the comprehensive answer.

I feel all of this defeats the point of user-based voting? I saw a "deal" posted by Millarcat last week (again, a Packed Direct) that went ice cold very quickly.

Rather than just leave a cold deal up, it was removed by the Mod team.

Why not just let users decide if they're good deals or not??
adam_holcombe18/09/2019 09:33

Thanks for the comprehensive answer. I feel all of this defeats the point …Thanks for the comprehensive answer. I feel all of this defeats the point of user-based voting? I saw a "deal" posted by Millarcat last week (again, a Packed Direct) that went ice cold very quickly. Rather than just leave a cold deal up, it was removed by the Mod team. Why not just let users decide if they're good deals or not??

It was removed because the price did not drop (which was probably why it was cold voted because it seemed like a great price).

When you consider user voting I think it is important to look beyond "hot deals" and "cold deals". We have a voting system which should allow us to consider deals not simply on whether they are hot or cold, but based on how amazing the deal is which can be reflected in the temperature. For example no deal features on Highlights until it is 250°. The only exception to that is a fast burner which is so amazing it needs shouting about before it goes out of stock. So instead of needing to be in the right place at the right time (the New tab) we give it exposure to make sure you stand a better chance of getting the deal.

It might not have been your point but I really cannot agree that allowing merchants to submit deals straight to site is in any way a good idea. I made this point above but it is REALLY important - Editors do not have deal quotas to meet nor do they have targets for merchants. You might see them posting similar deals because they each have their preferred group that they look out for during their working day.
Jason18/09/2019 23:05

It was removed because the price did not drop (which was probably why it …It was removed because the price did not drop (which was probably why it was cold voted because it seemed like a great price). When you consider user voting I think it is important to look beyond "hot deals" and "cold deals". We have a voting system which should allow us to consider deals not simply on whether they are hot or cold, but based on how amazing the deal is which can be reflected in the temperature. For example no deal features on Highlights until it is 250°. The only exception to that is a fast burner which is so amazing it needs shouting about before it goes out of stock. So instead of needing to be in the right place at the right time (the New tab) we give it exposure to make sure you stand a better chance of getting the deal.It might not have been your point but I really cannot agree that allowing merchants to submit deals straight to site is in any way a good idea. I made this point above but it is REALLY important - Editors do not have deal quotas to meet nor do they have targets for merchants. You might see them posting similar deals because they each have their preferred group that they look out for during their working day.

I understand and value your feedback on this. Other mods have been very argumentative/rude about this, and simply remove any comments that are critical of Editor posts.

The fast burner concept is a little off to be honest, especially for Editor posts. You've spun it as in the interest of consumers, however the opposite is also the case. You have the ability to, and I assume actually do, "fast track" a post to the highlight sections which almost certainly increases traffic to your "partner" merchants.

I'm guessing you can't/won't answer, but do your merchants pay you to post these deals, or is it still based in click-through tracking? The entire process isn't transparent and almost certainly doesn't meet the CAP code from ASA.

And I agree, merchants totally shouldn't be permitted to post deals. Showing a post as a "promoted deal" would be a much better experience for users (assuming you allow a free choice in filtering these).
HappyShopper13/09/2019 16:24

Isn't that what the deal temperature indicator is for - where the …Isn't that what the deal temperature indicator is for - where the community decides what is or isn't a goo deal.Surely, that is a more useful metric as we are the buyers or not.

They claim it’s not a community if the community decide what’s good... it will be “flooded” with bad deals.....

its all illogical and spocks head is spinning...

before all these silly new rules and nonsense they were more and better deals on the site and that’s a fact.

this is system makes them more money.

But they surely can see from comments Big was right....

mo money mo problems.

Should go back to a community site. Not this “we know better than you” regime
adam_holcombe18/09/2019 23:23

I understand and value your feedback on this. Other mods have been very …I understand and value your feedback on this. Other mods have been very argumentative/rude about this, and simply remove any comments that are critical of Editor posts.The fast burner concept is a little off to be honest, especially for Editor posts. You've spun it as in the interest of consumers, however the opposite is also the case. You have the ability to, and I assume actually do, "fast track" a post to the highlight sections which almost certainly increases traffic to your "partner" merchants. I'm guessing you can't/won't answer, but do your merchants pay you to post these deals, or is it still based in click-through tracking? The entire process isn't transparent and almost certainly doesn't meet the CAP code from ASA. And I agree, merchants totally shouldn't be permitted to post deals. Showing a post as a "promoted deal" would be a much better experience for users (assuming you allow a free choice in filtering these).

It happens very rarely and it isn't just Editor posts it applies to. Deals which are gaining crazy heat are considered. As I say, it is VERY rare...maybe not even 1 thread a month.

Just the usual rate and Editors do not know what the rate is. Editor have zero involvement in any of the site finances.

An issue was actually raised with the ASA and we provided them with the information they needed and no further action was required (this is public record so I can tell you this). However, we do know we can do more and we are currently working on a few ideas to aid transparency.

So millercat can spam Tokyo laundry deals as hotukdeals are getting paid (bribed) to do so. But because superdrug or sellers on amazon aren't, we can't post them?

38501395-ADgKC.jpgAs I stated in my thread that got closed, if I was to continually post these 'deals' I would be banned in no time. These kind of paid adverts need to be highlited as 'paid sponsorship' to make it clear. This was once a community site, now its a money spinner for those who run it. With censorship rife.
I tried to post a deal a few days ago and it wouldn't let me . its stupid super drug are a reliable company with some cracking prices .
Pauladin9119/09/2019 16:53

So millercat can spam Tokyo laundry deals as hotukdeals are getting paid …So millercat can spam Tokyo laundry deals as hotukdeals are getting paid (bribed) to do so. But because superdrug or sellers on amazon aren't, we can't post them?[Image] As I stated in my thread that got closed, if I was to continually post these 'deals' I would be banned in no time. These kind of paid adverts need to be highlited as 'paid sponsorship' to make it clear. This was once a community site, now its a money spinner for those who run it. With censorship rife.

Why would you be banned? Unless you have a connection to the site you're sharing for you can post any deals you like?

You mean a connection like getting paid to post deals?
Pauladin9120/09/2019 20:31

You mean a connection like getting paid to post deals?

Editors post deals because it is their job. They do not get paid extra for posting deals sent to us for review by a merchant. I've covered this above already but i'll be happy to explain again:

Merchants can submit deals to hotukdeals which they believe the community want to see. Our editors will review the deal and decide whether or not they believe it is a good deal and worth posting. If they do believe it is worth posting they will post it. If they do not believe it is a good deal it will not be posted and they usually tell the merchant why. Feeding back to the merchant is good because if means there is a possibility of a better deal.

Why do we allow this?

- stops merchants self promoting
- editors do not have a quota to fulfil and no posting is ever incentivised so it is ALWAYS about the deal. They are totally impartial
- often deals can be improved
- our community gets to hear about offers in advance of release because a merchant has given us a heads up. That could help us make better individual purchasing decisions if we know something is going to be reduced or go on sale

As for Tokyo Laundry, it is clearly something the community want to see hence the heat and engagement on these posts. Looking at the recent ones (even member posted) there aren't any bad deals there (or at least the community do not believe so).
CoeK12/09/2019 14:34

Would be a bit of a pain to have companies firing on any old deals and …Would be a bit of a pain to have companies firing on any old deals and having to wade through to the real good deals.

what just like the pepper expert program nonsense! who just sift through the entire contents of amazon, argos, homebase, superdrug and screwfix!! this site is a joke and so hypocritical when the ban because of self promotion. It used to be a quite good site but like everything now it is sift through a barrage of slurry to find stuff posted by actual humans and stuff that is actual in stock!!
thomasleep20/09/2019 20:51

what just like the pepper expert program nonsense! who just sift through …what just like the pepper expert program nonsense! who just sift through the entire contents of amazon, argos, homebase, superdrug and screwfix!! this site is a joke and so hypocritical when the ban because of self promotion. It used to be a quite good site but like everything now it is sift through a barrage of slurry to find stuff posted by actual humans and stuff that is actual in stock!!

If it is out of stock then report the deal and the team can sort it.

Not sure what this topic has got to do with the PEP anyway but they certainly post for way more merchants than those 5 you mentioned so i'm not sure i really understand the point you're trying to make here (apart from you don't like the program).
Jason20/09/2019 20:49

Editors post deals because it is their job. They do not get paid extra for …Editors post deals because it is their job. They do not get paid extra for posting deals sent to us for review by a merchant. I've covered this above already but i'll be happy to explain again:Merchants can submit deals to hotukdeals which they believe the community want to see. Our editors will review the deal and decide whether or not they believe it is a good deal and worth posting. If they do believe it is worth posting they will post it. If they do not believe it is a good deal it will not be posted and they usually tell the merchant why. Feeding back to the merchant is good because if means there is a possibility of a better deal. Why do we allow this?- stops merchants self promoting- editors do not have a quota to fulfil and no posting is ever incentivised so it is ALWAYS about the deal. They are totally impartial- often deals can be improved- our community gets to hear about offers in advance of release because a merchant has given us a heads up. That could help us make better individual purchasing decisions if we know something is going to be reduced or go on saleAs for Tokyo Laundry, it is clearly something the community want to see hence the heat and engagement on these posts. Looking at the recent ones (even member posted) there aren't any bad deals there (or at least the community do not believe so).

Pepper expert get paid ( by a third party) !! and they are generally the worst deals as they are almost always 1 item in the middle of nowhere or stuff that is never honoured. EDS AND MODS to be fair generally post pretty good deals and see that one item in the outer Hebrides in a tesco local with a photo of an empty shelf as the op has bought them all is not a deal
thomasleep20/09/2019 20:56

Pepper expert get paid ( by a third party) !! and they are generally the …Pepper expert get paid ( by a third party) !! and they are generally the worst deals as they are almost always 1 item in the middle of nowhere or stuff that is never honoured. EDS AND MODS to be fair generally post pretty good deals and see that one item in the outer Hebrides in a tesco local with a photo of an empty shelf as the op has bought them all is not a deal

They get paid by Pepper, not a third party?!
Jason20/09/2019 20:55

If it is out of stock then report the deal and the team can sort it. Not …If it is out of stock then report the deal and the team can sort it. Not sure what this topic has got to do with the PEP anyway but they certainly post for way more merchants than those 5 you mentioned so i'm not sure i really understand the point you're trying to make here (apart from you don't like the program).

the comment has as much relevance to the question as your numerous defensive comment on this thread? Oh I get it you can go off topic but heaven forbid a mere mortal does. I was actually being quite nice to mod and eds but maybe i should have a rethink eh? so crack on and get deleting
Jason20/09/2019 20:55

If it is out of stock then report the deal and the team can sort it. Not …If it is out of stock then report the deal and the team can sort it. Not sure what this topic has got to do with the PEP anyway but they certainly post for way more merchants than those 5 you mentioned so i'm not sure i really understand the point you're trying to make here (apart from you don't like the program).

I think it is the term "Expert" that causes the contention with the program(me), 'jay.

If you had called them "Trusted Deal Finders", or "Proven Deal Submitters", or similar, then there wouldn't be so much disdain for their presence.

However, being more transparent on the incentives received by members of the program(me) would be helpful too.
thomasleep20/09/2019 20:59

the comment has as much relevance to the question as your numerous …the comment has as much relevance to the question as your numerous defensive comment on this thread? Oh I get it you can go off topic but heaven forbid a mere mortal does. I was actually being quite nice to mod and eds but maybe i should have a rethink eh? so crack on and get deleting

Not defensive at all. I'm responding openly to the questions which have been asked in the thread. I was just surprised the PEP was brought up when the thread isn't about that. But as I say, i'm happy to answer.
Lol this site has gone to the last few months with the 'updates' new rules etc. I used to be on here every day but now the quality of stuff posted has gone to pot also... and to say self promoting increase the chance of a bad deal going live? I've seen a ton of 'bad deals' as of late... That's what the whole voting system is based on no? ya'know... the whole point of this site? lol

Although this comment will be deleted because censorship and all that.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants