Why have Amazon UK left Nectar?!

Found 17th Jan 2013
Just had an email from Nectar to inform me that as of 31st January I will no longer be able to collect Nectar points with Amazon UK. This is where I get most of my points from and one of the reasons I frequently choose Amazon for shopping.

Big BOO to Amazon IMHO.

Interested to hear anyone else's views and perhaps someone knows the reasons why?
Community Updates
40 Comments
probably because ebay are doing nectar points now
Someone probably told Amazon that Nectar paid UK tax so Amazon decided to leave as they wouldn't want to be associated with a company that couldn't evade tax successfully. (_;)
just had the same email....
yea i saw this! shame cuz I just ordered some dvds for my son oh well (that'll be my last lot of points from them)

do you add extra points via adpoints? i spend about 15 minutes a week and usually ad bout 300 points depending what videos are on offer Adpoints website
Edited by: "znh3ra54" 17th Jan 2013
RonChew

Someone probably told Amazon that Nectar paid UK tax so Amazon decided to … Someone probably told Amazon that Nectar paid UK tax so Amazon decided to leave as they wouldn't want to be associated with a company that couldn't evade tax successfully. (_;)

Ha!
Amazon are pretty much the global super power in online shopping, why do they need any site to send traffic their way, I would be amazed if this site got anything as well

they just dont need it
chasmi49

probably because ebay are doing nectar points now

Been getting points from eBay for a few years now!
Aeschylus

Amazon are pretty much the global super power in online shopping, why do … Amazon are pretty much the global super power in online shopping, why do they need any site to send traffic their way, I would be amazed if this site got anything as wellthey just dont need it

Very true...just a bit miffed! :0(
Thil

Yes I forgot that but it is more widely advertised now
Yep, seems to show that Amazon are getting too big to be worried about customer reaction. Launching the scheme with such fanfare and then pulling it so quickly, could be worrying for the future with little to no high street competition and a massive lead on other online retailers.. Even set to overtake WalMart by 2020!
Thil

Accidentally liked instead of quoting.

I had thought Ebay and Nectar were only linked as of Oct 2012
Probably a tactic to get people to apply for Amazons credit card which gives points when you spend on it. Works out the same rate anyway (comparing nectar points to those you would get from amazon points)
Bah not happy, always use my nectar points for amazon vouchers, guess it's back to stock piling booze again! quick idea, can't I just use my nectar points to but a gift card in store with my shopping?
I guess one of Amazon's main competitors is play.com.
With them packing up, there's no need to offer incentives to shop with them.
dontasciime

Accidentally liked instead of quoting.I had thought Ebay and Nectar were … Accidentally liked instead of quoting.I had thought Ebay and Nectar were only linked as of Oct 2012

No they've been linked for at least a couple of years. In 2012 you no longer needed to go directly through Nectar site, just needed to register your Nectar number on your ebay account.
fridgehead

Bah not happy, always use my nectar points for amazon vouchers, guess … Bah not happy, always use my nectar points for amazon vouchers, guess it's back to stock piling booze again! quick idea, can't I just use my nectar points to but a gift card in store with my shopping?

Had NO idea I could do that!! Will need to look into that I have 63,500 points!! Wahoo!

BTW how do I do that? Can't see any mention on site...
Edited by: "Thil" 17th Jan 2013
maybe companies are re-evaluating cashback/perks and cutting back

thesaint

I guess one of Amazon's main competitors is play.com.With them packing … I guess one of Amazon's main competitors is play.com.With them packing up, there's no need to offer incentives to shop with them.

^ This, & the introduction of their own MasterCard/Loyalty Points scheme:

[ amazon.co.uk/gp/…tml ]

(You can also gain points shopping elsewhere).
It's a shame how companies are dropping these bonuses. Top Cashback won't be working with eBay soon either.
Thil

Had NO idea I could do that!! Will need to look into that I have 63,500 … Had NO idea I could do that!! Will need to look into that I have 63,500 points!! Wahoo!BTW how do I do that? Can't see any mention on site...

They have gift cards by the tills, I'm sure I've seen amazon ones and others there
Most of my Nectar points have mounted up mainly through Amazon purchases so shame to see Amazon dropping out.
Kakita

Yep, seems to show that Amazon are getting too big to be worried about … Yep, seems to show that Amazon are getting too big to be worried about customer reaction. Launching the scheme with such fanfare and then pulling it so quickly, could be worrying for the future with little to no high street competition and a massive lead on other online retailers.. Even set to overtake WalMart by 2020!

I would have thought they'd have overtaken WalMart by now, with Amazon being global and WalMart being US only? Or is it not just US?
Terrible news.
shame as tcb don't do amazon.
thequid89

I would have thought they'd have overtaken WalMart by now, with Amazon … I would have thought they'd have overtaken WalMart by now, with Amazon being global and WalMart being US only? Or is it not just US?

I think Walmart own ASDA do they not? and probably a hell of a lot more smaller companies.
chasmi49

.Yes I forgot that but it is more widely advertised now

I thought Nectar were only on Ebay a few months

Edited by: "IWOOTN" 18th Jan 2013
fanpages

^ This, & the introduction of their own MasterCard/Loyalty Points … ^ This, & the introduction of their own MasterCard/Loyalty Points scheme:[ http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/cobrandcard/marketing.html ](You can also gain points shopping elsewhere).

It's hardly new - they've had a credit card with similar schemes for years now.
Companies have to pay the likes of TCB, maybe they have to pay for Nectar too, They are going to have a tax bill aren't? Maybe they need to cover costs
Thil

No they've been linked for at least a couple of years. In 2012 you no … No they've been linked for at least a couple of years. In 2012 you no longer needed to go directly through Nectar site, just needed to register your Nectar number on your ebay account.

Do the two schemes not operate separately? I.e. You earn 10 points from a £9.99 purchase direct from eBay, then you earn another 20 points if you bought it via Nectar eStores?

I know that's how Sainsburys work. You get nectar points direct from Sainsburys via their website, then also points from Nectar if you buy via them.

mclovin9091

I think Walmart own ASDA do they not? and probably a hell of a lot more … I think Walmart own ASDA do they not? and probably a hell of a lot more smaller companies.

They do own ASDA yes. They are the worlds biggest retailer, and aren't that far off being the worlds biggest company full stop (3rd place behind 2 oil companies).
Edited by: "callum9999" 18th Jan 2013
thesaint

I guess one of Amazon's main competitors is play.com.With them packing … I guess one of Amazon's main competitors is play.com.With them packing up, there's no need to offer incentives to shop with them.

fanpages

^ This, & the introduction of their own MasterCard/Loyalty Points … ^ This, & the introduction of their own MasterCard/Loyalty Points scheme:[ http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/cobrandcard/marketing.html ](You can also gain points shopping elsewhere).

callum9999

It's hardly new - they've had a credit card with similar schemes for … It's hardly new - they've had a credit card with similar schemes for years now.

I didn't refer to it as such. Amazon (UK) do.

You may have seen my comment about the scheme here:

[ hotukdeals.com/dea…770 ]
thesaint

fanpages

callum9999

It's hardly new - they've had a credit card with similar schemes for … It's hardly new - they've had a credit card with similar schemes for years now.

"The introduction of" implies new. I was merely pointing out that the Amazon credit card has existed for god knows how many years already and has always offered some variation of loyalty points for spending, so I don't personally think it has any connection with them deciding to leave Nectar. (Though this does look like I'm just nit-picking!)
Im hoping that Quidco is gonna jump back in bed with Amazon now that nectars with ebay and they've dropped quidco!
Fellows

It's a shame how companies are dropping these bonuses. Top Cashback won't … It's a shame how companies are dropping these bonuses. Top Cashback won't be working with eBay soon either.

Those cashback sites are sort of a hack anyway. Affiliate cash is designed to reward third parties for sending customers to those businesses, it's a form of advertising if you like. The fact that customers get commission for their own purchases probably doesn't sit well with a lot of retailers.
Edited by: "mcuk" 19th Jan 2013
mcuk

Fellows It's a shame how companies are dropping these bonuses. Top … Fellows It's a shame how companies are dropping these bonuses. Top Cashback won't be working with eBay soon either.Those cashback sites are sort of a hack anyway. Affiliate cash is designed to reward third parties for sending customers to those businesses, it's a form of advertising if you like. The fact that customers get commission for their own purchases probably doesn't sit well with a lot of retailers.Edited By: mcuk on Jan 19, 2013 00:40

Of course it's a form of advertising, they know exactly what they're doing, as they require pre approval before accepting which site ti be affiliated but cashback sites are very popular and that helps the retailer obtain links for a higher position on search engines.
callum9999

"The introduction of" implies new. I was merely pointing out that the … "The introduction of" implies new. I was merely pointing out that the Amazon credit card has existed for god knows how many years already and has always offered some variation of loyalty points for spending, so I don't personally think it has any connection with them deciding to leave Nectar. (Though this does look like I'm just nit-picking!)

Yes, it does, or you are just annoyed at me for posting a "First World problems" image in another thread.

[ hotukdeals.com/mis…616 ]
realfriendlyman

Of course it's a form of advertising, they know exactly what they're … Of course it's a form of advertising, they know exactly what they're doing, as they require pre approval before accepting which site ti be affiliated but cashback sites are very popular and that helps the retailer obtain links for a higher position on search engines.

What I am trying to say it's a short term hack. In the good times retailers will try all sorts of things to boost sales - even if they are subsidising purchases with ad sales. When they want to tighten their belts however, they'll look to these cashback sites and see a third party who's unnecessarily getting commission for paying their customers' commission. It's cheaper and easier to just offer a straight discount or you get more control by setting up your own reward system (like that Amazon credit card).
For Thil - word of caution - I had around half of that then was told by a person on a checkout that if you lose your card (which had happened to her), anybody at all can redeem the points ... I decided it was too risky and went on a spending spree. (Am also not happy re Amazon.)
Idni

For Thil - word of caution - I had around half of that then was told by a … For Thil - word of caution - I had around half of that then was told by a person on a checkout that if you lose your card (which had happened to her), anybody at all can redeem the points ... I decided it was too risky and went on a spending spree. (Am also not happy re Amazon.)

Thanks! I may do just that!!
armin
I have been with amazon UK for along time and love nectar points,we need more shops doing nectar not less.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions