Groups

Why i wouldnt buy a netbook ever again! (my experience)

speaking from experience

netbooks are quite good

if you are planning to use them on the go for a couple of mins (max 20-30mins)

I had a Samsung NC10 (one of the best netbooks, if not the best) which i promptly sold. i have also used my brothers acer netbook for a couple of days. anyway what ive noticed

- mouse pad /trackpad are far too small and too too sensitve

- after a couple of mins use your eyes begin to hurt / eyes squint (think about it some people prob use there laptops/netbook at night, uv had a hard day at work/school, been up for 10+ hours. and the last thing you want to do is be reading text which is equivalent to the fine print at the back of a warrnty leaflet!)
    (sure thing you can increase the text size, but it comes a bit of a bother if you end up doing this every time, not only that once you increase the text size the web page does not display in its entitity anymore and you then need to use the horizontal scrollbar to view the entire page)

- you really depend on your trackpack pgDn button, the page does load in its entireity. but to put it into contect on my 14" dell laptop on bbc news home page i only need to press the down button once to see the page from top to bottom, on the netbook you press the down button four times to get from the top to the bottom!

- my biggest qualm was that there is no-where to place your wrist, in effect your hand has to hover over the mousepad and buttons, - possible RSI??? after a while this began to hurt, really, really hurt!

im only in my twenties and have good vision, and no i dont have fat chip fingers!

and i found these beautiful netbooks all style and no substance (for my needs)

i hope those who have bought one enjoy theres, but its just a bit of info for those considering, as you probably know - most retailers dont accept returns on computers.

what i seriously recommend is using a friends for a bit, and see how you get on. or visit pc/worl and john lewis and play with one for at least TEN minutes, ask em to connect it to the net for you.

6 Comments

I made a choice to go for a netbook, the Samsung NC10 - had it a week and I love it. Mind you I don't really do things on it that push it's limitations, just a few redtube vids every nown again or something and a bit of 'web surfing'.

Trackpad and mouse buttons do take some getting used to, but after a while you get used to it along with the text size - and I'm no Tiny Tim - I'm a relative large caveman.

Sounds like you made the wrong choice and needed a laptop not a netbook.

Netbooks are great for an extremely portable communications device - stick a usb wireless modem in it if travelling on a train and you're good to go.

I bought one and after a week I hardly use my desktop or other laptop now.

My only issue with it is the screen can only display so much, so it's not as comfortable at times on certain websites - and HUKD is one of those, the text sizing and spacing is too far apart for my liking. I spend alot of time scrolling on here.

Redtube vids - say it loud say it proud

Admin

Unexpired

I got my Dell Mini 9 for £99. Agreed, the keyboard, mouse may well be a bit on the small side but I doubt if it was designed for prolonged daily use and I enjoy using it when ever I need it.

As for the RSI thing, its not just netbooks that give you RSI....an enjoyable subscription to NUTS magazine will fast track the RSI, so using a netbook that has a small keyboard isnt really an issue after that...lol :w00t:

Banned

StevenA2000_uk;4551593

I got my Dell Mini 9 for £99. Agreed, the keyboard, mouse may well be a … I got my Dell Mini 9 for £99. Agreed, the keyboard, mouse may well be a bit on the small side but I doubt if it was designed for prolonged daily use and I enjoy using it when ever I need it. As for the RSI thing, its not just netbooks that give you RSI....an enjoyable subscription to NUTS magazine will fast track the RSI, so using a netbook that has a small keyboard isnt really an issue after that...lol :w00t:

yep got the same one... netbook that is!

I use it like 2/3times a week to catch up on iplayer when i am eating diner in the living room... odd surfing here and there... but some parts of the keyboard are really small... you could try getting one of those roll out keyboards? also you can turn the sensitivity of the trackpad down... and the font of mine is the same as on my 22" monitor... i think you have a dud setting to make the fonts so small... also trackpad saves the day again with the horizontal and vertical scrolling...

in no way do i use it for prolonged periods but surfing and mobility is great... oh wait... that's what it was designed for!

But I can see its faults too! nice round up.... so have you got rid of yours OP?

Original Poster

yes got shot of mine.

Netbooks are good, but rather than impulse buy, i just thought people ought to check em out properly first and see if its worth buying. afterall laptops and netbooks alike, for most people are long term purchases months>years. And if you are identifying flaws like i did, within days of purchase then something is def wrong!
    not only that most netbooks/laptops are non-returnable which means you are lumbured with it, or sell it on ebay for a considerable loss.

not anti netbook in any way, in fact i realy liked the size of the thing and its portability, but that was all really.
    Inspiron 12, and NC20 both with 12.1" are out, i might see if they are worth fretting over!
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Cheer me up please?1017
      2. It is a Yorkshire pudding wrap.1631
      3. Jaffa quake as McVitie's cuts pack sizes - BBC News55
      4. Any PS4 News Here29313806

See more discussions