Why is baby formula milk so expensive? ??

Found 13th Mar 2016
hi

I just want to know if anyone has an idea as to why baby formula milk is so expensive? I know the government try to encourage breast feeding but still it stops promotions on any stage 1 milk. this is so annoying. ..anyone know if it's the companies making the money or is it extra government tax?
Community Updates
AskBabyBaby Food
45 Comments
Because it's essential, like utilities, public transport and fuel.
Bitty is free
AFAIK You can get baby formula milk on prescription if there is a need
Therefore, in basic terms, if your have to pass specific tests (for human consumption) and produce a product "to make life easier" why wouldn't you make those people pay over the odds for a product that's not really required?
willhay555

Because it's essential, like utilities, public transport and fuel.

Essential? All other living creatures on the planet seem to survive fine with none of the above.
Btw the other day I noticed someone of Freecycle giving away a 1/3 tin. They said it didn't agree with their baby. Any takers........?
Banned
Items such as this will always be sold at an inflated price.

Personally though I don't consider it expensive its to feed my child and Its worth every penny. If people cant afford to feed their child then they shouldn't have children.

Babies should be breast feed anyway so the cost of formula should not matter and with the women that really cannot breast feed due to medical problems formula should be heavily subsidised or free.
Advertising, research & development, and also because if you can't breastfeed, formula is your only other realistic option. I don't think it's expensive though tbh. I think we used to spend around £40/£45 a month. I don't think that's a lot to pay to a feed a baby each and every day.
Banned
Aiden1512

I don't think that's a lot to pay to a feed a baby each and every day.

Yeah but when youve more important things to buy like cigs, alcohol and heroin then the formula will be expensive

You have to think about the poor parents with their habits
Banned
Aiden1512

I think we used to spend around £40/£45 a month. I don't think that's a l … I think we used to spend around £40/£45 a month. I don't think that's a lot to pay to a feed a baby each and every day.

Its used to cost us around £40/£45 a day to feed our little angel Winston.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/de/06/f9/de06f935d21eea88cde1f9a3c29c1d4e.jpg
one_way

Yeah but when youve more important things to buy like cigs, alcohol and … Yeah but when youve more important things to buy like cigs, alcohol and heroin then the formula will be expensive :DYou have to think about the poor parents with their habits

X)

I know right. If they think milk is expensive, wait till the child starts eating solids and does nothing but eat all day, it cost a lot more then.
one_way

oO
Banned
Aiden1512

oO

That was him at 4 weeks, hes goona break some hearts when he's older
Banned
and some benches X)
one_way

and some benches X)

That's mean X) poor kid
Banned
Aiden1512

That's mean X) poor kid

Dont worry we getting him a trainer

He ate his last nike ones
A lot of "people should breast feed" but what about those who can't? My wife couldn't breast feed either of our 2 and she felt like a bad enough mum with all the bad press and negative views to formula fed babies.

one_way

Dont worry we getting him a trainer :)He ate his last nike ones

Could've bought 2 tubs of formula instead of wasting your money on Nike. Tut tut (_;)
Banned
g8spur

A lot of "people should breast feed" but what about those who can't? My … A lot of "people should breast feed" but what about those who can't? My wife couldn't breast feed either of our 2 and she felt like a bad enough mum with all the bad press and negative views to formula fed babies.

Which is why fomula should be heavily discounted or free for those women that unfortunately cant.

or the men could have some sort of surgery so they can do the breast feeding?
Banned
Aiden1512

Could've bought 2 tubs of formula instead of wasting your money on Nike. … Could've bought 2 tubs of formula instead of wasting your money on Nike. Tut tut (_;)

Sorry I actually spelt Nicks wrong there
one_way

Sorry I actually spelt Nicks wrong there

Never heard of them X)
Banned
Aiden1512

Never heard of them X)

They were like HiTec but for the really really poor people X)

Banned
We were that poor my dad nicked some nicks for me from the shoemarket and I had to go around for 8 months wearing 2 left trainers
one_way

We were that poor my dad nicked some nicks for me from the shoemarket and … We were that poor my dad nicked some nicks for me from the shoemarket and I had to go around for 8 months wearing 2 left trainers

I don't know how to reply to this

one_way

Yeah but when youve more important things to buy like cigs, alcohol and … Yeah but when youve more important things to buy like cigs, alcohol and heroin then the formula will be expensive :DYou have to think about the poor parents with their habits

1. Cut drugs with formula (it's probaby still cheaper than baking powder)
2. Sell.
3. Profit.....
Banned
Shengis

1. Cut drugs with formula (it's probaby still cheaper than baking … 1. Cut drugs with formula (it's probaby still cheaper than baking powder)2. Sell.3. Profit.....

Last time I did coke that way I got a nipple suck up my nose
Shengis

Essential? All other living creatures on the planet seem to survive fine … Essential? All other living creatures on the planet seem to survive fine with none of the above.

HAHAHAHAHA!!!

Awesome argument.

You're a creationist, right?

The highest form of evolution on the planet compared to animals.

I've just seen a leopard bemoan his wifi signal on animal planet.
Edited by: "willhay555" 13th Mar 2016
If you can't breastfeed you get the formula free ..well where I live you do, you pick it up at the health visiting clinics it's also much cheaper there if your just choosing to formula feed, when my youngest was little it was £4.50 a tub
Banned
sofia_the_last

If you can't breastfeed you get the formula free ..well where I live you … If you can't breastfeed you get the formula free ..well where I live you do, you pick it up at the health visiting clinics it's also much cheaper there if your just choosing to formula feed, when my youngest was little it was £4.50 a tub

Let me guess Scotland?
willhay555

HAHAHAHAHA!!!Awesome argument.You're a creationist, right?The highest … HAHAHAHAHA!!!Awesome argument.You're a creationist, right?The highest form of evolution on the planet compared to animals.I've just seen a leopard bemoan his wifi signal on animal planet.

I've heard a bear can survive on its own urine.....

Edit: "The highest form of evolution on the planet"
I wonder if an ant has the same thoughts? Think MIB
Edited by: "Shengis" 13th Mar 2016
one_way

So we finally get top see a picture of your much bigged up daughter

She's a cutie pie. Emphasise on the pie
search human milk for human babies.you can get (and donate) breastmilk. formula is 4th on the list of ways to feed a baby.
It's expensive because the source companies know they have a captive market of women who many of them don't wish to breast feed
Some of these comments are brilliant
A tub of formula (Cow &Gate) will make 10 pints, so that's 85p per pint. I don't think it's particularly expensive although I work and, as stated, there are sometimes ways to get it at a slightly reduced cost. It does aggrieve me that people often assume that all women are able to breastfeed and that it is a lifestyle choice that some mothers don't. They sometimes simply can't breastfeed, as is the case with my wife. It doesn't make women bad mothers.
scrumpypaul

A tub of formula (Cow &Gate) will make 10 pints, so that's 85p per pint. … A tub of formula (Cow &Gate) will make 10 pints, so that's 85p per pint. I don't think it's particularly expensive although I work and, as stated, there are sometimes ways to get it at a slightly reduced cost. It does aggrieve me that people often assume that all women are able to breastfeed and that it is a lifestyle choice that some mothers don't. They sometimes simply can't breastfeed, as is the case with my wife. It doesn't make women bad mothers.

​Some **** qaungo decided that breast milk was the way to go and that it was a good idea not to educate the masses on how to bottle feed.
This kinda backfires when you're in A&E at 4am with you wife in agony and a half starved newborn. God bless Tescos because it was the only place I could get baby milk and all the kit I needed.
With the Chinese babies milk formula scandal in 2008 and 2013, the demand for foreign imported milk is at it's highest. Meaning the manufacturers can continue to charge premium prices for their products. Also there is little to no competition with limited amount of domestic manufacturer's of baby products. Furthermore many of the supermarkets continue to increase prices on non-essential or branded products to offset the low costs on subsistence essential items such as bread, cheese, eggs, flour etc.

If you're looking for additional reductions try joining the various Supermarkets (i.e. ASDA) & Retailers (Boots) Babies Clubs or online retailers (Amazon's subscribe & save) for offers, price reductions and free samples.
one_way

Let me guess Scotland?

Got it in one
Original Poster
sofia_the_last

If you can't breastfeed you get the formula free ..well where I live you … If you can't breastfeed you get the formula free ..well where I live you do, you pick it up at the health visiting clinics it's also much cheaper there if your just choosing to formula feed, when my youngest was little it was £4.50 a tub

​really where is that? you are joking yeah?
Original Poster
kester76

​Some **** qaungo decided that breast milk was the way to go and that it w … ​Some **** qaungo decided that breast milk was the way to go and that it was a good idea not to educate the masses on how to bottle feed.This kinda backfires when you're in A&E at 4am with you wife in agony and a half starved newborn. God bless Tescos because it was the only place I could get baby milk and all the kit I needed.

​spot on I do think there is no way enough info tips etc to make bottle feeding easier. like for example taking a thermos up for night feeds etc
The price high mainly due to marketing. That are selling a replacement to a free natural product (which is better), if they sold it cheap people think cheap = poor quality.
Buy selling it at a high price people think it's better then the alternatives.
sumz01

​spot on I do think there is no way enough info tips etc to make bottle f … ​spot on I do think there is no way enough info tips etc to make bottle feeding easier. like for example taking a thermos up for night feeds etc

When I spoke to the midwife about it she told me that originally a rep from the baby food company used to visit the hospital and explain all these tips and methods to expectant mums but the government stopped them doing it. It confused me how I was supposed to keep the baby power completely sterile until someone pointed out that it was the boiling water that killed any bugs in the powder. Best buy was the little pre-mixed cartons that were a life saver when your little one was hungry and needed feeding right away.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants