Why is buying a laptop such a nightmare

Found 21st Aug 2017
Okay, it was a bit of a dramatic subject header, but I'm slowly losing the will to live.

Looking to buy a laptop to replace my self build desktop. Granted I built it 7 years ago with 16gb memory, 2tb drive, i5 2nd generation and a fair standard graphics card) It has had for the past 4 years a 128gb SSD, and in honesty, I've not had any issues with slow down - unlike the laptops I've bought in the past. Although this maybe down to buying low end spec laptops.

Space is now of the essence so I need to get a laptop but I also need said laptop to be able to do everything I currently do with no slow down or speed issues.

I do a lot of video & audio production but no gaming.

Want something that will last a couple of years and I'm not adverse to buying a Mac....

Any advice, suggestions gratefully recieved
Community Updates
Ask
10 Comments
You just need to up your budget by atleast x1.5 over a similar desktop budget. Probably an i7 with a m2 drive and decent GPU but it's going to cost.
Because laptops are limited by weight and power use rather than just cost

So at the same price laptops range from machines that are lightweight and have great battery life but only sufficient power for normal use for a few years, to powerful workstation and gaming machines with loads of power that are heavy and noisy.
Sounds like someone has been going through the Dell website I remember the last time going through speccing a laptop - just sooo many options, it was a right pain in the backside.
What's your budget?

Sounds like your looking at best part of a grand to get similar specs to what you'll be happy with.

You'd need a good i5 if not i7, a big SSD or two drive sets (SSD OS drive and hdd storage), a decent amount of ram and probably a dedicated gpu for the video editing.
Bigfootpete21st Aug

Sounds like someone has been going through the Dell website I remember …Sounds like someone has been going through the Dell website I remember the last time going through speccing a laptop - just sooo many options, it was a right pain in the backside.

Haven't started looking at the Dell site - have tended to avoid Dell in the past. But I could be swayed given the right spec
joedastudd21st Aug

What's your budget?Sounds like your looking at best part of a grand to get …What's your budget?Sounds like your looking at best part of a grand to get similar specs to what you'll be happy with.You'd need a good i5 if not i7, a big SSD or two drive sets (SSD OS drive and hdd storage), a decent amount of ram and probably a dedicated gpu for the video editing.

Budget - not unlimited but I know I'll need about £1,000 to get something decent and fairly future proof.

Ideally need a SSD - have got an external USB3 desktop 4tb already.

RAM wise - at least 8gb - more like 16gb.

And thats where I need the help - what GPU - I realise I could spend £1500 on a laptop but the spec could be the same as one costing £1200.

In honesty my current setup albeit 7 years old is still as good as it was on day one - I just haven't got the room
soof2k2 h, 7 m ago

Haven't started looking at the Dell site - have tended to avoid Dell in …Haven't started looking at the Dell site - have tended to avoid Dell in the past. But I could be swayed given the right spec

It's hard to find a better spec for the money. My last two laptops have been Dell, my current one is from 2009 so really showing it's age. The screen is still fantastic, the battery sucked (it died a long time ago), the hard drive need replacing, but it's an old connector so would somehow need an adapter but it wouldn't fit with a new drive...
Bigfootpete10 m ago

It's hard to find a better spec for the money. My last two laptops have …It's hard to find a better spec for the money. My last two laptops have been Dell, my current one is from 2009 so really showing it's age. The screen is still fantastic, the battery sucked (it died a long time ago), the hard drive need replacing, but it's an old connector so would somehow need an adapter but it wouldn't fit with a new drive...

You got PATA connectors on a 2009 laptop ?
Bigfootpete1 h, 7 m ago

It's hard to find a better spec for the money. My last two laptops have …It's hard to find a better spec for the money. My last two laptops have been Dell, my current one is from 2009 so really showing it's age. The screen is still fantastic, the battery sucked (it died a long time ago), the hard drive need replacing, but it's an old connector so would somehow need an adapter but it wouldn't fit with a new drive...

I've seen an Acer and HP - about £1300 - but I do like Asus as my current laptop (2012) cost about £300 and at the time customer reviews were favourable for the brand
After taking some advice from this thread - checked the Dell site, had a chat with sales online, and they suggested this;

dell.com/uk/…top

Impressions/Opinions please?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants