Why is disaronno so expensive?

Found 11th Oct 2017
Love the drink, tried some cheaper and not found one I like, just wanna see what people think,

Current best deal is morrisons 16£ for 700ml, so £22.29 for a litre, /40 (shots of 25ml) = 57.25P, and tbf that's pretty weak, looking at 50ml really, 1.145£

I know alchol costs but when you look at it in the measure does it really look like 57p worth?

Currently 16£ for a litre of smirnoff vodka, so considering that disaronno is weak compared 28% compared to smirnoffs 37.5%, the watered down spirit seems very expensive

I am tight and buy it when on offer but its a shame as would love to drink this stuff daily lol ( i don't actually like alchol so i drink a watered down version )

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
13 Comments

Cost of Nuts 🥜

grey goose costs £39 for 700ml

more expensive than smirnoff or even supermarket vodka

its not always about the alcohol content

There are versions in Portugal much cheaper.

Original Poster

adamspencer9529 m ago

grey goose costs £39 for 700mlmore expensive than smirnoff or even …grey goose costs £39 for 700mlmore expensive than smirnoff or even supermarket vodkaits not always about the alcohol content

would have to ask an expert but i would put money on it that the alcohol is standard quality, not cheap but not expensive like 'grey goose' disaronno uses all the flavorings to disguise the alchol so it be bit pointless using good quality absolute alcohol to make disaronno

I'm not complaining it is what it is, they sell it for what they can get for it, just wanted to hear some opinions

Original Poster

pooool23 m ago

There are versions in Portugal much cheaper.

true my parents picked up litre bottles in tennerife for like 10 euro, it tasted the same so it was genuine

Aldi do a cheaper one maybe try that?

whelan1893 h, 41 m ago

would have to ask an expert but i would put money on it that the alcohol …would have to ask an expert but i would put money on it that the alcohol is standard quality, not cheap but not expensive like 'grey goose' disaronno uses all the flavorings to disguise the alchol so it be bit pointless using good quality absolute alcohol to make disaronnoI'm not complaining it is what it is, they sell it for what they can get for it, just wanted to hear some opinions

I think because of competition. Grey Goose, despite all the marketing, is just a premium vodka. It competes with all other vodkas. Same with most other spirits, there isn't much room to jack up the price without some claim of being purer, stronger, etc. Disaronno is different because like you asked, who are the competitors? If you want that drink, it's either Disaronno or some knockoff imitator, so they have more leeway to charge more.

It's not a common drink so there isn't any other named brand competing with them to keep the price low.

Lidl do a decent one which is worth trying

Aldi amaretto is the closest alternative, lidl isn't as good and Tesco's is trash. Aldi is only about £7 too

Lidl Armilar Amaretto is £9.99, the same size as Disaronno (70cl), the same strength (28% ABV) and tastes great.

Other versions from the likes of Aldi, Tesco, Asda etc don't come close. They're often only 22% ABV or less. However they're only around £6

My suggestion is to try the Lidl version first, and in the unlikely event you don't like it, try the others from different supermarkets.
Edited by: "preecey" 12th Oct 2017

Just to be precise... It's an Italian liqueur, not Spanish or Portuguese.
Edited by: "hearts22" 12th Oct 2017

Original Poster

preecey1 h, 12 m ago

Lidl Armilar Amaretto is £9.99, the same size as Disaronno (70cl), the …Lidl Armilar Amaretto is £9.99, the same size as Disaronno (70cl), the same strength (28% ABV) and tastes great.Other versions from the likes of Aldi, Tesco, Asda etc don't come close. They're often only 22% ABV or less. However they're only around £6My suggestion is to try the Lidl version first, and in the unlikely event you don't like it, try the others from different supermarkets.

i did try this one not fond, i have heard so much about the aldi one so going to have to drive there on saturday to pick one up

It tastes like battenburg
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants