Why is footage from my Xiaomi Yi action camera occasionally lagging during playback?

Found 31st May 2015
I have been filming some high resolution videos with this action camera (1080p 60fps/ 720p 120fps) and like the title says, there is a fair bit of lag when I play them on a PC. The 1080p 30fps has no such lag.

I don't really know what the problem is as my computer has a high spec (I5 4690k, 8gb ram, gtx 970) so shouldn't have a problem with playing it.

The micro sd card is Lexar 64GB High Performance Micro SDXC UHS-I U1 Card 300x - 45MB/s, so I don't think this would be an issue either. Any ideas, thanks?
Community Updates
9 Comments
Those cameras cost like £20. You get what you pay for, although they do have rave reviews.
What software are you playing it back with? It could be just screen tearing, have you tried it on a difference machine, the advantage of high frame rates is when you slow it down after anyway.
dcx_badass

What software are you playing it back with? It could be just screen … What software are you playing it back with? It could be just screen tearing, have you tried it on a difference machine, the advantage of high frame rates is when you slow it down after anyway.

Hi, thanks, just windows media player and QuickTime. So long as its not the fault of the camera, I'm not too fussed. Thanks
GeorgeR010

Hi, thanks, just windows media player and QuickTime. So long as its not … Hi, thanks, just windows media player and QuickTime. So long as its not the fault of the camera, I'm not too fussed. Thanks

Try with VLC.
videolan.org/vlc…tml
dcx_badass

Try with VLC.http://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.en_GB.html

In addition to this, copy the file to your computer, to remove and lag induced there. Also check windows power options, even if its a desktop, since some of the power saving modes reduce processor speed, I had this problem with my OC 4770K being reduced from 4.6GHz to 700Mhz and the difference was noticeable in everything.
It's windows media player. It seems to process the footage poorly and sometimes needs to be watches a second time to clear up any lag.

Vlc player does a much better job.

My yi camera has got the dreaded won't connect issue to my phone since 1.5.
kos1c

It's windows media player. It seems to process the footage poorly and … It's windows media player. It seems to process the footage poorly and sometimes needs to be watches a second time to clear up any lag. Vlc player does a much better job. My yi camera has got the dreaded won't connect issue to my phone since 1.5.

Ouch, what have you done about it?
GeorgeR010

Uninstall the apo and run the original firmware and it works. But annoyingly I has flipped my video footage previously and the original firmware doesn't have an option to rotate back to normal.
GeorgeR010

Seem to have fixed my issue.

I downloaded the English apk for 1.5, and did a factory reset on the camera (without using the app).

http://en.miui.com/thread-93465-1-1.html

Have to sign up and make a comment for the download link to show.

To factory reset the camera; hold the power and wifi button till you hear a beep then let go of buttons and the camera will restart with factory settings.

Default password is 1234567890

Hopefully you won't need to do the steps. But my camera just wanted to be fussy. >
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants