Why Is Game Installation from Disc Slow On Xbox One?

Found 16th Sep 2015
Right I have a PS4 I played many games and never had a problem with it. When I put a disc in for a new game into the PS4 it will literally install the game from the hard drive within 3-5 minutes. The update will download in the background.

I got an Xbox One for Forza 5, FIFA 15, Forza 6, Halo 5 etc. I just put the FIFA 15 disc in and it took around 17 minutes to install the game (without update). I put the game disc in for Forza Horizon 2 and it took 31 minutes to install the game (without the update).

Is the Xbox One like this? Also isn't Microsoft aware of this or any sort of dashboard update?
Community Updates
7 Comments
Unfortunately thats the way its always been. Pain in the butt, aside from that its a great console
reddevil2015

Unfortunately thats the way its always been. Pain in the butt, aside from … Unfortunately thats the way its always been. Pain in the butt, aside from that its a great console

I see the dashboard update coming soon which makes things faster by 50% hope the game installation is one of them!
Its the one downside to the Xbox One, the installation time. Seems to be a reversal of previous gen technology where updates on the 360 took seconds to Download and PS3 updates took hours.
Allegedly, if you go offline and decline updates, the X1 installs much quicker but who wants to **** about doing that?
I just set it to install and then go do something else for 20 minutes.
Well 20-30minutes is not bad. Can do something else while that happens.

Now I dont need two next gen consoles. One has to go!

Ps4 better hardware and faster at everything. Street fighter and uncharted is only thing interesting. Got 10 friends to play online especially destiny. Psn slow at downloading games.

Xbox one hardware not good as ps4. Dashboard at moment feels like a step back but new dashboard coming soon. Awesome line up of games forza 5, forza horizon 2, forza 6, gears of war, recore, halo 5, halo wars. Then again only 5 of my family members got x1. Better support and xbox live!

My brother had no warranty on his xbox one and it had a dvd drive fault. Microsoft repaired it for free if this was other way round think Sony would have charged him

Im sold xbox one for me although I will miss Street fighter as its one of my childhood games!
stuarthanley

Its the one downside to the Xbox One, the installation time. Seems to be … Its the one downside to the Xbox One, the installation time. Seems to be a reversal of previous gen technology where updates on the 360 took seconds to Download and PS3 updates took hours.Allegedly, if you go offline and decline updates, the X1 installs much quicker but who wants to **** about doing that?I just set it to install and then go do something else for 20 minutes.

Yeah its weird how it has flipped like that (old gen to new gen) I would assume its because on the 360 it used to copy the image file directly (i.e. a single file copy) and on the ps3 it was extracting every file from the image which for many small file (something games have loads of) will be much slower. You most likely get a decent performance boost extracting the files as opposed to just copying the image but it means we have to wait a long time (halo ce anyone?) for the game to fully install
imagineS

Well 20-30minutes is not bad. Can do something else while that happens. … Well 20-30minutes is not bad. Can do something else while that happens. Now I dont need two next gen consoles. One has to go!Ps4 better hardware and faster at everything. Street fighter and uncharted is only thing interesting. Got 10 friends to play online especially destiny. Psn slow at downloading games.Xbox one hardware not good as ps4. Dashboard at moment feels like a step back but new dashboard coming soon. Awesome line up of games forza 5, forza horizon 2, forza 6, gears of war, recore, halo 5, halo wars. Then again only 5 of my family members got x1. Better support and xbox live!My brother had no warranty on his xbox one and it had a dvd drive fault. Microsoft repaired it for free if this was other way round think Sony would have charged him Im sold xbox one for me although I will miss Street fighter as its one of my childhood games!

I've got both and there is a layer of dust on the PS4. I just don't like it. The only thing keeping my interest is No Man's Sky but I'm sure that'll be a let down in the end.
imagineS

I see the dashboard update coming soon which makes things faster by 50% … I see the dashboard update coming soon which makes things faster by 50% hope the game installation is one of them!

Yeah hopefully mate
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants