Why is Hampshire called Hants?

23 replies
Found 21st May 2008
Exactly as the title says really ^ ! I understand how Hertfordshire is abbreviated to Herts etc, but where does Hants come from with Hampshire? Where does the T come from...and the N???!!!

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
23 Comments

Southampton ?

Original Poster

masterruckus;2149678

http://www.hants.gov.uk/abouthnt.htmlgoogle is your friend

What a genius you are! I thought it would cause a bit more discussion than that though lol. Thanks!!!

lol sorry bout that.. its usually to do with some invader changing the names of something back in the day..exciting stuff

masterruckus;2149724

lol sorry bout that.. its usually to do with some invader changing the … lol sorry bout that.. its usually to do with some invader changing the names of something back in the day..exciting stuff

I thought it must have been the Cartographer made a typing error when they first recorded the boundaries...
Easily done if your keyboard has the letters worn like what mine has...N next to M, P and T look very sinilar on a worm keyboard.:whistling:

I had an interview today and the address was down as ??? 1DJ...googled it ( after all GIYF) and it came up as a middle of a field...so I rang them and they gave me the post code of the property next door...ok....at interview, explained to me that long ago someone thought it would be a good idea to give the radio stations a postcode ending 1DJ (disk jockey), which was great until we got online mapping and GPS!!

well i live in Hampshire and i dont know why its called Hants:?

I'm a hampshire lass too and dont know why its called hants lol

Banned

Is it pants in Hants!

Mardyass;2150269

I'm a hampshire lass too and dont know why its called hants lol

where r u from in Hampshire?

Andover, you?

Mardyass;2150310

Andover, you?

Is that "Andover 2, you?"

edna_clouds;2150340

Is that Andover 2, you?

eh???:?

I meant I'm from Andover what about you? lol sorry for any confusion!

Mardyass;2150310

Andover, you?

Basingstoke

edna_clouds;2150340

Is that "Andover 2, you?"

Nope.".Andover your magazine...I've finished mine......." :roll:

rockyfella;2150359

Nope.".Andover your magazine...I've finished mine......." :roll:

lmao nice one:thumbsup:

julie 2;2150355

Basingstoke

not that far then:)

Mardyass;2150342

eh???:?I meant I'm from Andover what about you? lol sorry for any … eh???:?I meant I'm from Andover what about you? lol sorry for any confusion!

I knew what you meant but I've got my silly head on.....I've. been to Andover many a times..:thumbsup:

Mardyass;2150372

not that far then:)

No just down the road then.
I was born in A ndover and move to Basingstoke when i was one:thumbsup:

edna_clouds;2150373

I knew what you meant but I've got my silly head on.....I've. been to … I knew what you meant but I've got my silly head on.....I've. been to Andover many a times..:thumbsup:

and I'm in thick mode lol

julie 2;2150390

No just down the road then.I was born in A ndover and move to Basingstoke … No just down the road then.I was born in A ndover and move to Basingstoke when i was one:thumbsup:

was in basingstoke last week,got loads of bargains in primark lol :thumbsup:

found a 4 year old whilst I was there too,wasnt yours was he? haha

Mardyass;2150414

was in basingstoke last week,got loads of bargains in primark lol … was in basingstoke last week,got loads of bargains in primark lol :thumbsup:found a 4 year old whilst I was there too,wasnt yours was he? haha

yeah we got a primarks at last lol.
no not my 4 year old mine girls are 19 & 12 lol:-D

derived from the Old English Hantum plus Scir (meaning a district … derived from the Old English Hantum plus Scir (meaning a district governed from the settlement now known as Southampton)

I weren't far off then! :whistling:
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. word association Game74244922
    2. Meerkat Movies (2 for 1 Cinema Codes) | Official Trading Thread428114649
    3. The ultimate Sunday roast only £5.46 for 4 people at ASDA1889
    4. Anyone else bored of video gaming1321

See more discussions