Groups

why is it everytime u get straight with money something goes wrong and your back to square one?

just managed to clear a majority of my debts and now my car has died
    it needs a fuel pump which is gonna cost me £350 for a reconditioned one
    a cam chain probably £100 and some valves or something have got bent due to the cam chain being slack and the timing is well out

luckily my dads a mechanic so he is doing the work but i feel awful as he had to take a day of yesterday to make a start on it and he needs the money as he is self employed

i just dont know if its worth spending on and im worried if he finds more faults when he strips the engine down

so looks like i will have to go back in the red again

24 Comments

oh no :-(
    is your car worth more than the replacement parts?

Original Poster

cheerleader;5635300

oh no :-(is your car worth more than the replacement parts?

i would say its worth about £2000 but my dad said he doesnt know if there is any more damage yet and he is having a hell of a job getting some bolt of the pump

been without it nearly 2 weeks and its driving me mad and he doesnt know when he will be able to carry on with the work again as he is really busy at the moment :cry:

tell me about it we had to get new brakes and disc yesterday £373 !!! At least you will just have to pay for parts which is still bad enough hopefully your dad wont find anything else wrong with it

Yeh my pump has play in it, and my mechanic said it was sensible to replace it. I told him no. Its gutting when they snap how many miles had the car done?

Original Poster

umm not sure about 90000 i think i know the mileage was low for the year

its an import

Banned

count yourself lucky in some respects. a new cam belt can cost around £500 so £100 is a bargain!

£350 for a fuel pump sounds well ott though.

edjaned;5635414

umm not sure about 90000 i think i know the mileage was low for the … umm not sure about 90000 i think i know the mileage was low for the yearits an import

What car was it?

csiman;5635416

count yourself lucky in some respects. a new cam belt can cost around … count yourself lucky in some respects. a new cam belt can cost around £500 so £100 is a bargain!£350 for a fuel pump sounds well ott though.

Dependant on the car, not really. I new pump for my 306 your looking at £400 from Pug.

Original Poster

its a mitsubishi delica

edjaned;5635454

its a mitsubishi delica

Ok the belt on that chain is rated to 90,000 miles so it says so if thats in KM shouldn't of gone really. Usually according to a few google searches. Mine was changed @ 70 on my pug but its not a chain.

One mentioned here in post ]http//ww…tml 2.

Original Poster

thanks for that but mine is a chain like a bike chain

edjaned;5635504

thanks for that but mine is a chain like a bike chain

OH stupid google. :thumbsup:

Can't see the chain being that higher millage rated. I usually change that when I buy a new car.

What was it on when you got it?

Original Poster

cant remember but i dont do alot of mileage in it just popping to the shops and back really
    wish i had just changed it now we only had it about 9 months

edjaned;5635621

cant remember but i dont do alot of mileage in it just popping to the … cant remember but i dont do alot of mileage in it just popping to the shops and back reallywish i had just changed it now we only had it about 9 months

Its one of those things. I feel for you with cars. Spend over £800 basically rebuilding the front end of the car. :oops:

Original Poster

i know my dad has taken the head of so my fella thinks that may need new parts now too
    im sure my dad said it had bent a cylinder too
    i can see the cost spiraling
    the thing is we need a 7/8 seater with plenty of space in the boot and all the bigger cars are so expensive to buy

edjaned;5635678

i know my dad has taken the head of so my fella thinks that may need new … i know my dad has taken the head of so my fella thinks that may need new parts now tooim sure my dad said it had bent a cylinder tooi can see the cost spiralingthe thing is we need a 7/8 seater with plenty of space in the boot and all the bigger cars are so expensive to buy

I think you need to get your dad to have a good look around and see what else is on its way out, I.e the perishebles. Bushes, shocks, arms etc. Then look at the cost of how much tax insurance tyres etc. See how much the long run looks at. :cry:

Original Poster

i know all the tyres r good not long had them done and just paid £190 for tax last month
    my fella think we should buy everything now that needs replacing whilst the car is stripped just hope he manages to get the pump of

Banned

Adam2050;5635427

Dependant on the car, not really. I new pump for my 306 your looking at … Dependant on the car, not really. I new pump for my 306 your looking at £400 from Pug.

might be worth a punt on ebay then

fuel pump for a peugeot 306 is £32.99

Banned

Adam2050;5635480

Ok the belt on that chain is rated to 90,000 miles so it says so if thats … Ok the belt on that chain is rated to 90,000 miles so it says so if thats in KM shouldn't of gone really. Usually according to a few google searches. Mine was changed @ 70 on my pug but its not a chain.One mentioned here in post http://www.delica.ca/forum/how-do-you-know-if-you-need-a-new-timing-belt-2421.html 2.

you sure it wasnt a chain?

It might be called a cam belt but it is a chain generally or am I getting confused (not for the first time :-D)?

csiman;5636090

might be worth a punt on ebay thenfuel pump for a peugeot 306 is £32.99

Cheers not going to touch it though, depends one which make and model number it is. Mines a HDI, and was the Diesel pump not the fuel pump, and included the full kit with the water pump etc.

csiman;5636105

you sure it wasnt a chain?It might be called a cam belt but it is a chain … you sure it wasnt a chain?It might be called a cam belt but it is a chain generally or am I getting confused (not for the first time :-D)?

No mines definetly a belt a lot are belts. Mine was getting tore up by someone not attaching the plastic cover correctly and the slight offset it runs on due to the pump:thumbsup:

f10na;5635338

tell me about it we had to get new brakes and disc yesterday £373 !!! At … tell me about it we had to get new brakes and disc yesterday £373 !!! At least you will just have to pay for parts which is still bad enough hopefully your dad wont find anything else wrong with it

You've been had, parts are around £100, with an hour for labour.

Oh hun I do feel for you, it's so disheartening when you feel like you're making headway only to suffer a setback- hang in there and try not to get too down xx

peodude;5636452

You've been had, parts are around £100, with an hour for labour.

Depends what they had done and what car it is. But does seem a little pricey even for all 4 discs and pads. Bet it was kwik fit.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. I have 2 spare netflix slots and a spotify share.917
      2. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19047185
      3. The HUKD home for Star Trek: Discovery1627
      4. Xbox One - Buying from Other Regions *WITH* A VPN (Virtual Private Network)64491

See more discussions