Groups

Why is it more expensive to post a parcel from a town PO than a village PO?

I usually post parcels from my village Post Office, but as it close's at 12:00pm I'll use the nearby town's Post Office if I need to send a parcel a.s.a.p and if I'm going there anyway.

Anywhoo, games and DVD's usually cost 90pence 1st class at the village, but in town it costs £1.65!!! Why!? Are village Post Offices able to offer cheaper P&P charges to try and keep you from using the bigger Post Offices or something?

17 Comments

Banned

royal mail prices are across the board, obviously the scales at the post office are not set correctly

I suspect the village post office dont bother to check the size for the "large letter charge" and that they are undercharging you by error.alternatively the town one are overcharging by not understanding this rule.

postal charges are not determined by individual post offices rather by size/weight.

If they're charging you £1.65 instead of 90p, that means that they're putting them through as packet rate rather than large letter rate.

Check all of your parcels in front of them to prove that they fit through the large letter guide (think it's 25mm thick)

Because you paid for Recorded signed for.

90p+75p (recorded) = £1.65

emi;5506707

If they're charging you £1.65 instead of 90p, that means that they're … If they're charging you £1.65 instead of 90p, that means that they're putting them through as packet rate rather than large letter rate.Check all of your parcels in front of them to prove that they fit through the large letter guide (think it's 25mm thick)

:thumbsup: Correct - it is 25mm.

Original Poster

emi;5506707

If they're charging you £1.65 instead of 90p, that means that they're … If they're charging you £1.65 instead of 90p, that means that they're putting them through as packet rate rather than large letter rate.Check all of your parcels in front of them to prove that they fit through the large letter guide (think it's 25mm thick)

That makes sense - the guys at the village PO always check the size of my parcel, but I don't think I've ever seen them check them in town. They didn't today anyway... :whistling:

Anywhoo, I rarely use the town Post Office, but it's good to know now - thanks!

Rhys135;5506772

Anywhoo, I rarely use the town Post Office, but it's good to know now - … Anywhoo, I rarely use the town Post Office, but it's good to know now - thanks!

uuummm I don't think any of the other responses are correct. If you had to pay exactly £1.65, the only valid answer is that you paid for recorded delivery. 90p+75p (recorded) = £1.65

Yep - they will be using/failing to use the size checker.

Banned

Slash;5506864

uuummm I don't think any of the other responses are correct. If you had … uuummm I don't think any of the other responses are correct. If you had to pay exactly £1.65, the only valid answer is that you paid for recorded delivery. 90p+75p (recorded) = £1.65

made me titter - lol

Original Poster

Slash;5506864

uuummm I don't think any of the other responses are correct. If you had … uuummm I don't think any of the other responses are correct. If you had to pay exactly £1.65, the only valid answer is that you paid for recorded delivery. 90p+75p (recorded) = £1.65

There was no Recorded Delivery sticker on the parcel when I saw her put it away and no indication of it on my receipt either.

Slash;5506864

lol, or perhaps the OP meant £1.62 (instead of £1.65) which means that all the other responses are correct :roll:

Rhys135;5506907

There was no Recorded Delivery sticker on the parcel when I saw her put … There was no Recorded Delivery sticker on the parcel when I saw her put it away and no indication of it on my receipt either.

The only reason I'm so sure is I actually went and checked the prices for you. Nothing else would add up to £1.65 other than being sent Recorded.

]http//ww…029

Slash;5506955

The only reason I'm so sure is [COLOR="Red"]I actually went and checked … The only reason I'm so sure is [COLOR="Red"]I actually went and checked the prices for you[/COLOR]. Nothing else would add up to £1.65 other than being sent Recorded. ]http://www.royalmail.com/portal/rm/content1?mediaId=50800722&catId=400029

But the OP didn't say where his village and town post offices are :?

You must be psychic ;-)

You can argue all you want emi and nitpick my writing. But obviously I meant I went to the website and found the prices for him/her.

does it not say on the receipt larger letter or parcel?

Slash;5507008

You can argue all you want emi and nitpick my writing. But obviously I … You can argue all you want emi and nitpick my writing. But obviously I meant I went to the website and found the prices for him/her.

sorry hun, I wasn't nitpicking, just being daft whilst passing the last 30 mins at work x

Banned

90p - 250g large letter

£1.62 - 250g packet

£1.65 - 250g large letter plus recorded

guess the OP has their price wrong and has been charged £1.62, not £1.65

I always get charged 90p for my dvds / games and thats in a padded enevelope.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Argos 3 for 2 reserving early44
      2. DashCam Recommendation With Front And Rear Camera Built In22
      3. £1500 55 inch 4K TV56
      4. SCS add ons... are they worth it??48

See more discussions