Why is it that DDR2 memory has gone up so much in price?

Was looking at 4gb for a custom build which used to be about £35. Now the minimum I can find is around the £50 mark...surely with ddr3 becoming more popular the price should have dropped....

...anyone know the reason for this?

11 Comments

Pound in freefall?

Original Poster

But most other components havent seen a rise.

Memory has always been like this i thought, isnt it linked to oil or something, im probably talking rubbish !

The pound hasn't helped, but you can look at what has happened to DDR now compared to DDR2 - DDR3 is starting to come down to more reasonable levels and as such DDR2 will slowly start creeping up. I can't see anyone lopping silly amounts of money off now, unless they're a clearance item.

Original Poster

hmm maybe it has...ive only been interested in custom build pcs for about 6 months and have only ever seen it at the cheaper price! Was just surprised to see it happen when new technology is out now.

Many years ago when used to build PC's memory was ridiculous money, you could buy a 486 motherboard for £70 but 4 Mbytes .... yes mega Bytes cost £120! They used to blame it on the cost of quality silicon and fires in various factories but they know it is a product that is always in demand so can give them maximum returns on a small price rise + the pound has dropped again as already said.

mr.potato_head;6415043

hmm maybe it has...ive only been interested in custom build pcs for about … hmm maybe it has...ive only been interested in custom build pcs for about 6 months and have only ever seen it at the cheaper price! Was just surprised to see it happen when new technology is out now.

Here's a few pointers:

RAM prices for new types start off high, then bottom out and then will rise again once they are on the way out. (Beginning = low availability/high cost to manufacture, Middle = High availability/Oversupply, End = low availability)

Top end CPUs of a type of socket/architecture will always fetch a premium (even when they are several generations old)

Graphics cards almost never hold their value and will generally drop in price the fastest rate of all components.

Cases and PSUs generally remain static in price (I'm talking about quality gear, not the super cheap cases that chop fingers off and PSUs that will only last a few months)

mr.potato_head;6414981

They have actually, quite a lot. especially processors.

The memory market is volatile at the moment which has pushed prices up (as has some other technologies), hopefully they'll start coming down again soon.

John

mr.potato_head;6414981

RAM is a special case due to volatility in supply has been for last 20 years, its just had a good run recently.

Generally PC price halve every 18months for optimum spec , this has not been the case over the last 18 months due to pound freefall as stated
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. I banned myself from HUKD for 3m, I saved so much money!2642
    2. Thousands of minimum wage workers to receive part of £2,000,000 compensatio…44
    3. Weekly game codes giveaway 183722
    4. How much would you pay for this chair?1214

See more discussions