Groups

Why is it that when you put a cheque for a large amount in the bank it takes longer than ones for under a thousand pounds? :x

When i put cheques in normally it only takes 3 days to clear but it seems every time i put in a cheque for thousands (which isn't very often lol) it never does?

12 Comments

Ask BG1 or KFC this must be a daily occurruence for them.

Maybe extra security checks over 1K, that's the rubbish the banks would tell you.

There are extra security checks depending on who the cheque comes from.

because they want the higher amounts to stay in their holding accounts obviously.....:roll:...the more they delay on putting it into accounts the less interest they have to pay.....

Original Poster

ahhh right thanks guys :thumbsup: it's just so annoying as i want to start spending it :lol:
    as for asking BG1 or KFC.... yeah right :whistling: :lol:

I've put 2 cheques in the last year (both for more than £1k but im not JFK or BG1 so i'm not gonna say they were for £250k) and they both cleared really really quickly, much faster than I was expecting!

I am with Natwest btw

It's because they count each penny by hand when transferring between accounts.

Did my work experience in a bank many years ago and there was one rule

Checks under £500 were just processed & anything over was subjected to checks on the signature. May still be the case

Original Poster

rwm24;6460788

I've put 2 cheques in the last year (both for more than £1k but im not … I've put 2 cheques in the last year (both for more than £1k but im not JFK or BG1 so i'm not gonna say they were for £250k) and they both cleared really really quickly, much faster than I was expecting!I am with Natwest btw

i'm with natwest as well :? the cheque was from hsbc - a lovely big cheque from accountants on behalf of inland revenue

Original Poster

id3als;6460891

Did my work experience in a bank many years ago and there was one … Did my work experience in a bank many years ago and there was one ruleChecks under £500 were just processed & anything over was subjected to checks on the signature. May still be the case

how much longer does it take if they have to do checks? :?

I used to work in a bank (hubby still does) and cheques should all take the same amount of time to clear, regardless of how much it's for. Whether it's a cheque for 1p or a cheque for £1000, they should all take 4 working days to clear ie. pay a cheque in on Monday before the close of business and you'll be able to take the cash out at the start of business on Friday.

If larger cheques are taking longer to clear then I should get in touch with your bank to see why, perhaps they're not banking it on the same day you take it in for some reason. Do you take the larger cheques into your bank like the smaller ones, or do you post them in?

cheerleader;6460960

how much longer does it take if they have to do checks? :?

It was only an extra day if anything. This was in the mid 90's, so things may well be different now

Original Poster

Annie1508;6462382

I used to work in a bank (hubby still does) and cheques should all take … I used to work in a bank (hubby still does) and cheques should all take the same amount of time to clear, regardless of how much it's for. Whether it's a cheque for 1p or a cheque for £1000, they should all take 4 working days to clear ie. pay a cheque in on Monday before the close of business and you'll be able to take the cash out at the start of business on Friday.If larger cheques are taking longer to clear then I should get in touch with your bank to see why, perhaps they're not banking it on the same day you take it in for some reason. Do you take the larger cheques into your bank like the smaller ones, or do you post them in?

that's strange cos normally if i pay in a cheque on a monday it's normally clear on the wednesday :? i always take cheques in the bank but have found when the amount is for thousands they tend to take longer to clear :?
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. What do you feel like whinging about today?1927357
      2. Shana Tova to all Jewish HUKDers1824
      3. love affairs1342
      4. Lets hope that there are as few injuries as possible - Parson's Green40213

See more discussions