Expired

Why is Karvol not available in the shops any more?

Found 16th Dec 2012
One or two online chemists have the capsules but you can't get the small bottles anywhere and a chemist told me it hasn't been available for months.
Community Updates
Misc
28 Comments
Damn G666 beat me to it by seconds.

Appears as available on ultrapharmacy.co.uk/kar…tml but can't vouch for the site.
We have used this for all our ruggies and still have a bottle thats about 6 years old and nearly run out now.
Edited by: "harlzter" 16th Dec 2012
whatsThePoint

maybe it has something to do with … maybe it has something to do with thishttp://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/9131315/Shortage-of-household-medicines-due-to-licensing-issue.html

No mention of Karvol on there but may just be an error of omission as its the same company.

The products affected include: Paramol, Syndol, Remegel, Merocane, … The products affected include: Paramol, Syndol, Remegel, Merocane, Merocets, Ralgex, Medised, Earex, Cuprafen, Melthus, Resolve, Diocalm, Derbac, Medinol, Burneze, Waspeze, Compound W.

Edited by: "harlzter" 16th Dec 2012
The item has been discontinued.
Spammed

The item has been discontinued.

source?
have you tried Olbas oil ..same kind of thing i think
They have them in my local pharmacy and Boots as well.
harlzter

source?

I work in a chemist. We recently tried to purchase one through our online ordering system and the product is shown as discontinued.
tesco extra sell it picked some up a week or so back..
Edited by: "ukmonkey" 16th Dec 2012
whatsThePoint

why not just ring up the company and ask them?Reckitt Benckiser … why not just ring up the company and ask them?Reckitt Benckiser Healthcare (UK) Ltd Freepost, RSBU-TEBT-GSTU, Reckitt Benckiser, Kingston Upon Thames, KT2 6LZ, UK Telephone: +44 (0)500 455 456 WWW: http://www.reckittbenckiser.com Medical Information Direct Line: +44 (0)500 455 456 Customer Care direct line: +44 (0)500 455 456

Looking through their site and clicking on UK seems to suggest its still available (or at least not discontinued)
karvol.co.uk/the…php
Tried all local chemists and they all say they cannot obtain supplies of Karvol .Now using Tesco Vapour Rub instead-its very effective and only £1 a tub .
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/9131315/Shortage-of-household-medicines-due-to-licensing-issue.html

I know Karvol isn’t specifically mentioned but I also know Rennie soft chews and Remegel have been off the market since last year. According to the article they should be coming back but who knows when!

Some people have recommended snufflebabe instead. Also if you have an oil burner you can also use a mixture of essential oils such as Eucalyptus, Camphor and Pine. A few drops of each in the burner or in the water.

Also the Karvol website hasn't been updated since November 2010!!
http://www.karvol.co.uk/the_karvol_range/karvol_decongestant_drops.php

I did try contacting them a while ago via their contact form and received the response below:

"Unfortunately, there is a long term out of stock issue with our Karvol range and we are unable to confirm when this product will be back in stock. We can only recommend you to speak to a healthcare professional for an alternative treatment."

Lets hope they sort it out soon and it comes back on the shelves.
Susan
Reply ↓
I got some today from Superdrug, they only had the capsules though
WHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT?????????????

me and my kids have been brought up on this stuff!!!! need moaaaaaaaaaar
I've only ever seen the capsules, what are you lot talking about?
sancho1983

I've only ever seen the capsules, what are you lot talking about?

Can get it in bottles too (or you could),

Top tip for capsules if you don't have scissors handy using your teeth is NOT a good idea as you end up with a squirt of karvol in the gob and will be tasting it for day or so.
harlzter

Can get it in bottles too (or you could), Top tip for capsules if you … Can get it in bottles too (or you could), Top tip for capsules if you don't have scissors handy using your teeth is NOT a good idea as you end up with a squirt of karvol in the gob and will be tasting it for day or so.

Yeah, I've done that too.

A bottle full of the same liquid that's in the capsules? I love the stuff still now, I think the smell of the capsules is some sort of placebo as it always makes me feel loads better.
Argh! Been using this for nearly 2 years now!!!! Stumbled on it by accident in my local Boots! Since been unable to purchase from same Boots and a major huge Boots Superstore. Not at local huge Tesco's either! Trying Olbas oil but only 2nd night so see how we go :-/

Tried purchasing online but all out of stock. Want Karvol!!!!!!!!
olympians

Proscript link by anychance?

Ignore previous posts, was thinking of forceval.

Karvol is indeed discontinued, the entire range just had a double check.
Edited by: "olympians" 4th Apr 2013
Just found a brand new bottle whilst sorting the medicine cupboard, do you reckon I should ebay it?
harlzter

Looking through their site and clicking on UK seems to suggest its still … Looking through their site and clicking on UK seems to suggest its still available (or at least not discontinued)http://www.karvol.co.uk/the_karvol_range/karvol_decongestant_drops.php

Karvol have not updated the website since 2010!
My local chemist told me its unavailable due to a fire at the manufacturing plant. Do not know if this is true or not.
Just tried to find Karvol capsules as my mother used them when I was little and I felt a little nostalgic given I currently have a stinking cold. However, I have used Olbas oil for years as an adult on a tissue with a little cotton wool in and it works equally as well. I would highly recommend as an alternative. Shame about Karvol capsules though......
Anybody put there have the re-fills for the Karvol plug? Can't get anywhere?
Drinksafe

Anybody put there have the re-fills for the Karvol plug? Can't get … Anybody put there have the re-fills for the Karvol plug? Can't get anywhere?

eBay has some listed http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_odkw=karvol+refills&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313&_nkw=karvol+refills&_sacat=0
also Amazon amazon.co.uk/gp/…rch?ie=UTF8&keywords=karvol+plug+in&tag=mycroft16-21&index=blended&linkCode=ur2&camp=1634&creative=6738

Edit: Did you actually try looking online? Many places have the refills in.
Edited by: "harlzter" 30th Jun 2013
Had kalvol as a child over thirty years ago. Both my children have used it and it worked unlike other alternatives. Deeply disappointed this is no longer available

Sorry, commenting is no longer available on this discussion.

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants